mud
Author Message
 mud

I am writing a Text based one-player mud type(i know thats goes against
the definition of mud) game in qbasic.  Its going ok..but not so good.  I
would greatly appeciate it if someone would post a sample of this type of
program.  A problem i am especially having trouble with is:
I want to create a system where items can be taken and dropped in any
room.  I tried this and it didn't really work...items would disappear.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Also, i can't seem to find a way to have free roaming enemies.  Perhaps I
am trying to do the impossible by writing this is basic, but it is the
only language I currently have enough knowledge of to even know where to
start.

--
---
pacifier.com - Vancouver's Public access Internet (360) 693-0325

Sat, 25 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 mud

Quote:
> I am writing a Text based one-player mud type(i know thats goes against
> the definition of mud) game in qbasic.  Its going ok..but not so good.  I
> would greatly appeciate it if someone would post a sample of this type of
> program.  A problem i am especially having trouble with is:
> I want to create a system where items can be taken and dropped in any
> room.  I tried this and it didn't really work...items would disappear.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
> Also, i can't seem to find a way to have free roaming enemies.  Perhaps I
> am trying to do the impossible by writing this is basic, but it is the
> only language I currently have enough knowledge of to even know where to

I wrote a complete adventuring authoring system, in Basic on the Amiga.  I can
probably give you all the help you need.  But first, I'll answer the questions
you have asked now.

1.

I invented a scripting language to handle objects.  Each object had a set of
properties (Basically a pre-defined TYPE), describing location, weight,
etcetera.  In the scripting langauge, you simply checked for TAKE, and then the
object name.  A location was used for the players inventory, and the object was
simply moved to that location.  a TAKEALL command was added whereby the system
simply picks up on the take verb, and attempts to take any object specified
based on the noun provided.  Basically:

Array of Locations
Location '0' for objects not in the game.
Specified location for players inventory, and game-characters inventories
Objects can be moved using a simple command.

2.

I also had a scripting language for enemies.  For free roaming, you can add a
random move command to it, which checked the available exits at a specified
location, and picked one, the character then simply had his location propery
set to that of the picked location.  I also had a system for them carrying
objects aswell which could be transferred between them and the player.

BASIC is perfect for this type of application.  But there are many pitfalls to
go down.  Feel free to Email me for any help you need, I will be glad to give
it.

One thing I will say now, is that it would be better to program an adventure
authoring system.  Hard-coding an adventure would make it difficult to create
new adventures, whereas an authoring system can create multiple adventures, and
stop you re-writing the same code.

--
Cheers,

Ben

------------------====### legal notice ###====-----------------------
Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any
form,in whole or in part.  License to distribute this post is available to
Microsoft for $499.  Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to
these terms.

Sat, 25 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 mud

Quote:
> I want to create a system where items can be taken and dropped in any
> room.  I tried this and it didn't really work...items would disappear.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

  How do you implement it? Do you use an array to represent a map? You can
"mark" on the map to indicate the present / absence of various objects.

Quote:
> Also, i can't seem to find a way to have free roaming enemies.  Perhaps I
> am trying to do the impossible by writing this is basic, but it is the

  No, it's not the problem of BASIC. The problem is the algorithms you
use. Perhaps you'd like to look up the ran (random number generator)
function for more information.

Eric

Sat, 25 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 mud

Quote:
> I am writing a Text based one-player mud type(i know thats goes against
> the definition of mud) game in qbasic.  Its going ok..but not so good.  I
> would greatly appeciate it if someone would post a sample of this type of
> program.  A problem i am especially having trouble with is:

[snip]

Take a look at these two files on x2ftp.oulu.fi in pub/docs

as-guide.lzh  Whizzard's Guide to Text Adventure Authorship v1.0
ca-tsa.zip  Computer Adventures, The Secret Art by Gil Williamson (book)

There are a few source files to adventure games, but none in BASIC.
Cheers,
--
Douggie

Fri, 31 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Getting Text from a MUD

2. A MUD in QBasic

3. MUD Client in Visual Basic - source code available

4. MUD client in VB... help

5. MUD in VB

6. NEWBIE: my wheels are stuck in the mud

7. VB for graphical MUD

8. Building A Windows Based Mud/Databases/Internet

9. WIndows MUD-Database-SQL-IPDAEMON.VBX

10. ANSI Text Box, Mud Client, IPPort.vbx

11. MUD implementation in VB

12. Anyone know where to get code for a BBS and an MUD.