IBM Basic Compiler 1.0 command line switches
Author Message
 IBM Basic Compiler 1.0 command line switches

A very old project has come back to haunt me. The code is currently
running on a Wang PC (with Microsoft Basic Compiler 1.0). The client
would like me to move it to IBM compatable PC. This I should be able
to do as I still have a copy of the IBM Basic Compiler 1.0. I am
quoting them on a rewrite in VB6 but the critical thing is to get
them off the Wang (it is a 15 year system and parts are really hard
to find).

My problem is that I cannot, for the life of me, remember the command
line switches for the BASCOM command and, despite being something of
a packrat, I cannot locate the compiler documentation.

I know that this is not likely, but...

Does anyone out there either still have the documentation for this
compiler and can forward me the command line switch info?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards, Hugh

Sat, 27 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IBM Basic Compiler 1.0 command line switches

Quote:
> My problem is that I cannot, for the life of me, remember the command
> line switches for the BASCOM command
> Does anyone out there either still have the documentation for this
> compiler and can forward me the command line switch info?

Ehh... is there some switch in particular that you actually care about?

IBM BASCOM 1.0 is a renamed version of one of Microsoft's compilers. It was
issued somewhat before QuickBasic 1.0, and perhaps a bit after Microsoft
BASIC Compiler 5.35, if I remember right. The switches ought to be the same.

The most frequently-used switches would probably be /o to create a
stand-alone .EXE, /d to include debugging information, and /X to include
support for certain RESUME command options.

Sun, 28 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IBM Basic Compiler 1.0 command line switches
Good afternoon Hugh,

I hope this small documentation can do the job!

/A      Include listing of disassembled object code in the source listing.

/D      Generate debug code for runtime error checking.

/E      Program has ON ERROR GOTO with RESUME <line-number>.

/N      Numbers for lines not needed for all lines.

/O      Substitute the BASCOM.LIB runtime library for BASRUN.LIB as the
default runtime library searched by the linker (size 15 to 20% more,
COMMON not supported, each EXE included runtime functions).

/R      Store arrays in row major order.

/S      Write quoted strings to .OBJ file on disk and not to compiler symbol
table in RAM.

/T      Use 4.51 execution conventions. (use /4 and /T together for 4.51
lexical and execution conventions).

/X      Program has ON ERROR GOTO with RESUME, RESUME 0, or RESUME NEXT.

/4      Use Microsoft 4.51 lexical conventions (not allowed with /N).

Best regards,
Francis
-------

Quote:
> A very old project has come back to haunt me. The code is currently
> running on a Wang PC (with Microsoft Basic Compiler 1.0). The client
> would like me to move it to IBM compatable PC. This I should be able
> to do as I still have a copy of the IBM Basic Compiler 1.0. I am
> quoting them on a rewrite in VB6 but the critical thing is to get
> them off the Wang (it is a 15 year system and parts are really hard
> to find).

> My problem is that I cannot, for the life of me, remember the command
> line switches for the BASCOM command and, despite being something of
> a packrat, I cannot locate the compiler documentation.

> I know that this is not likely, but...

> Does anyone out there either still have the documentation for this
> compiler and can forward me the command line switch info?

> Thanks in advance for any assistance.

> Regards, Hugh

Sun, 28 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IBM Basic Compiler 1.0 command line switches
I have forgotten to say that IBM ver 1.0 is exactly Microsoft 5.3x !

It was just before Business Basic (expensive and more structured) which
gave place to QuickBasic 1 and 2 because of the success of the Turbo
languages!

See you later,
Francis
-------

Sun, 28 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IBM Basic Compiler 1.0 command line switches
Thanks to Tom and Francis for responding.

Turns out I did remember the command line switches correctly (I was
looking for the /N switch). What I was encountering was SN (line number
sequence) errors.

Further investigation showed me that for some reason once the compiler
processes the last statement in the program it then restarts processing
the source file part way through again, hence the sequence number
errors. I then remembered I had encountered this error before when
trying to run the compiler on MS-DOS 6.22 (I am now trying it under
Win95).

I have a workaround. As the application is small I will just create
a MS-DOS 5 boot disk and do the compiles on the diskette (thats what
I did way back when I first encountered this problem).

Thanks again for your input. It was greatly appreciated!

Regards, Hugh

Mon, 29 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Compiler switches for MS Basic Compiler 5.35

2. IBM VisualAge for Basic ??? Free version 1.0

3. Basic Compiler IBM PC (1985) - Seeking Help

4. MMX and IBM Basic compiler 2.00 does not CHAIN

5. History of early MS/IBM BASIC compilers?

6. IBM Basic Compiler

7. Gw basic commands needed for IBM

8. what are valid outlook 2002 command line switches?

9. Looking for OL2K command line switch to open email template

10. Command Line Switches

11. Command line switches for starting MS Outlook

12. Outlook.exe command line switches