basic-newbie seeks meaning of phrase 'GFA Basic'
Author Message
 basic-newbie seeks meaning of phrase 'GFA Basic'

Hi folks, I beg forgiveness for my raving basic-newbie question, but I don't
see the answer in the FAQs I can find...

What is GFA-Basic?  There's an empty usenet group in the .alt hierarchy
for it, but that's all I know.  We received an application that gives an error
message "GFA Basic   error -24" (or something similar).

TIA.  (btw, I *do* know how to program in C, C++, fortran, foxpro -- but I
*don't* know BASIC; what can I say?)

* John Alsobrook    Child Study Center    Yale University School of Medicine *

*----------------------------------------------------------------------------*
* "Giving money and power to the government is like giving whiskey and car   *
*  keys to {*filter*}age boys." -- P.J. O'Rourke                                   *
*----------------------------------------------------------------------------*
* If I was a spokesperson for Yale my secretaries would have typed this...   *
*----------------------------------------------------------------------------*

Mon, 08 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 basic-newbie seeks meaning of phrase 'GFA Basic'

Quote:
>Hi folks, I beg forgiveness for my raving basic-newbie question, but I don't
>see the answer in the FAQs I can find...

They all seem to be like that...

Quote:
>What is GFA-Basic?  There's an empty usenet group in the .alt hierarchy
>for it, but that's all I know.  We received an application that gives an error
>message "GFA Basic   error -24" (or something similar).

Whelp, let me take a shot at it...it could be wrong, but I'm talking from my
experience here...

GFA Basic was a Basic interpreter/compiler that initially came out for the
Atari ST.  Michtron sold it in the States, but the product came from
Germany(?).  It was an excellent software system as far as basics go (keep in
mind this was sometime in the mid-80s) -- it was fast, produced great code,
etc, etc, etc...

Sadly the Atari market sorta died out (compared to what it used to be like) so
GFA Basic also kind of died out.

A few years ago I saw that GFA Basic was available for the PC -- but it was
VERY expensive compared to QuickBasic or powerbasic (or any low end basic
compiler) -- but for good reason -- GFA was just as awesome as it used to be
(it had a ton of extensions built in).

They finally put out a windows version -- but that's where my knowledge ends.

Anyone else?

Damo

Tue, 09 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 basic-newbie seeks meaning of phrase 'GFA Basic'

Quote:

>>Hi folks, I beg forgiveness for my raving basic-newbie question, but I don't
>>see the answer in the FAQs I can find...

>They all seem to be like that...

>>What is GFA-Basic?  There's an empty usenet group in the .alt hierarchy
>>for it, but that's all I know.  We received an application that gives an error
>>message "GFA Basic   error -24" (or something similar).

>Whelp, let me take a shot at it...it could be wrong, but I'm talking from my
>experience here...

>GFA Basic was a Basic interpreter/compiler that initially came out for the
>Atari ST.  Michtron sold it in the States, but the product came from
>Germany(?).  It was an excellent software system as far as basics go (keep in
>mind this was sometime in the mid-80s) -- it was fast, produced great code,
>etc, etc, etc...

>Sadly the Atari market sorta died out (compared to what it used to be like) so
>GFA Basic also kind of died out.

>A few years ago I saw that GFA Basic was available for the PC -- but it was
>VERY expensive compared to QuickBasic or PowerBasic (or any low end basic
>compiler) -- but for good reason -- GFA was just as awesome as it used to be
>(it had a ton of extensions built in).

>They finally put out a windows version -- but that's where my knowledge ends.

Quite correct, GFA Basic is still going and they do have a Windows version which to
my knowledge is also the only Windows basic with a true compiler (ie. you can create
.DLL's .VBX's etc) however many VB programmers do not seem to have caught on to this.
It also seems that if you have both the DOS and Windows version then the source code is
interchangable but I only have the Windows version.

I saw a post a while back hat said they were working on a Win 95 verion too.

Quote:
>Anyone else?

>Damo

Cheers

Garry Wood.

Standard Discalainer: No association with this product, just a satisfied customer.

Mon, 22 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. IBM BASIC, and GFA BASIC (lookin' fer)

2. declaring .dll's written in GFA Basic

3. I'm a NEWBIE to Visual Basic CE for PDA's

4. Nouveau Basic : O'basic

5. I don't get it : vary basic basic stuff

6. Visual Basic 'Out of memory' message

7. Visual Basic 6.0 Can't Get My ICON's to work

8. ANN: Mabry's Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 3rd Edition

9. Corollary to the 'Great BASIC program'

10. Visit the new Qbasic site '.BASic'