Students - Teachers Are Better
Author Message
 Students - Teachers Are Better

To all programming students in school:
School learning has a way of teaching you in the right frame of mind to
stick in you.
Answers on here and other Internet places will help you, but not the
same way.
If you have a learning problem with teachers, tell them, or a counselor,
and they
will assist your needs.
--
From,
Kenneth Green

Mon, 27 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Students - Teachers Are Better

Quote:

>Students - Teachers Are Better

Apparently not if students are using the newsgroups, maybe if a
student is using the NG's to get their answers then this is a
reflection of the quality of teaching they are receiving.

Quote:
>To all programming students in school:
>School learning has a way of teaching you in the right frame of
>mind to stick in you.

Yeah, like a harpoon as it gently explodes into a {*filter*} whale,
I do'nt know if it's me but that statement sounded kind of
wierd as does the next bit -

<snip>

Quote:
>If you have a learning problem with teachers, tell them, or a
>counselor, and they will assist your needs.
>Kenneth Green
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

Let them post I say and let's all give them the wrong answers ;-)

TTfn,

Craig___

Tue, 28 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Students - Teachers Are Better

I was trying to referr to people that spend 3 or more hours on the
Internet a day looking
for answers. And I meant that the Internet is like a library, not a
school room.
Plus, I am no teacher, but I feel like one once in a while.
New ideas are easy to find on the Internet, but most of the time, it's
like copying someone
else's school work.

Quote:

--
From,
Kenneth Green
http://www.*-*-*.com/
DOS and Windows Programs And Games written in ASIC language.

Tue, 28 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Students - Teachers Are Better

On Thu, 09 Oct 1997 12:10:12 -0700, Kenneth Green

Quote:

>To all programming students in school:
>School learning has a way of teaching you in the right frame of mind to
>stick in you.
>Answers on here and other Internet places will help you, but not the
>same way.
>If you have a learning problem with teachers, tell them, or a counselor,
>and they
>will assist your needs.
>--

Right frame?....Sorry, but what gives you the right to say that you
are teaching in the right frame?
        I learnt basic on my VIC20 years ago. when I encountered
programming at school, I considered their methods of programming
ancient! (concept, design, programming, testing, implementation). This
may well have been true for computers that needed to be programmed
with punch cards, but no way is it relevent to todays rapid
application development. Yes there was a lot I learnt, which has
proved usefull in my professional carrier, like sort algorithms and
booliean algebra. However, the way schools teach to program is not
what is wanted out in the real world.
Eg, The other day, the management wanted an extra column on a report.
This was done in a few minutes - If it was done in the way I was
taught at school, it would have taken ages in writing supplementary
design doccumentation / test doccumentation , codeing, etc. I just
added the column, recompiled, checked that it was what they wanted and
that was it. This is apparently what people want.
As I said earlier, school provided me with usefull tools to make my
code faster and more efficient. But for methods of codeing, forget
it!!

Programming methods evolve, the first place to find out about new
techniques is on the internet. If the methods are good, people will
use them, if not , they won't. As such every good programmer needs to
keep their eyes open to new methods, and indeed suggest tecniques they
developed themselves, otherwise they will be left behind.

Tony.
(Senior Analyst VB Programmer)

Tue, 28 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Students - Teachers Are Better

Quote:

>I was trying to referr to people that spend 3 or more hours on the
>Internet a day looking
>for answers. And I meant that the Internet is like a library, not a
>school room.
>Plus, I am no teacher, but I feel like one once in a while.
>New ideas are easy to find on the Internet, but most of the time, it's
>like copying someone
>else's school work.

>> >Students - Teachers Are Better

>> Apparently not if students are using the newsgroups, maybe if a
>> student is using the NG's to get their answers then this is a
>> reflection of the quality of teaching they are receiving.

>> >To all programming students in school:
>> >School learning has a way of teaching you in the right frame of
>> >mind to stick in you.

>> Yeah, like a harpoon as it gently explodes into a {*filter*} whale,
>> I do'nt know if it's me but that statement sounded kind of
>> wierd as does the next bit -

>> <snip>
>> >If you have a learning problem with teachers, tell them, or a
>> >counselor, and they will assist your needs.
>> >Kenneth Green
>> > http://www.*-*-*.com/

>> Let them post I say and let's all give them the wrong answers ;-)

Aha, finally I understand what you are doing ;))

Quote:

>> TTfn,

>> Craig___

There are a few ways to discover fast enough if your teacher is not
like another 13 year old who thinks he should copyright his "hello
world" program:

Ask the men about PC architecture, about the pentium instruction set,
about the compiler internals, and maybe about your OS-s internals.
If he can't blast you away for five hours without you understanding
much, then probably your teachers knowledge is less superior then
should be.( Hell, we could even develop an index of the concepts
he should use, for an evaluation list ;))
A teacher should function at another level then his students,
understanding the same things in a broader and deeper perspective.

Uch !

Rick

Quote:
>--
>From,
>Kenneth Green
> http://www.*-*-*.com/
>DOS and Windows Programs And Games written in ASIC language.

 Windows programs in ASIC ?????????????????????????????????

Wed, 29 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Students - Teachers Are Better

Quote:

>I was trying to referr to people that spend 3 or more hours on the
>Internet a day looking for answers.
>And I meant that the Internet is like a library, not a school room.

Oh, you should've said so :-)

Quote:
>Plus, I am no teacher, but I feel like one once in a while.
>New ideas are easy to find on the Internet, but most of the time,
>it's like copying someone else's school work.

Agreed, you can learn something from copying others work but
doing it yourself is probably the best way of learning.

TTfn,

Craig___

Thu, 30 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Students - Teachers Are Better

Quote:
> Agreed, you can learn something from copying others work but
> doing it yourself is probably the best way of learning

But most advances in human knowledge came from our ability to share what
we know or think.  Hardly anybody develops something worthwhile in
isolation. All the histories I've seen of the early days of desktop
computing emphasize that home-brew clubs were hotbeds of idea-sharing.
Sure Wozniak went home and did prodigious homework.  And invented new
configurations, but based on knowledge out there for everybody.  And who
knows what he took home from the club?

I've always worked in isolation. But I consider it a factor in the
SLOWNESS of my learning.

Somebody tell me something:  Why would the Internet EXIST if not to
reduce the resistance to flow of information?

Thu, 30 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Students - Teachers Are Better

Quote:
> >Plus, I am no teacher, but I feel like one once in a while.
> >New ideas are easy to find on the Internet, but most of the time,
> >it's like copying someone else's school work.

> Agreed, you can learn something from copying others work but
> doing it yourself is probably the best way of learning.

That's what kind of bugs me. See, I'm in Grade 11 Computer Science, and
as I had a jump on all the rest of the students, I'm no longer in
QBasic; I'm moving on to VB and C++. Still, people will call me up and
say "Joe, how do you do this?" It doesn't bug me TOO much, but for the
people who I actually care about, I will always go up to them the next
day and say "Now, I told you HOW to do it - do you understand WHY it
works?" Much of my learning was seeing my programming critiqued and
marked by my teacher last year - it allowed me to learn the correct way
of doing things. The point is, Craig, you're right; people can learn
much from copying code, but the best way to do it is to figure it out
yourself. I can't tell you how gratifying it feels to get a really tough
problem finished on my own.

--
Joe Drew
Anti-American extraordinare and QB programmer

Thu, 30 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Students - Teachers Are Better

Thanks for everyone's input. I also work in isolation which tells me I have
to get out there
and progress my abilities before I myself becomes a robot to technology.

Quote:

--
From,
Kenneth Green

Fri, 31 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Teacher/student

2. Please help a student teacher

3. Mac: Best *simple* BASIC program for teacher?

4. good VB website(s) for high school CS teacher??

5. I am looking for a good place to buy dev software online

6. I am a VB newbie, looking for good manual

7. Timer Question - I have explained better what I am looking for

8. I am looking for the best book for learning VB.

9. Am I better off without MTS (more...)?

10. VB teacher in NYC

11. Teacher needs experience

12. on-line teacher wanted