64K string limitation 
Author Message
 64K string limitation

I am running out of string memory in QBASIC.  No I don't have QB.  Can anyone
 help me with storing string information through assembly language.  I also
 need to be able to access this string information by performing a string
 search (INSTR command) in assembly language.  Can anyone help me with this or
 give me advice on which basic language might help.  I need to be able to store
 about 400K worth of strings and be able to do fast searches on these strings.



Fri, 05 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 64K string limitation



Quote:
> I am running out of string memory in QBASIC.  No I don't have QB.  Can
anyone
>  help me with storing string information through assembly language.  I

also

There is no help for you if you want to stick with QBasic, but if you want
to
go to Quick Basic 4.5, it will handle large string arrays if you run it
with a
/ah command line option.  You can get QB 4.5 at http://www.provantage.com

jdm



Fri, 05 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 64K string limitation

Quote:



>> I am running out of string memory in QBASIC.  No I don't have QB.  Can
>anyone
>>  help me with storing string information through assembly language.  I
>also
>There is no help for you if you want to stick with QBasic, but if you want
>to
>go to Quick Basic 4.5, it will handle large string arrays if you run it
>with a
>/ah command line option.  You can get QB 4.5 at http://www.provantage.com
>jdm

Nonsense.

R



Tue, 09 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 64K string limitation

Quote:



> > > I am running out of string memory in QBASIC.  No I don't have QB.
> > > Can anyone help me with storing string information through assembly
> > > language.

> > There is no help for you if you want to stick with QBasic, but if you
> > want to go to Quick Basic 4.5, it will handle large string arrays if
> > you run it with a /ah command line option.
> > You can get QB 4.5 at http://www.provantage.com

> Nonsense.

I'm curious.  As far as I can see, the paragraph above is entirely correct.
Which part is nonsense?

  A. There is no help for you if you want to stick with QBasic?
  B. QuickBasic 4.5 will handle large string arrays?
  C. Run QuickBasic with a /ah command line option to do it?
  D. You can get QB 4.5 at http://www.provantage.com?
  E. All of the above?
  F. Some subset of the above?
  G. Something else which I didn't list?

Presumably, you post something for others to read.  What is the point of
stating something is nonsense, if you do not make it clear exactly what is
nonsense?  And it is far more believable to say "Such and such is nonsense,
because ..." and detail the reasons.  Otherwise, people might think you are
not really sure yourself, and perhaps pay no attention to what you say.  They
do still teach writing in the Netherlands, don't they?
--
Judson McClendon          This is a faithful saying and worthy of all
Sun Valley Systems        acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the

(please remove zzz from email id to respond)



Wed, 10 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 64K string limitation


Quote:


>> > > I am running out of string memory in QBASIC.  No I don't have QB.
>> > > Can anyone help me with storing string information through assembly
>> > > language.

>> > There is no help for you if you want to stick with QBasic, but if you
>> > want to go to Quick Basic 4.5, it will handle large string arrays if
>> > you run it with a /ah command line option.
>> > You can get QB 4.5 at http://www.provantage.com

>> Nonsense.
>I'm curious.  As far as I can see, the paragraph above is entirely correct.
>Which part is nonsense?

  A. There is no help for you if you want to stick with QBasic?

They teach basic logic in propeduese. Meaning: if the first argument
of a chain of arguments( I am simplifying yes)is false the conclusion
can't be true.

You know what the shit is ? The original message said clearly:
I DON'T HAVE QB! So: only A) was (an attempt at) answering
the question. And it was nonsense( not to blame the person
who say so, only what he says.)

Rick[Mister Judson could just compare his A..F with the original
question before shouting out loud again: he will  notice that
statements B..F could be considered either more then nonsense(not
relevant at all) or just someones messages on a new subject.  



Wed, 10 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 64K string limitation

Quote:





> > > > > I am running out of string memory in QBASIC. No I don't have QB.
> > > > > Can anyone help me with storing string information through
> > > > > assembly language.

> > > > There is no help for you if you want to stick with QBasic, but if
> > > > you want to go to Quick Basic 4.5, it will handle large string
> > > > arrays if you run it with a /ah command line option.
> > > > You can get QB 4.5 at http://www.provantage.com

> > > Nonsense.

> > I'm curious.  As far as I can see, the paragraph above is entirely
> > correct. Which part is nonsense?

> >   A. There is no help for you if you want to stick with QBasic?

> They teach basic logic in propeduese. Meaning: if the first argument
> of a chain of arguments( I am simplifying yes)is false the conclusion
> can't be true.

They didn't teach you enough logic to realize that your post was hostile, and
gave no useful information.

Actually, what you need more than logic is to learn something about
constructive social interaction with other human beings.

Quote:
> You know what the shit is ? The original message said clearly:
> I DON'T HAVE QB! So: only A) was (an attempt at) answering
> the question. And it was nonsense( not to blame the person
> who say so, only what he says.)

It is obvious that, not only are you not familiar with the concept of
constructive social interaction, you are also not familiar with the concept
of "defining the parameters of your options".  To inform someone that there
is no direct solution to the problem as posed, but to explain how the problem
can be solved in another context, is a perfectly valid, reasonable and
helpful response to a question.  Sometimes it is better than giving a direct
solution.  Certainly better than simply answering with the word "nonsense".

Quote:
> Rick[Mister Judson could just compare his A..F with the original
> question before shouting out loud again: he will  notice that
> statements B..F could be considered either more then nonsense(not
> relevant at all) or just someones messages on a new subject.  

Not only have I not shouted, out loud or otherwise (or used profanity), but
it is you who have missed the point, and initiated hostility for no reason.
The original response was an attempt at being helpful, and provided valid,
possibly useful, information.  Your response was a waste of everybody's time,
and abrasive for no reason.  However, you are apparently too obtuse to
realize that, too arrogant to care, and too hard headed to accept it, even
when pointed out.  For what purpose did you post your "nonsense" response?
Who was it supposed to help?  Did it help you?  It certainly helped no one
else.  Why post a hostile, useless response to someone who was trying to
help?  If you aren't willing to state why you think something is "nonsense",
then you and your posts deserve to be ignored, as I suspect they will be,
from now on.
--
Judson McClendon          This is a faithful saying and worthy of all
Sun Valley Systems        acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the

(please remove zzz from email id to respond)


Thu, 11 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 64K string limitation



Quote:
> I am running out of string memory in QBASIC.  No I don't have QB.  Can
anyone
>  help me with storing string information through assembly language.  I
also
>  need to be able to access this string information by performing a string
>  search (INSTR command) in assembly language.  Can anyone help me with
this or
>  give me advice on which basic language might help.  I need to be able to
store
>  about 400K worth of strings and be able to do fast searches on these
strings.

While I am NOT a QBasic user, my first thought would be to call an asm
routine to define and store the string data.  You could also pass
individual strings to and from the asm program for searches, mods, etc and
then pass it back to QBasic.

Hope this helps,

Jim  



Sat, 27 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. 64K string limitation problem

2. HELP 64K String limitation

3. Module Limitation of 64K

4. 64K Data Segment Limitation in V5.0

5. Help on 64K limitation

6. 64K limitation In VB4/VB5 ?

7. String Limit on 64K (Help, Please)

8. String Limit on 64K (Help, Please)

9. String tables over 64k

10. Larger than 64k string

11. String Limit on 64K (Help, Please)

12. Larger than 64k string

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software