PowerBASIC
Author Message
 PowerBASIC

I have purchased through upgrades; PB3, PB3.1,PB3.2,PB3.5.  I have
purchase at full price PBDK2.0, PBDLL2.0, PBDLL5.0.

Then I get another full price adverti{*filter*}t for yet another windows
interface for powerbasic.

Is most of your engineering incremental, or is this just a good way
to maximize profits by many little expenditures.

Seems like upgrade would be in order for some of these purchases.

On to C and fortran - Basic too expensive.

Regards:

Don Foster
H.P.

Sun, 19 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC

On Wed, 03 Jun 1998 12:40:12 -0700, Don Foster

Quote:

>I have purchased through upgrades; PB3, PB3.1,PB3.2,PB3.5.  I have
>purchase at full price PBDK2.0, PBDLL2.0, PBDLL5.0.

>Then I get another full price adverti{*filter*}t for yet another windows
>interface for PowerBASIC.

>Is most of your engineering incremental, or is this just a good way
>to maximize profits by many little expenditures.

...snip...

Funny, but I just threw away a book about M$ which describes this
incremental software engineering as a prime method for continuing to
bleed the customer base. Under the right circumstances, it actually
_does_ pay to release software prematurely so that needed updates will
continue to generate revenue, which is not what one expects with
retail software. Somewhere along the line, software developers
realized that they were missing the boat. When you buy a new car you
have to buy new tires regularly, change the oil, replace a rusted
exhaust pipe, and so on. Software doesn't wear out, so how can you
force customers to pay for maintainance? Easy, release software
prematurely and offer "upgrades" regularly. This is, of course, just a
story. <shrug>

C'ya,
RudeJohn
"People ream you. That's what people do."

Sun, 19 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC

Quote:

> I have purchased through upgrades; PB3, PB3.1,PB3.2,PB3.5.  I have
> purchase at full price PBDK2.0, PBDLL2.0, PBDLL5.0.

> Then I get another full price adverti{*filter*}t for yet another windows
> interface for PowerBASIC.

If it's any consolation, there is an upgrade price for PB/CC.  I'm quite
sure there was also an upgrade from PB/DLL 2.0 --> 5.0, although I
dodn't remember for sure.

Quote:
> Is most of your engineering incremental, or is this just a good way
> to maximize profits by many little expenditures.

Well, I hope they keep making improvements to the product! Minor
revisions are usually free of charge.  I've only seen PB charge upgrade
prices for products that boast a significantly improved feature set. If
you are looking for PowerBASIC to come out with a product that is
completely new and different, it probably wouldn't be BASIC anymore.  As
it is, the upgrade prices are nearly always pretty modest. It's up to
you to determine whether or not you need it.  Personally, I didn't
upgrade to PB/DOS 3.5;  it has cool new features, just not anything that
was an absolute must.

Quote:
> On to C and FORTRAN - Basic too expensive.

Please keep me posted on how much you need to spend to stay current with
them, as well has how much additional development time you incur.

Too bad PB didn't work out for you.

Novell tips at http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~ndurland/novelltips.html
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!

Wed, 22 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC

Quote:
> > On to C and FORTRAN - Basic too expensive.

> Please keep me posted on how much you need to spend to stay current with
> them, as well has how much additional development time you incur.

I think Don is in for a rude surprise.  Microsoft charges an average of $199
for upgrades, not the modest $59 to $99 that we charge.  They also charge for
bug fixes, while we ship them free to all registered users.  Borland's and
Symantec's pricing isn't that different from Microsoft's, although they're
much better about not charging for bug fixes.

Considering that the average cost for a programming languages today (Retail)
is $400, I am at a loss to understand why people think that $150 is too much.
Especially considering all the extras we give with each product.

Personally, I agree that software prices are out of control these days.  And
we're doing our best to cut costs rather than raise prices.  But as long as
there are idiots giving away our products (I shut down 11 web sites last week
that were giving away the commercial version of PowerBASIC and PB/DLL) instead
of honest people purchasing them, we may eventually have no choice but to
raise prices like everyone else.

--Dave

Fri, 08 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC

Quote:

> > Personally, I agree that software prices are out of control these days.  And
> > we're doing our best to cut costs rather than raise prices.  But as long as
> > --Dave

> As a software developer what is your greatest expense? I
> would imagine advertising.

Nope, support.  With all software products, there will always be people who
don't read the manuals, or who expect us to *teach* them everything about
programming.  So our highest costs are the salaries of the people who answer
phones, email and faxes.

--Dave

Sat, 09 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC

Quote:

> Personally, I agree that software prices are out of control these days.  And
> we're doing our best to cut costs rather than raise prices.  But as long as
> there are idiots giving away our products (I shut down 11 web sites last week
> that were giving away the commercial version of PowerBASIC and PB/DLL) instead
> of honest people purchasing them, we may eventually have no choice but to
> raise prices like everyone else.

One of the never ending arguments on most BASIC newsgroups is the
morality of people who post QB for download.  I reported a few web sites
last week to the SPA.

Novell tips at http://www.capital.net/~ndurland/novelltips.html
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!

Sat, 09 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC

Quote:

> > Personally, I agree that software prices are out of control these days.  And
> > we're doing our best to cut costs rather than raise prices.  But as long as
> > there are idiots giving away our products (I shut down 11 web sites last week
> > that were giving away the commercial version of PowerBASIC and PB/DLL) instead
> > of honest people purchasing them, we may eventually have no choice but to
> > raise prices like everyone else.

> One of the never ending arguments on most BASIC newsgroups is the
> morality of people who post QB for download.  I reported a few web sites
> last week to the SPA.

If it's QB or another Microsoft product, I forward the information to

there have been a few cases where Microsoft has had computer equipment
confiscated.

We've already had a few cases where we had computers taken away from {*filter*}agers
and we've had over 100 web sites shut down so far.

--Dave

Sat, 09 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC

: >
: > Personally, I agree that software prices are out of control these days.  And
: > we're doing our best to cut costs rather than raise prices.  But as long as
: > there are idiots giving away our products (I shut down 11 web sites last week
: > that were giving away the commercial version of PowerBASIC and PB/DLL) instead
: > of honest people purchasing them, we may eventually have no choice but to
: > raise prices like everyone else.

: One of the never ending arguments on most BASIC newsgroups is the
: morality of people who post QB for download.  I reported a few web sites
: last week to the SPA.

I don't really know what side I agree with on the QB issue... I realize
that Micro{*filter*}doesn't want to sell the rights to QB to someone else that
would continue to improve the product because alot of the QB code is
probably in VB... but why not just allow people to download it from there
web site it's not like it's gonna make VB stop selling, it's two totally
different things.  Now 'pirating' PB would be a different story... it's
still supported and under development.  I dunno that's just my
nickel-nintey-nine's worth ;)

: --
: ----------------------------------------------------------------

: Novell tips at http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~ndurland/novelltips.html
: ----------------------------------------------------------------
: If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!
: ----------------------------------------------------------------

Sun, 10 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC

Quote:
>I don't really know what side I agree with on the QB issue... I realize
>that Micro{*filter*}doesn't want to sell the rights to QB to someone else that
>would continue to improve the product because alot of the QB code is
>probably in VB...

I doubt that any of the VB compiler was written in any flavor of BASIC; it's
probably C, with a few assembly-language speedups.

If M$ were still selling QuickBasic, it would compete with VB, and win in many
cases.  Not every program needs all those windows, bells, whistles and banners.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
If it's spam, it's a scam.  Don't do business with Net abusers.

Mon, 11 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC

Quote:
>If M$ were still selling QuickBasic, it would compete with VB, and win in many
>cases.  Not every program needs all those windows, bells, whistles and banners.

Agreed.  For overnight scheduled backup and convert-to-html routines I
wouldn't use anything else.  Who needs a GUI when there's no U to I with
it?

--
Kind Regards
Peter Hesketh, Mynyddbach, Monmouthshire, England

Mon, 11 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC

Quote:
> I doubt that any of the VB compiler was written in any flavor of BASIC; it's
> probably C, with a few assembly-language speedups.

> If M$ were still selling QuickBasic, it would compete with VB, and win in many
> cases.  Not every program needs all those windows, bells, whistles and banners.

Hmm..  Sounds like PB/CC to me.  <smile>

--Dave

Mon, 11 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC

Quote:

>> I doubt that any of the VB compiler was written in any flavor of BASIC; it's
>> probably C, with a few assembly-language speedups.

>> If M$ were still selling QuickBasic, it would compete with VB, and win in many
>> cases.  Not every program needs all those windows, bells, whistles and banners.

>Hmm..  Sounds like PB/CC to me.  <smile>

You've no shame, Dave.. d;)

  ____    _    ____      ____  _____
 |  _ \  / \  / ___) __ | ___)(_   _)
 | |_)  / _ \ \____\/  \|  _)   | |
 |____//_/ \_\(____/\__/|_|     |_|

     www.basicguru.com/schullian

Tue, 12 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC

Quote:

> If it's QB or another Microsoft product, I forward the information to

> there have been a few cases where Microsoft has had computer equipment
> confiscated.

I never thought of that (It never occured to me that MS would have a
piracy e-mail address).  Good idea.

Novell tips at http://www.capital.net/~ndurland/novelltips.html
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!

Tue, 12 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC

says...

Quote:

> >> I doubt that any of the VB compiler was written in any flavor of BASIC; it's
> >> probably C, with a few assembly-language speedups.

> >> If M$ were still selling QuickBasic, it would compete with VB, and win in many
> >> cases.  Not every program needs all those windows, bells, whistles and banners.

> >Hmm..  Sounds like PB/CC to me.  <smile>

> You've no shame, Dave.. d;)

Horrible isn't it?  <g>

Truthfully, I am "so darned happy" about PB/CC that when I got the first alpha
I nearly wet myself.  I'm a DOS prompt guy 200% (got four or five DOS boxes
open all the time) and I was not looking forward to abandoning simple text
mode interfaces.  I've finally ported all my utilities over to PB/CC and I'm a
*very* happy camper.

--Dave

Tue, 12 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 18 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. PDS 7.1 to PowerBasic

2. PowerBASIC Console Compiler 3.0 Internet Communications

3. New PowerBASIC compilers!

4. Question about the PowerBASIC website

5. Learning PowerBasic, give recommendations

6. Using GetCommandLine() with PowerBASIC

7. Converting PowerBASIC sources to C or other languages

8. Change screen resolution with PowerBASIC for Windows

9. PowerBasic compacted values

10. psr.bas for PowerBasic 2.1

11. PowerBasic 2.1 Statements and Functions