3D texture-mapping , shading, and filling........
Author Message
 3D texture-mapping , shading, and filling........

Ok.. I know that last time I asked this nobody knew the answer, and that
most people here are beginners or at least not experts on 3D-programming.
But I would like to know how to successfully fill in my wireframe images.
(I want to create a flight simulator or some type of total 3D game) I tried
the normal PAINT command. It works, but it floods to the screen sometimes,
and it looks kinda crappy. I would like to incorporate real-time shading
into it or even better -texture mapping-. The only problem is that most
people who know how to do this disguise it in their programs or don't
really want to make it obvious to the rest of us.   I can easily create a
3D engine and 3D points and objects, but I really despise wireframe. I have
seen some sources, but if anyone knows of any information I could use or a
good source of information (web site, docs, etc), I would really appreciate
it!

PS - better yet, put it in your words! -                    *-Kevin
Jackson-*
  | |

Quote:
>u<

 <>

Sat, 08 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 3D texture-mapping , shading, and filling........

Quote:
> good source of information (web site, docs, etc), I would really appreciate
> it!

Try ftp'ing to teeri.oulu.fi/pub/msdos/programming/gpe
It is (should be) the home address of PC-Games Programmers Encyclopydia.
The very old version I got at home has stuff in it about 3D objects,
shading and texture mapping IIRC.

Quote:
> PS - better yet, put it in your words! -                    *-Kevin

Sure, like I understand it or summin... ;-)

--

.oO Those who know cannot explain, those who don't cannot understand Oo.

Sat, 08 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 3D texture-mapping , shading, and filling........

Quote:

> (I want to create a flight simulator or some type of total 3D game) I tried
> the normal PAINT command. It works, but it floods to the screen sometimes,

Wrong way.
Use pixel oriented routines so later you will be able to incororate
shading in an easier manner. Wou'll have to touch video directly, if you
want speed...

I think Visual Basic is the example of Hi-level language, which, by
definition is... SLOW.

Even you can program some ASM tricks, call them from hi-level C or C++
and then make the video routines written in ASM/C/C++ encapsulated into
a DLL wich could be called from VB, where you can ask the user to select
options fron the initial game menu or save and load games from and to
disk in a very easy manner...

I don't think VB is for writting real-time 3D engines...

:-(

Bye!
Xavi.

Mon, 10 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 3D texture-mapping , shading, and filling........

Quote:

> > (I want to create a flight simulator or some type of total 3D game) I tried
> > the normal PAINT command. It works, but it floods to the screen sometimes,
> Wrong way.
> Use pixel oriented routines so later you will be able to incororate
> shading in an easier manner. Wou'll have to touch video directly, if you
> want speed...

> I think Visual Basic is the example of Hi-level language, which, by
> definition is... SLOW.

> Even you can program some ASM tricks, call them from hi-level C or C++
> and then make the video routines written in ASM/C/C++ encapsulated into
> a DLL wich could be called from VB, where you can ask the user to select
> options fron the initial game menu or save and load games from and to
> disk in a very easy manner...

> I don't think VB is for writting real-time 3D engines...

I agree that one shouldn't try a DOOM clone in VB, but I think with VB5,
and linking in Direct3D (though I haven't the faintest clue how), one
could obtain OK results. I have been successful doing straight wireframe
platonic solids under VB, and obtaining good frame rates. Lee Adams'
book "Visual Basic Animation Programing" covers 3D quite well under VB,
acheiving frame rates of 10fps or better...

Sat, 15 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 3D texture-mapping , shading, and filling........

Quote:

> > > (I want to create a flight simulator or some type of total 3D game) I
tried
> > > the normal PAINT command. It works, but it floods to the screen
sometimes,
> > Wrong way.
> > Use pixel oriented routines so later you will be able to incororate
> > shading in an easier manner. Wou'll have to touch video directly, if
you
> > want speed...

> > I think Visual Basic is the example of Hi-level language, which, by
> > definition is... SLOW.

> > Even you can program some ASM tricks, call them from hi-level C or C++
> > and then make the video routines written in ASM/C/C++ encapsulated into
> > a DLL wich could be called from VB, where you can ask the user to
select
> > options fron the initial game menu or save and load games from and to
> > disk in a very easy manner...

> > I don't think VB is for writting real-time 3D engines...

> I agree that one shouldn't try a DOOM clone in VB, but I think with VB5,
> and linking in Direct3D (though I haven't the faintest clue how), one
> could obtain OK results. I have been successful doing straight wireframe
> platonic solids under VB, and obtaining good frame rates. Lee Adams'
> book "Visual Basic Animation Programing" covers 3D quite well under VB,
> acheiving frame rates of 10fps or better...

Hello all that replied!
This is the original author that posed that question..
Ok.... The only thing is, I don't do Visual Basic!!! Sorry about the
misunderstanding.... I never said about me doing this in VB... Heck, I suck
at it (I tried it)....But I didn't specify that I did this in Qbasic 4.5
either..Sorry.. So could all of these people that replied to it the first
time reply to it (if possible) with knowledge of this for Qbasic instead of
Visual Basic? I would really appreciate it, believe me. I have looked at
ABC packets and even at the programmer's encyclopedia.... None of which
helped or gave important information, they were too vague.. Please help..
:)
                        -Kevin Jackson

                        http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/6753/

Sat, 22 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Mapping Borders and Shading from XL to WD

2. Texture on 3D Cube, How?

3. Texture mapping?

4. Texture maps...

5. Texture mapping, ray casting