PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic
Author Message
 PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic

My company (very large) is now serious about finding folks to help (as
in do a lot of the work) for a PDS 7.1 to powerbasic conversion.  I am
_not_ a recruiter I work at the company.  If you are interested call
732-516-3009 and leave a message if I do not pick up.  Prefer a daytime
phone but will take both or night time.  If you are a body shop then
please do not bother unless you have folks available who _know_ PB
(Console Compiler version).  Unfortunately I can not give more info in a
news group.

LB

Sun, 25 Dec 2005 00:15:20 GMT
 PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic
Hmm ... does this make me want to get PowerBasic

- or should I stick with VB and Delphi ?

Quote:

>My company (very large) is now serious about finding folks to help (as
>in do a lot of the work) for a PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic conversion.  I am
>_not_ a recruiter I work at the company.  If you are interested call
>732-516-3009 and leave a message if I do not pick up.  Prefer a daytime
>phone but will take both or night time.  If you are a body shop then
>please do not bother unless you have folks available who _know_ PB
>(Console Compiler version).  Unfortunately I can not give more info in a
>news group.

>LB

Sun, 25 Dec 2005 01:30:28 GMT
 PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic
Stick with VB and Delphi.  We have a very special need.
We would convert to VB if we could but the effort is appears vastly
harder than going to PowerBasic.

LB

Quote:

> Hmm ... does this make me want to get PowerBasic

> - or should I stick with VB and Delphi ?

> >My company (very large) is now serious about finding folks to help (as
> >in do a lot of the work) for a PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic conversion.  I am
> >_not_ a recruiter I work at the company.  If you are interested call
> >732-516-3009 and leave a message if I do not pick up.  Prefer a daytime
> >phone but will take both or night time.  If you are a body shop then
> >please do not bother unless you have folks available who _know_ PB
> >(Console Compiler version).  Unfortunately I can not give more info in a
> >news group.

> >LB

Sun, 25 Dec 2005 03:03:00 GMT
 PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic

Quote:

>My company (very large) is now serious about finding folks to help (as
>in do a lot of the work) for a PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic conversion.  I am
>_not_ a recruiter I work at the company.  If you are interested call
>732-516-3009 and leave a message if I do not pick up.  Prefer a daytime
>phone but will take both or night time.  If you are a body shop then
>please do not bother unless you have folks available who _know_ PB
>(Console Compiler version).  Unfortunately I can not give more info in a
>news group.

Do you need to convert to text mode for windows, or do you need GUI.

I have been working on a Basic compiler that reads PDS 7.1 source, and
the result is a windows console program.  It's just now in Beta, but
the parts that work, work.

--
Arargh at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
Basic Compiler Samples Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/basic.html

To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.

Sun, 25 Dec 2005 03:32:58 GMT
 PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic

Quote:

> >My company (very large) is now serious about finding folks to help (as
> >in do a lot of the work) for a PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic conversion.  I am
> >_not_ a recruiter I work at the company.  If you are interested call
> >732-516-3009 and leave a message if I do not pick up.  Prefer a daytime
> >phone but will take both or night time.  If you are a body shop then
> >please do not bother unless you have folks available who _know_ PB
> >(Console Compiler version).  Unfortunately I can not give more info in a
> >news group.

> Do you need to convert to text mode for windows, or do you need GUI.

> I have been working on a Basic compiler that reads PDS 7.1 source, and
> the result is a windows console program.  It's just now in Beta, but
> the parts that work, work.

> --
> Arargh at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
> Basic Compiler Samples Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/basic.html

> To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.

Text mode, but the company lives on this system and would never try
something really new <SIGH>  Hell the network is Novell 4.11 and NT.

LB

Sun, 25 Dec 2005 05:56:41 GMT
 PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic

Quote:

>Stick with VB and Delphi.  We have a very special need.
>We would convert to VB if we could but the effort is appears vastly
>harder than going to PowerBasic.

What makes you say that ?

I guess it is because you want Console stuff

There is a plug in for the VB6 IDE that allows you to (very simply)
produce VB6 console Apps

- basically it exploits a Linker option

There was a thread that brought it up recently in one of the VB NGs

Sun, 25 Dec 2005 15:56:36 GMT
 PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 07:56:36 +0000 (UTC),

Quote:

>>Stick with VB and Delphi.  We have a very special need.
>>We would convert to VB if we could but the effort is appears vastly
>>harder than going to PowerBasic.

>What makes you say that ?

>I guess it is because you want Console stuff

>There is a plug in for the VB6 IDE that allows you to (very simply)
>produce VB6 console Apps

>- basically it exploits a Linker option

>There was a thread that brought it up recently in one of the VB NGs

But the overhead will kill you.  The console output seems quite slow.
And, you still need all those huge dll's.  I have written console
programs with VB6, all you need to is to patch the exe to 'console'
from 'windows'.  In fact, I wrote a little utility to do just that.
In PDS, of course. :-)

--
Arargh307 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
Basic Compiler Samples Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/basic.html

To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.

Sun, 25 Dec 2005 17:42:55 GMT
 PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic

Quote:
>On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 07:56:36 +0000 (UTC),

<snip>

>>There is a plug in for the VB6 IDE that allows you to (very simply)
>>produce VB6 console Apps

>>- basically it exploits a Linker option

>>There was a thread that brought it up recently in one of the VB NGs
>But the overhead will kill you.  The console output seems quite slow.
>And, you still need all those huge dll's.  I have written console
>programs with VB6, all you need to is to patch the exe to 'console'
>from 'windows'.  In fact, I wrote a little utility to do just that.
>In PDS, of course. :-)

Interesting - I've not tried it - thanks - I'll avoid it

Realistically I do not think that it is all that difficult to
'simulate' Console Mode in VB

- VB code can be 'linear'

Sun, 25 Dec 2005 17:57:22 GMT
 PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 09:57:22 +0000 (UTC),

Quote:

<snip>
>>But the overhead will kill you.  The console output seems quite slow.
>>And, you still need all those huge dll's.  I have written console
>>programs with VB6, all you need to is to patch the exe to 'console'
>>from 'windows'.  In fact, I wrote a little utility to do just that.
>>In PDS, of course. :-)

>Interesting - I've not tried it - thanks - I'll avoid it

>Realistically I do not think that it is all that difficult to
>'simulate' Console Mode in VB

VB has no PRINT, LOCATE, CLS or anything else related to console
screen output.  So, you have to write the equivalent routines.  If you
patch the EXE to console mode, you can skip the AllocateConsole API
call, but you still have to go thru a lot of nonsense to make it work.
The routine I wrote to do the simulation runs about 62k as a source
file.

The compiler that I am writing is much easier to use.  But it won't do
GUI.  The new web pages will be up sometime this week.

--
Arargh307 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
Basic Compiler Samples Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/basic.html

To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.

Sun, 25 Dec 2005 18:09:41 GMT
 PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic

Quote:

> My company (very large) is now serious about finding folks to help (as
> in do a lot of the work) for a PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic conversion.  I am
> _not_ a recruiter I work at the company.  If you are interested call
> 732-516-3009 and leave a message if I do not pick up.  Prefer a daytime
> phone but will take both or night time.  If you are a body shop then
> please do not bother unless you have folks available who _know_ PB
> (Console Compiler version).  Unfortunately I can not give more info in a
> news group.

> LB

I need to look for 732... No idea where that is.

I have maintained PB/CC apps for a few major companies. They seem to like
the speed, and since so much of their code is AIX, the users cannot tell the
difference between PB/CC and a terminal session. Sadly.

I love PB/CC for those sorts of routines. Heck, it isn't a half-bad CGI
tool, even. Quite honestly, I use PHP/MySQL on my Macintosh, though, for web
programming. Silly me, I like Un*x platforms for web services.

Yes, I would love to work on a console application for the heck of it. Not
like I'm doing much else lately... Love the slowdown.

C. S. Wyatt
Tameri Publications
http://www.tameri.com

Sun, 25 Dec 2005 18:19:13 GMT
 PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic

<snip>

Quote:
>VB has no PRINT, LOCATE, CLS or anything else related to console
>screen output.  So, you have to write the equivalent routines.

Yes, but no great hardship
- the nastiest bit I found was the Cursor
- and that was not particularly hard
Quote:
>If you
>patch the EXE to console mode, you can skip the AllocateConsole API
>call, but you still have to go thru a lot of nonsense to make it work.
>The routine I wrote to do the simulation runs about 62k as a source
>file.

>The compiler that I am writing is much easier to use.  But it won't do
>GUI.  The new web pages will be up sometime this week.

I'll keep an eye out for it ... bookmarked
Quote:

>--
>Arargh307 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
>Basic Compiler Samples Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/basic.html

>To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.

Sun, 25 Dec 2005 18:39:47 GMT
 PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic

Quote:
> I need to look for 732... No idea where that is.

732 is Central New Jersey: Toms River, New Brunswick, Bound Brook.

--
Subtract 250 to email me.
Free Bible Software:

Sun, 25 Dec 2005 23:08:30 GMT
 PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic

Quote:

>>My company (very large) is now serious about finding folks to help (as
>>in do a lot of the work) for a PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic conversion.  I am
>>_not_ a recruiter I work at the company.  If you are interested call
>>732-516-3009 and leave a message if I do not pick up.  Prefer a daytime
>>phone but will take both or night time.  If you are a body shop then
>>please do not bother unless you have folks available who _know_ PB
>>(Console Compiler version).  Unfortunately I can not give more info in a
>>news group.

>Do you need to convert to text mode for windows, or do you need GUI.

>I have been working on a Basic compiler that reads PDS 7.1 source, and
>the result is a windows console program.  It's just now in Beta, but
>the parts that work, work.

Are you looking for Beta testers?  I do more Unix than DOS, but I do both.

Mon, 26 Dec 2005 03:32:07 GMT
 PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:39:47 +0000 (UTC),

Quote:

><snip>
>>VB has no PRINT, LOCATE, CLS or anything else related to console
>>screen output.  So, you have to write the equivalent routines.
>Yes, but no great hardship
>- the nastiest bit I found was the Cursor
>- and that was not particularly hard

Thats the API call that expects a structure to be passed 'BYVAL',
which doesn't work in VB.

Quote:
>>If you
>>patch the EXE to console mode, you can skip the AllocateConsole API
>>call, but you still have to go thru a lot of nonsense to make it work.
>>The routine I wrote to do the simulation runs about 62k as a source
>>file.

>>The compiler that I am writing is much easier to use.  But it won't do
>>GUI.  The new web pages will be up sometime this week.
>I'll keep an eye out for it ... bookmarked

>>--
>>Arargh307 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
>>Basic Compiler Samples Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/basic.html

This URL will change for the new pages.
Change the last 'basic' to 'index'.

Quote:

>>To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.

--
Arargh307 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
Basic Compiler Samples Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/basic.html

To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.

Mon, 26 Dec 2005 11:07:54 GMT

 [ 23 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Year2K Compliance of Microsoft Basic PDS 7.1 and Consulting Firms specializing in Y2K and PDS 7.1

2. QB 7.1 (sorry - PDS 7.1)

3. DLLs in QB 7.1 PDS

4. PDS 7.1 date validation

5. MS PDS 7.1 and ProBas 5.6

6. FS: QBasic PDS 7.1

7. PDS 7.1 Extender

8. PDS 7.1 and HPFS

9. PDS (Qbasic 7.1) and com3: & com4:

10. Problems with PDS 7.1 ?

11. PDS 7.1: Link syntax..help please!

12. command line arguments in QB 7.1 PDS