The old Turbo Basic compiler 
Author Message
 The old Turbo Basic compiler

About 10 years plus ago Borland had a turbo basic compiler which I
think became power basic.

The Borland museum doesn't contain TB (or does it?) and I don't think
it's to be considered freeware.

But I wonder if anyone has it and still uses it?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.*-*-*.com/



Mon, 07 Jul 2003 21:28:47 GMT  
 The old Turbo Basic compiler
I have it. I don't use it anymore, but I still remember most of it; and when
I don't, I still have the manual. (In which I noted I purchased it Feb 2,
1990 at Egghead Software in Rolling Meadows, IL).

Turbo BASIC was - I think - sold by Borland to Robert S. Zale - his name
appears as the copyright owner of the current generation of products. Mr
Zale has marketed enhanced versions as "powerbasic", at first (1991?- 1993?)
through Spectra Publishing, and now through PowerBASIC, Inc. in Carmel CA.
Info at http://www.powerbasic.com

The current generation of PowerBASIC for MS-DOS is vastly impoved and
updated over Turbo BASIC, and continues to be supported by PowerBASIC, Inc.

So what's your question?

--
Michael Mattias
Tal Systems
Racine WI USA


Quote:
> About 10 years plus ago Borland had a turbo basic compiler which I
> think became power basic.

> The Borland museum doesn't contain TB (or does it?) and I don't think
> it's to be considered freeware.

> But I wonder if anyone has it and still uses it?



Mon, 07 Jul 2003 22:30:04 GMT  
 The old Turbo Basic compiler


Quote:
> The current generation of PowerBASIC for MS-DOS is vastly impoved and
> updated over Turbo BASIC, and continues to be supported by
PowerBASIC, Inc.

> So what's your question?

I was really fishing for some information on it, which you kindly
supplied in detail!

Thanks

The copyright thing may also explain why TB didn't end up in the
Borland freeware museuam with TC and TP.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/



Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:42:20 GMT  
 The old Turbo Basic compiler
I dont use the turbo basic, or I dont think I do anyways, I am 16 and new to
programming, I am using the quickbasic which comes with dos.


Tue, 08 Jul 2003 00:10:41 GMT  
 The old Turbo Basic compiler


Quote:
> I dont use the turbo basic, or I dont think I do anyways, I am 16 and
new to
> programming, I am using the quickbasic which comes with dos.

The Qbasic which comes with DOS (it's version 1.1) is a good place
learn programming.

Because its an interpreter (you don't need to compile you just 'run'
with F5 (i think)) you can experiment quickly.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/



Tue, 08 Jul 2003 01:56:41 GMT  
 The old Turbo Basic compiler

Quote:

>The copyright thing may also explain why TB didn't end up in the
>Borland freeware museuam with TC and TP.

Also FYI: There have been several different versions of PowerBASIC for DOS
-- Apart from the latest commercial release (PowerBASIC 3.5), they also
have a shareware version: FirstBasic 1.0, which is basically a shareware
re-release of PowerBASIC 2.1.
Not as advanced as PB 3.5, but definitely a step up from TurboBASIC.
FirstBASIC can be downloaded directly from the PB Inc. website:
http://www.powerbasic.com
--
Marc van den Dikkenberg
--
The PowerBASIC Archives (US) -- http://www.pbarchives.org
The PowerBASIC Archives (EU) -- http://www.xs4all.nl/~excel/pb.html
All BASIC Code Archives (EU) -- http://www.xs4all.nl/~excel/pbabc.html


Wed, 09 Jul 2003 05:12:16 GMT  
 The old Turbo Basic compiler

Quote:
> I was really fishing for some information on it, which you kindly
> supplied in detail!

> Thanks

> The copyright thing may also explain why TB didn't end up in the
> Borland freeware museuam with TC and TP.

Actually...  Bob Zale wrote Turbo Basic for Borland.  When they made the
mistaken decision to get out of the BASIC compiler market, Bob got the
product back from them and renamed it to PowerBASIC.

The "Turbo Basic" name is owned by Borland, but the product itself (and
all of the toolkits Borland produced) are owned by Robert S. Zale.

--Dave



Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:27:15 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Help with Borland Turbo Basic (OLD VERSION)???

2. An Old Turbo Basic Programmer

3. BETTER BASIC - old Basic Language Compiler

4. Old Basic Compiler?

5. Quick Basic/Turbo Basic Question

6. Quick Basic/Turbo Basic Question

7. Looking for old, very old basic games

8. Compiler switches for MS Basic Compiler 5.35

9. Old Compiler

10. Want to buy older version of Powerbasic DLL compiler

11. Want old VB compiler to learn on.

12. Looking to purchase old VB compiler and PDQ Comm VBX

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software