edit registry key?
Author Message
 edit registry key?

Hello,

I'm using QB4.5 and I'd like to modify certain key in the registry
everytime my program starts.  The key is located in:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/MyApp/Install

How can I do this?

Thanks for your help,

Alejandro

again!

Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 edit registry key?

Quote:
> Hello,

> I'm using QB4.5 and I'd like to modify certain key in the registry
> everytime my program starts.  The key is located in:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/MyApp/Install

> How can I do this?

Can't be done.  Registry entries are made and edited through
calls to Registry functions of the Windows API.  Windows
API calls cannot be made from a program running in a
DOS environment.  Neither can you do it by trying to read
and write the registry files directly, because they are hidden
and locked by Windows, even when you are in DOS.

jdm

Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 edit registry key?

It can be done, providing the app runs in a DOS box and windows is loaded
create a text file with the registry entry(easiest way, use regedit and
export that key to 'yourfile.reg'

then in your code

system("regedit.exe /i /s yourfile.reg")

Quote:

>> Hello,

>> I'm using QB4.5 and I'd like to modify certain key in the registry
>> everytime my program starts.  The key is located in:
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/MyApp/Install

>> How can I do this?

>Can't be done.  Registry entries are made and edited through
>calls to Registry functions of the Windows API.  Windows
>API calls cannot be made from a program running in a
>DOS environment.  Neither can you do it by trying to read
>and write the registry files directly, because they are hidden
>and locked by Windows, even when you are in DOS.

>jdm

Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 edit registry key?

Quote:

>> Hello,

>> I'm using QB4.5 and I'd like to modify certain key in the registry
>> everytime my program starts.  The key is located in:
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/MyApp/Install

>> How can I do this?

>Can't be done.  Registry entries are made and edited through
>calls to Registry functions of the Windows API.  Windows
>API calls cannot be made from a program running in a
>DOS environment.  Neither can you do it by trying to read
>and write the registry files directly, because they are hidden
>and locked by Windows, even when you are in DOS.

>jdm

Soo, it can't.....then how come i can do it in a Win95/98 DOS Prompt?

- Thomas Daugaard
    ICQ # 4033867
    EGN # 19870

Wed, 06 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 edit registry key?

Quote:

>> Hello,

>> I'm using QB4.5 and I'd like to modify certain key in the registry
>> everytime my program starts.  The key is located in:
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/MyApp/Install

>> How can I do this?

>> Thanks for your help,

>> Alejandro

>> again!

>savesetting and getsetting allow your application to have its own
>registry entries. They control which key it's in..

>smg

In QB 4.5?? Please tell me how to do that....

It sounds like you'r telling about VB...

- Thomas Daugaard

Wed, 06 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 edit registry key?

Quote:

> Hello,

> I'm using QB4.5 and I'd like to modify certain key in the registry
> everytime my program starts.  The key is located in:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/MyApp/Install

> How can I do this?

> Thanks for your help,

> Alejandro

> again!

savesetting and getsetting allow your application to have its own
registry entries. They control which key it's in..

smg

Thu, 07 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Editing Registry Keys

2. Q:Edit Tray on taskbar with Registry Keys

3. REGISTRY How can I read a registry key?

4. Read Registry Keys and Trees / API Call for Registry access

5. find the specify Root key and Sub key from the registry

6. Registry Key - change (Default) key

7. Deleting Registry key and sub-keys?

8. Renaming or copying a registry key and its sub-keys

9. Using VBA to edit registry?

10. Editing registry with code, or an alternative?

11. Edit Registry Access 2.0

12. Calling for beta testing of Registry Editing tool for .NET