what's the difference?
Author Message
 what's the difference?

What exactly is the difference between qbasic 4.5 and pds 7.1 besides
a better help section?

|_|_|_|/|
|_|_|_|/|
|_|_|_|/

Fri, 02 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 what's the difference?

Quote:

>What exactly is the difference between qbasic 4.5 and pds 7.1 besides
>a better help section?

- PDS offers some basic ISAM (database-stuff) support.
- PDS can compile to 286+ optimized code as well - QB is limited to XT.
- PDS includes some commands like CHDRIVE and DIR$
- PDS is 5-10 times as expensive, and harder to find.

There are most likely some other minor differences, but this is all I can
think of at the moment.
--
Marc van den Dikkenberg
--

Fri, 02 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 what's the difference?
PDS 7.1 allowed larger arrays or should I say access to larger files using
ISAM. As well PDS 7.1 allowed the user to create EXE's that are compiled
with certain optimizations, like 80286 specific code, making faster
executables. In addition to all of this, it came with mouse support, GUI and
scaleable font support, and math and table support in the form of libraries.
As well it came with CodeView, and a help writer, along with some other neat
utilities. All in all, for most programming, all of these advantages, except
of course the compiler optimizations, can be had using libraries available
to all on the net somewhere. I personally found PDS7.1 geared toward
professionals who wrote distributed apps, not for the casual user. I still
use QB45 for most of my DOS programming, as most of the additions to PDS7.1
only complicate matters for me. I use public domain and freeware GUI
libraries in QB45 that quite frankly blow away anything that comes with
PDS7.1. Not that they couldn't be used there but it's just a whole lot
simpler this way. When I write something that would benefit from 286
optimization, I compile with PDS7.1, but still start with QB45.
Hope this helps some.
HK
Quote:

>What exactly is the difference between qbasic 4.5 and pds 7.1 besides
>a better help section?

>|_|_|_|/|
>|_|_|_|/|
>|_|_|_|/

Fri, 02 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 what's the difference?
It's free, at http://www.angelfire.com/yt/tev, too.

Quote:

> >What exactly is the difference between qbasic 4.5 and pds 7.1 besides
> >a better help section?

> - PDS offers some basic ISAM (database-stuff) support.
> - PDS can compile to 286+ optimized code as well - QB is limited to XT.
> - PDS includes some commands like CHDRIVE and DIR$
> - PDS is 5-10 times as expensive, and harder to find.

> There are most likely some other minor differences, but this is all I can
> think of at the moment.
> --
> Marc van den Dikkenberg
> --
> The PowerBasic Archives -- http://www.xs4all.nl/~excel/pb.html
> All Basic Code Archives -- http://come.to/abcpackets

Sat, 03 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 what's the difference?

Quote:

>It's free, at http://www.angelfire.com/yt/tev, too.

Legally ?? No, no ...

- Thomas Daugaard

Quote:

>> >What exactly is the difference between qbasic 4.5 and pds 7.1 besides
>> >a better help section?

>> - PDS offers some basic ISAM (database-stuff) support.
>> - PDS can compile to 286+ optimized code as well - QB is limited to XT.
>> - PDS includes some commands like CHDRIVE and DIR$
>> - PDS is 5-10 times as expensive, and harder to find.

>> There are most likely some other minor differences, but this is all I can
>> think of at the moment.
>> --
>> Marc van den Dikkenberg
>> --
>> The PowerBasic Archives -- http://www.xs4all.nl/~excel/pb.html
>> All Basic Code Archives -- http://come.to/abcpackets

Sun, 04 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. what's the difference...(chr(13)) and vbCr

2. What's the difference between ....

3. What's the difference between .Send and .Save

4. What's the difference

5. what's the difference

6. In this case, what's the difference between CSharp and VB.NET Exception Handling

7. what's the difference

8. Where's the difference

9. What's the difference?

10. What's the difference

11. OCX vs DLL: what's the difference ?

12. Join and Where: What's the difference?