Information on HPBASIC for the HP9000/300 (MC68010)
Author Message
 Information on HPBASIC for the HP9000/300 (MC68010)

Hello,

I got an old HP9000/300 system (MC68010) from a friend. This machine has in
ROM HPBASIC 5.0. But where can I find information on HPBASIC 5.0 or on the
HP9000/300 system MC68010 ?

Thanx Pierre Wielders

Wed, 16 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Information on HPBASIC for the HP9000/300 (MC68010)

Quote:

>I got an old HP9000/300 system (MC68010) from a friend. This machine has in
>ROM HPBASIC 5.0. But where can I find information on HPBASIC 5.0 or on the
>HP9000/300 system MC68010 ?

The documentation came in 4 loose-leaf manuals: language reference,
programming guide, utilities library and graphic techniques (IIRC) and
included disks with the utilities software.  Although we're talking about
400 pages per manual, you still might consider contacting HP to see if the
documentation is still available (be forewarned, the saying "HP" = "High
Prices", is often true.).  I'm sure that HP would like to sell you the
latest version (6.2 as of three years ago), but you could buy a new PC
system, including QuickBasic, for what it costs and unless you had more than
the standard 1 Mbyte, it wouldn't be practical for large programs.

As far as the language goes, it is very much like other BASICs.  It does
require line numbers (it auto-numbers for you) and it also has discrete
function/subroutine modules in addition to gosub constructs.  It also has
other peculiar features:

it 'load's and 'store's programs as 'prog' files.
it 'get's and 'save's programs as 'ascii' files.
to display directory use 'cat'.
to delete file use 'purge'.
accessing files is generally in form "filename:drive-specification", but it
can be different depending which disk subsystem it came with.  (you didn't
say if you had the disk subsystem or which one you had.)
it 'initialize's disks instead of 'format'ing them.
data can be in 'bdat' or 'ascii' form.
function and subroutines can only be added or deleted from the end of the
program (there is a 'movelines' command that helps do this.)

I don't know if I can give any additional help since I haven't touched one
of these machines for 3 years and this is all from what I remember.  Hope
this helps.

-CB

Wed, 16 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Microsoft Press More Than 300 Titles + FREE UPS Ground shipping

2. TIFF for Visual Voice - 300.tif (1/1)

3. TIFF for Visual Voice - 300.tif (0/1)

4. HP 9000 Series 300 BASIC refs need

5. Crystal reports select expert can only read first 300 records from sybase

6. Text String via MODEM at 300 baud

7. ASCII-Files over 300 MB

8. decompiling vb3...error MSMASKED.300

9. Fastest way to perform 300 match-replace statements

10. Reg: Using Vb code how to perform some functions in Epson LQ-300 printer

11. vbrun.300.dll

12. Microsoft Press More Than 300 Titles + FREE UPS Ground shipping