Decompiler for MS QuickBasic
Author Message
 Decompiler for MS QuickBasic

Does anyone know if a decomiler exists for Microsoft QuickBasic?

Forgive me if this is an often asked question of these groups.  I
searched for a FAQ, found none and found no usenet or web discussion
about a QB decompiler using Alta Vista searches.

Thanks.

Gary Palmer

Mon, 15 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Decompiler for MS QuickBasic

Quote:

> Does anyone know if a decomiler exists for Microsoft QuickBasic?

> Forgive me if this is an often asked question of these groups.  I
> searched for a FAQ, found none and found no usenet or web discussion
> about a QB decompiler using Alta Vista searches.

Yes, this is an often asked question, but there's nothing wrong with
that.  As for your question, no, there is no way to decompile an
executable and get your original QuickBASIC code.

Why?  Because QuickBASIC compiles to machine code (some people will tell
you that it only compiles to P-Code, like VB/WIN, but that just isn't
true;  READ THE MANUAL!).  There are programs that can take a .COM or
.EXE file and produce assembly language code (the DOS DEBUG program does
this), but usually the code is not accurate and there are errors aplenty.

Even if it were possible to get BASIC code from an executable, you would
not be able to retrieve the procedure and variable names, because those
are lost during compilation.

It is possible, however, to create a decompiler for something like Visual
Basic for Windows, because it does not compile to true machine code, just
P-code.  I believe this has already been done for VB.....

-Jesse

Quote:

--
====================================
Very funny Scotty!

Mon, 15 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Decompiler for MS QuickBasic

Quote:

>Does anyone know if a decomiler exists for Microsoft QuickBasic?

Well I don't know about the interpreted version (using BRUN45.EXE not QBASIC)
but the only decompiler for a QB prog would be a decompiler that gives an ASM
source not a BASIC source.

--
Sam Drost
"Would you like to see some projected kill ratios?"

Mon, 15 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Decompiler for MS QuickBasic

Quote:

>Does anyone know if a decomiler exists for Microsoft QuickBasic?

A common misconception about Quick Basic is that it produces p-code
modules bound to a runtime engine as an executable, which is a scheme
followed by other development tools.  I labored under this delusion
myself for many years.  It in fact is a true compiler, which means
that the only way to de-compile it is to use a disassembler, which
as you well know is a black art.

John Morrison

Tue, 16 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Decompiler for MS QuickBasic

Quote:

> >Does anyone know if a decomiler exists for Microsoft QuickBasic?

> Well I don't know about the interpreted version (using BRUN45.EXE not QBASIC)
> but the only decompiler for a QB prog would be a decompiler that gives an ASM
> source not a BASIC source.

There are no interpreted EXEs created by QuickBASIC.  All executables
created by QB are native machine code.  The BRUN45 option creates smaller
main EXEs by using code from the BRUN45.EXE file, but it is not
interpreted.  Programs using this option are a little slower, but not
because they're interpreted.

-Jesse

Quote:
> --
> Sam Drost
> "Would you like to see some projected kill ratios?"

--
====================================
Very funny Scotty!
Now beam down my clothes!
====================================

Wed, 17 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Decompiler for MS QuickBasic

: There are no interpreted EXEs created by QuickBASIC.  All executables
: created by QB are native machine code.  The BRUN45 option creates smaller
: main EXEs by using code from the BRUN45.EXE file, but it is not
: interpreted.  Programs using this option are a little slower, but not
: because they're interpreted.

This confuses me.  Is BRUN45 option native machine codes or
interpreted?

Adam

Thu, 18 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Decompiler for MS QuickBasic

Quote:

> : There are no interpreted EXEs created by QuickBASIC.  All executables
> : created by QB are native machine code.  The BRUN45 option creates smaller
> : main EXEs by using code from the BRUN45.EXE file, but it is not
> : interpreted.  Programs using this option are a little slower, but not
> : because they're interpreted.

> This confuses me.  Is BRUN45 option native machine codes or
> interpreted?

Let me see if I can explain this is less cryptic terms....

The BRUN45 option was meant for people who have limited disk space, but
produce a lot of QB executables.  The EXEs will use the external BRUN45
library, making them smaller and more practical for users of old, small
hard drives (or [GASP] NO HARD DRIVE).

BRUN45.EXE, although I do not know the specifics of it, makes routines
from within itself available to outside programs that request it.
Because the routines are seperated into two programs, programs compiled
with the BRUN45 option are slower.

I think if you want a better explanation, you should contact Microsoft.
They know exactly what goes on.

-Jesse

Quote:

--
====================================
Very funny Scotty!

Thu, 18 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Decompiler for MS QuickBasic

Quote:

> : There are no interpreted EXEs created by QuickBASIC.  All executables
> : created by QB are native machine code.  The BRUN45 option creates
smaller
> : main EXEs by using code from the BRUN45.EXE file, but it is not
> : interpreted.  Programs using this option are a little slower, but not
> : because they're interpreted.

> This confuses me.  Is BRUN45 option native machine codes or
> interpreted?

Both ways (standalone and using BRUN45) are native machine code.  In
standalone mode (/O) the code from BRUN45 in included in the EXE file while
in the other mode, BRUN45 is loaded into memory separately.

Tom Lake

Mon, 22 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. QuickBasic decompiler ?

2. QuickBasic decompiler

3. QuickBASIC Decompiler

4. QuickBasic Decompiler (Where?)

5. Need a QuickBasic 4.0 Decompiler

6. QuickBasic decompiler

7. QuickBasic 4.5 Decompiler

8. QuickBasic Decompiler

9. QuickBasic Decompiler?

10. where can i find quickbasic executable decompiler which can conver to .bas source code

11. where can i find quickbasic executable decompiler which can conver to .bas source code

12. DeBug MS QuickBasic 4.5 Compiled Code ??