Communication Problem
Author Message
 Communication Problem

How can I send data from one Pc to another via Qbasic program?
Connection through serial port(Com2).
Thanks!!

Mon, 20 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Communication Problem

Quote:
> Here's a story: I once had a laptop with no modem and
> a home computer with one. I linked the laptop into
> the home computer with a cable and then set up a QB
> program on the home computer that acted as a pipe between
> the serial cable on com1 and the modem on com2. Then I used
> the laptop to log into the internet using the home computers
> modem and as far as the laptop could tell it thought it had
> a modem. The point? There isn't one, I just wanted
> to see if it'd work! It's that kind of experimention
> that gets me into trouble. :)

"I dread to think that someday all my childhood experiences will
become stories with no point" - Calvin & Hobbes (Bill Watterson, 1996).

Just out of interest, was that a program which sat waiting for input,
and anything it received it sent straight to the modem, as if it
wasn't there, like;

OPEN "COM1" FOR INPUT AS #1
OPEN "COM2" FOR OUTPUT AS #2

DO
LINE INPUT #1,A$
PRINT #2,A$
LOOP WHILE INKEY$ = ""

CLOSE
END

Simon.

Mon, 20 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Communication Problem

Check out the "OPEN COM" command in the on-line QBasic help.

Quote:
> How can I send data from one Pc to another via Qbasic program?
> Connection through serial port(Com2).

Mon, 20 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Communication Problem

Quote:
> No, it was more like (of the top of my head):
> OPEN COM1 FOR RANDOM AS #1
> OPEN COM2 FOR RANDOM AS #2
> DO
> IF LOF(1)>0 THEN
>           'INPUT A STRING THE LENGTH OF LOF(1)ON COM1
>           'AND WRITE IT TO COM2
>           END IF
> IF LOF(2)>0 THEN
>           'READ COM2 AND WRITE IT TO COM1
>           END IF
> LOOP
> That's a general idea, just fill in the remarks with
> the approriate code.

Hey, I wonder if that would fool Win95? You know, have 1 pc with a
modem and that program running, have second PC connected to it with
win95 running and pretend there was a modem on com2 of the second PC,
would windows find it?

Actually, I could try that meself, and probably will now.
I know windows will let you have a Doom deathmatch across com1-com2
with 2 instances of doom going. (in case you care :)

Simon.

Tue, 21 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Communication Problem

Quote:
> > Hey, I wonder if that would fool Win95? You know, have 1 pc with a
> > modem and that program running, have second PC connected to it with
> > win95 running and pretend there was a modem on com2 of the second PC,
> > would windows find it?
> Yeah, that's what I used it for but with a laptop with no
> modem running win95/explorer.
> > Actually, I could try that meself, and probably will now.
> > I know windows will let you have a Doom deathmatch across com1-com2
> > with 2 instances of doom going. (in case you care :)
> That's something I've never tried. Kind of makes it
> dificult to play, don't it. :)

With conventional stuff yes, but some company recently released an
add-on card which takes up a PCI slot, and allows you to connect
another monitor, keyboard and mouse to the one base unit, meaning two
people can use 1 pc at a time, doing different things through windows
multi-tasking. With that idea they could have a deathmatch too...

Simon.

Wed, 22 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Communication Problem

Quote:
> > > That's something I've never tried. Kind of makes it
> > > dificult to play, don't it. :)
> > With conventional stuff yes, but some company recently released an
> > add-on card which takes up a PCI slot, and allows you to connect
> > another monitor, keyboard and mouse to the one base unit, meaning two
> > people can use 1 pc at a time, doing different things through windows
> > multi-tasking. With that idea they could have a deathmatch too...
> > Simon.
> I'll bet after all that you'd be better off making
> a cheap P100 and just running the cable to it.

Very probably, since the card is over 200 (UK) and you still need an
extra monitor, keyboard, mouse and a decent enough PC.
Perhaps if space is Extreeeeemly tight it might be worth it though.

Simon.

Thu, 23 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Communication problems, not relation problems:)

2. Communications Problem in QuickBasic

3. QB$% QB45, serial communications problem

4. communications problem

5. Serial Communications Problem

6. Sportrak pro communications problem

7. IO Communication problem

8. COMmunication Problem...

9. VB6: serial communication problem

10. WHY?????? ( serial communications problem)

11. serial communication problems

12. communications problem