Patch for "SHELL" in QBASIC/1.1 under Win95?
Author Message
 Patch for "SHELL" in QBASIC/1.1 under Win95?

I'm running Win95, and I'm trying to use QBASIC to go through a file
of Internet URL's. I use line input, and then I do:

SHELL "START "+A$

Since MSIE is my default browser, this causes MSIE to go to the URL in
A$. If MSIE is not running, it will run. If it is currently running,
the current instance will go to that URL.

Here's the trouble--some URL's are very long, for example, if they
contain search strings or a registration number/password for a site.
Apparently, Win95's DOS 7 and older versions of DOS have different
limitations on length of command line and QBASIC is hard wired for the
older limit. (Probably it was changed in 7.0 to allow for long file
names.) Is there any way to patch QBASIC for the new limitation or to
eliminate it altogether?

As a work-around, I can create a temporary batch file with the line
and then run that instead.

 "The Misinformation Highway Begins Here."

        -- Monty python Web Site ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ )

Remove the /*nospam*/ from my email address for an email reply.

Warning--I complain about junk mail and I know how to read headers,
use WHOIS and TRACEROUTE.

Tue, 06 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Patch for "SHELL" in QBASIC/1.1 under Win95?

Quote:

> I'm running Win95, and I'm trying to use QBASIC to go through a file
> of Internet URL's. I use line input, and then I do:

> SHELL "START "+A$

> Since MSIE is my default browser, this causes MSIE to go to the URL in
> A$. If MSIE is not running, it will run. If it is currently running,
> the current instance will go to that URL.

> Here's the trouble--some URL's are very long, for example, if they
> contain search strings or a registration number/password for a site.
> Apparently, Win95's DOS 7 and older versions of DOS have different
> limitations on length of command line and QBASIC is hard wired for the
> older limit. (Probably it was changed in 7.0 to allow for long file
> names.) Is there any way to patch QBASIC for the new limitation or to
> eliminate it altogether?

> As a work-around, I can create a temporary batch file with the line
> and then run that instead.

>  "The Misinformation Highway Begins Here."

>         -- Monty Python Web Site (http://www.pythonline.com)

> Remove the /*nospam*/ from my email address for an email reply.

> Warning--I complain about junk mail and I know how to read headers,
> use WHOIS and TRACEROUTE.

It's very easy... :)
It's kinda difficult to explain or give you the code, but it's very easy
to figure out.

--
People can believe what they want - as long as they don't know anything!

Hiroshima 45, Chernobyl 86, Windows 95

Jubii or not Jubii - where's the question ?

Wed, 07 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Patch for "SHELL" in QBASIC/1.1 under Win95?

Quote:

> > I'm running Win95, and I'm trying to use QBASIC to go through a file
> > of Internet URL's. I use line input, and then I do:

> > SHELL "START "+A$

> > Since MSIE is my default browser, this causes MSIE to go to the URL in
> > A$. If MSIE is not running, it will run. If it is currently running,
> > the current instance will go to that URL.

> > Here's the trouble--some URL's are very long, for example, if they
> > contain search strings or a registration number/password for a site.
> > Apparently, Win95's DOS 7 and older versions of DOS have different
> > limitations on length of command line and QBASIC is hard wired for the
> > older limit. (Probably it was changed in 7.0 to allow for long file
> > names.) Is there any way to patch QBASIC for the new limitation or to
> > eliminate it altogether?

> > As a work-around, I can create a temporary batch file with the line
> > and then run that instead.

> It's very easy... :)
> It's kinda difficult to explain or give you the code, but it's very easy
> to figure out.

Now that's no help.

If it's so "very easy" then why is is so difficult to explain or post
some code?
Go ahead give it a try.  At least a hint.

--

Bangor, Pa. USA

Thu, 08 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Patch for "SHELL" in QBASIC/1.1 under Win95?

: I'm running Win95, and I'm trying to use QBASIC to go through a file
: of Internet URL's. I use line input, and then I do:

: SHELL "START "+A$

: names.) Is there any way to patch QBASIC for the new limitation or to
: eliminate it altogether?

I'm not sure how to do exactly what you're asking, but I've noticed that
you can eliminate the http:// part of a web site's URL when using many
web browsers.  You might be able to make the long URLs less troublesome
by removing those 7 characters, and if you make a copy of the Internet
Explorer exe file (call it x.exe or ix.exe), you can make your shell
statement even shorter.

Hope this helps,

Carl

 author of Liberty BASIC, a 1996 PC Magazine Awards Finalist!
 http://world.std.com/~carlg/basic.html

Fri, 09 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Patch for "SHELL" in QBASIC/1.1 under Win95?

Quote:
> I'm running Win95, and I'm trying to use QBASIC to go through a file
> of Internet URL's. I use line input, and then I do:

> SHELL "START "+A$

> Since MSIE is my default browser, this causes MSIE to go to the URL in
> A$. If MSIE is not running, it will run. If it is currently running,
> the current instance will go to that URL.

> Here's the trouble--some URL's are very long, for example, if they
> contain search strings or a registration number/password for a site.
> Apparently, Win95's DOS 7 and older versions of DOS have different
> limitations on length of command line and QBASIC is hard wired for the
> older limit. (Probably it was changed in 7.0 to allow for long file
> names.) Is there any way to patch QBASIC for the new limitation or to
> eliminate it altogether?

Try this:

SHELL "START  " + CHR$(34) + A$ + CHR$(34)

Where urlname is the URL of the site you want.
This will put quotes around A$ which the DOS command line needs for long
filenames.

Tom Lake

Sat, 10 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Patch for "SHELL" in QBASIC/1.1 under Win95?

Quote:

> I'm running Win95, and I'm trying to use QBASIC to go through a file
> of Internet URL's. I use line input, and then I do:

> SHELL "START "+A$

> Since MSIE is my default browser, this causes MSIE to go to the URL in
> A$. If MSIE is not running, it will run. If it is currently running,
> the current instance will go to that URL.

> Here's the trouble--some URL's are very long, for example, if they
> contain search strings or a registration number/password for a site.
> Apparently, Win95's DOS 7 and older versions of DOS have different
> limitations on length of command line and QBASIC is hard wired for the
> older limit. (Probably it was changed in 7.0 to allow for long file
> names.) Is there any way to patch QBASIC for the new limitation or to
> eliminate it altogether?

> As a work-around, I can create a temporary batch file with the line
> and then run that instead.

>  "The Misinformation Highway Begins Here."

>         -- Monty Python Web Site (http://www.pythonline.com)

> Remove the /*nospam*/ from my email address for an email reply.

> Warning--I complain about junk mail and I know how to read headers,
> use WHOIS and TRACEROUTE.

well here is my idea which may or may not be any good....
first whats the max string limit.. lets say it 30 for example
do something like this
IF LEN(A$) > 30 then
        a1$ = right$(a$, 29)            'grabs first 29 chars of a$
        a2$ = left$(a$, (len(a$)-29)    'grabs last part of a$
        if a2$ > 30    'if ur going to a hella long site name
                a3$ = left$(a$, (len(a2$)-58) 'grabs whats left
        end if
end if

my math maybe off but i think that would work....

--

                                               -=(SS)Der Tod=-

Tue, 13 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. SHELL statement in QBasic 1.1

2. *"*-.,._,.-*"* I"LL TRADE VISUAL C++ FOR VBASIC *"*-.,_,.-*"*

3. "QBASIC Games and More" Disk

4. Qbasic newbie Question on "inputs"

5. "Running QBASIC" book code

6. "QBasic By Example, Special Edition"