FAQ? What FAQ?
Author Message
 FAQ? What FAQ?

Hi everyone,

What's happened with the clbm FAQ? Is it no longer posted monthly like it
was? I often miss posts these days, but I doubt that I just happen to have
missed *every* FAQ posting for the last 6 months!

Anyway, whoever's doing it, Tim Henderson has amended part of it at
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~timh/bbx.htm . However, he used an old version (the
one on my basic page, as that's the newest I have. So the current version
will have to be updated from Tim's page.

(And yes, I did see the Business Basic FAQ posted a few days ago)

--
 Dave Burbridge: Newly updated page! Programming, cycling, jokes, Wurzels...
        http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 08 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 FAQ? What FAQ?

Quote:
>Hi everyone,
>What's happened with the clbm FAQ? Is it no longer posted monthly like
>it was? I often miss posts these days, but I doubt that I just happen
>to have missed *every* FAQ posting for the last 6 months!

Douggie went away, not sure of the whole story.
So I took over until someone volunteered, but no one did.
I continued until certain nameless individuals complained saying the
FAQ was worse than binaries so i agreed to quit posting it.

There is no longer a FAQ for this newsgroup, except the over
glorified and under simplified PB FAQ and BB FAQ.

 I would assume the PB FAQ will move to alt.pb or whatever it is
 and a simple reminder will be posted here, but that takes intelligence
 and were still waiting to see how smart the PB fanatics are.

Wed, 09 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 FAQ? What FAQ?

Quote:
>Hi everyone,

>What's happened with the clbm FAQ? Is it no longer posted monthly like it
>was? I often miss posts these days, but I doubt that I just happen to have
>missed *every* FAQ posting for the last 6 months!

>Anyway, whoever's doing it, Tim Henderson has amended part of it at
>http://www.cstone.net/~timh/bbx.htm . However, he used an old version (the
>one on my basic page, as that's the newest I have. So the current version
>will have to be updated from Tim's page.

>(And yes, I did see the Business Basic FAQ posted a few days ago)

Daniel Hudson is the temporary FAQ maintainer (Douggie Green, the original
maintainer, up and disappeared several months ago).  There is a reason the FAQ
is no longer posted, and I'll try to explain it as best I can.

A while ago, there were several discussions going on in this group about
posting binaries, encoded binaries, etc. (most of these debates have calmed
down now)

Dan shared his (very strong) opinions about the topics, and among them were
that 1) No large, bandwidth-wasting messages should be posted; 2) no binaries
should be posted; 3) no encoded binaries should be posted, even if they are
text files.

Dan's views about post size eventually backfired on him.  People (including
myself, but also others) began suggesting that he post the 40k FAQ on the Web
instead of in the newsgroup every week.  Then he could post a note telling
everyone where they could obtain the FAQ (as Douggie did every once in a while
when he was the maintainer).  He argued that his posting was helpful to
everyone in the group, not just a "couple of QBasic programmers", so it was
OK.  However, to a lot of people, it's just bothersome, because once you've
read it, all it's doing is wasting bandwidth.  It's not helping you if it does
not convey any new information to you.  After someone pointed this out, Dan
threw what I saw as a temper tantrum, and said that he would never post the
FAQ again, and he hoped I was happy.

That just about covers it.  The FAQ is no longer posted on Usenet, the Web, or
anywhere.  It seems a little childish to me, but of course that's only my
opinion.  Perhaps someone has an up-to-date version of the FAQ that they would
like to post on the Net somewhere.

-Jesse

Quote:

>--
> Dave Burbridge: Newly updated page! Programming, cycling, jokes, Wurzels...
>       http://whitworth.me.ic.ac.uk/people/students/djbur/index.html
>  Labour have got nothing left, and the Tories have got nothing right...
>                                                - Tony Harrison(?)

====================================
Very funny Scotty!
Now beam down my clothes!
====================================

Wed, 09 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 FAQ? What FAQ?

Quote:
>That just about covers it.  The FAQ is no longer posted on Usenet, the Web, or
>anywhere.  It seems a little childish to me, but of course that's only my
>opinion.  Perhaps someone has an up-to-date version of the FAQ that they would
>like to post on the Net somewhere.

I haven't got the FAQ around at the moment, but should anyone dig up a
recent version somewhere, I may put it on my homepage...
Any idea?

Marc van den Dikkenberg
-----------------------------o---------------------
http://145.89.78.151/~excel  | Programming Archives
http://www.xs4all.nl/~excel  | antU, Humour, Sci-Fi

Thu, 10 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 FAQ? What FAQ?

Quote:

>I haven't got the FAQ around at the moment, but should anyone dig up a
>recent version somewhere, I may put it on my homepage...
>Any idea?

>Marc van den Dikkenberg

I have the 19th November 1996 version - given the discussion on this
thread, do you want it posting here or sent by e-mail?

Cheers;
--
Keith Burnett

http://www.xylem.demon.co.uk/

Thu, 10 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 FAQ? What FAQ?

Quote:
> I would assume the PB FAQ will move to alt.pb or whatever it is
> and a simple reminder will be posted here, but that takes intelligence
> and were still waiting to see how smart the PB fanatics are.

Dan, what is your problem? What is the problem you have with PB? You
seem to continually undermine it, criticise its users etc..

Cheers,
--
Peter Cooper

Thu, 10 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 FAQ? What FAQ?

Quote:
>> I would assume the PB FAQ will move to alt.pb or whatever it is
>> and a simple reminder will be posted here, but that takes
>> intelligence and were still waiting to see how smart the PB fanatics
>> are.
>Dan, what is your problem? What is the problem you have with PB? You
>seem to continually undermine it, criticise its users etc..

 Sorry, it was before your time Peter.
 I have no respect for any business that uses Usenet or FidoNet against
 standard policy. PB Inc. used both in this manner years ago. And
 continued using Fido in this manner even after a designated PB echo was
 formed seperate from the QuickBasic and PDS/VBDOS echos. I'm talking
 about unwanted commercials which are against policy in MOST usenet
 newsgroups, save for the memory of the *.business.*, *.announce.*,
 and *.product.* members of certain hierarchies. I'd tell you to ask
 Douggie about it, so that you'd get an unbiased overview, but he's
 like gone now.

 I have never undermined the product, I am sure it is fine, although
 I have pointed out flaws in statements made by its users, such as
 "DLL's are faster" which makes no sence whatsoever. But, I'd do that
 to anyone who made such a statement whether it invovled PB or not.
 All I can tell you is either twit me out, or learn to live with it.

Sun, 13 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 FAQ? What FAQ?

Quote:
> I have never undermined the product, I am sure it is fine, although
> I have pointed out flaws in statements made by its users, such as
> "DLL's are faster" which makes no sence whatsoever. But, I'd do that
> to anyone who made such a statement whether it invovled PB or not.
> All I can tell you is either twit me out, or learn to live with it.

A DLL written in PBDLL and used by VB is faster than the native VB
commands. It's a fact that I had to prove to myself with some well
placed timers. I was skeptical as well...

Of course, a DLL written to be called from an app written in Delphi or
C++ will be slower every time. Simply because it has to be linked in
at runtime.

JE McTaggart

Tue, 15 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 FAQ? What FAQ?

Quote:

>> I have never undermined the product, I am sure it is fine, although
>> I have pointed out flaws in statements made by its users, such as
>> "DLL's are faster" which makes no sence whatsoever. But, I'd do that
>> to anyone who made such a statement whether it invovled PB or not.
>> All I can tell you is either twit me out, or learn to live with it.
>A DLL written in PBDLL and used by VB is faster than the native VB
>commands. It's a fact that I had to prove to myself with some well
>placed timers. I was skeptical as well...

 When you can prove that DLL can only refer to PB, you'll have a
 statement. Until then, "DLL is faster" as a sentence by itself, makes
 no sense.

Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 FAQ? What FAQ?

Hello Daniel !!

Quote:
> There is no longer a FAQ for this newsgroup, except the over
> glorified and under simplified PB FAQ and BB FAQ.

>  I would assume the PB FAQ will move to alt.pb or whatever it is
>  and a simple reminder will be posted here, but that takes intelligence
>  and were still waiting to see how smart the PB fanatics are.

Sorry, Daniel what's your problem with powerbasic Inc. and PowerBASIC
users? The very good support, the quantity of sources and toolboxes,
the nearly unlimited possibilities or are you frustrate with your
compiler? 8-)))

Regards,

                             ----------------
                                /
                              /  h o m a s

www    : http://www.snafu.de/~pbsound/ (PowerBASIC's Home in Germany)
         PBSOUND - The Sound Blaster Toolkit, PowerBASIC-FAQ, PowerBASIC-
         sources & toolboxes, PowerBASIC on Web, PowerBASIC News and much
         more or less important PowerBASIC stuff.
fax/bbs: +49-30-47300910 (VFC,V34,X75,ISDNC / 9600-64000bps)

Fri, 18 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 FAQ? What FAQ?

Quote:

>In article "Re: FAQ? What FAQ?" (on 21.12.96),

Quote:
>Hello Daniel !!
>> There is no longer a FAQ for this newsgroup, except the over
>> glorified and under simplified PB FAQ and BB FAQ.

>>  I would assume the PB FAQ will move to alt.pb or whatever it is
>>  and a simple reminder will be posted here, but that takes
>>intelligence and were still waiting to see how smart the PB fanatics
>are.
>Sorry, Daniel what's your problem with PowerBASIC Inc. and PowerBASIC

 Lack of respect for usenet/Fidonet policy for a starter, posting
 a 130KB+ file rather than a WWW page for another, but that's enough
 about that.

Quote:
>users? The very good support, the quantity of sources and toolboxes,

 This applies to them not moving their FAQ to alt.lang.whatever in what
 way agian? Oh, I'm sorry, I just realized whom you are, not that it
 matters. You're the FAQ poster here, you're the one who won't post a
 URL to the FAQ, I don't need to go any further. You know exactly what
 I'm talking about, because you are part of it.

Quote:
>the nearly unlimited possibilities or are you frustrate with your
>compiler? 8-)))

 My compilers work fine, and can't be beat since I got them ALL,
 VBDOS, TC++ 3.0, etc.. for under $150, but my compilers have
 nothing to do with this. My compilers aren't posting a 130+KB
 FAQ to any group, nor did they post advertisemtns in Fido/usenet
 when the standard policy was NO ADVERTI{*filter*}TS! My compilers didn't
 say DLL's are faster, my compilers didn't try to walk all over
 good taste and try to get away with it.

Sun, 20 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 FAQ? What FAQ?

Quote:
> Lack of respect for usenet/Fidonet policy for a starter, posting
> a 130KB+ file rather than a WWW page for another, but that's enough
> about that.

> This applies to them not moving their FAQ to alt.lang.whatever in what
> way agian? Oh, I'm sorry, I just realized whom you are, not that it
> matters. You're the FAQ poster here, you're the one who won't post a
> URL to the FAQ, I don't need to go any further. You know exactly what
> I'm talking about, because you are part of it.

Umm.. The Business BASIC FAQ is also posted here, dont just pick on the
PB FAQ. A lot of {*filter*}pointless binaries are posted too.. I also post my
fanzine here. It's what it's all about.. It's life Dan.

Cheers,
--
Peter Cooper

Mon, 19 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. New Word FAQ site - brief FAQ

2. FAQ NEEDED: I am looking for API faq

3. BIG FAQ to help you with...

4. Where is the FAQ ?

5. New Users - Look Here First FAQ 102998

6. New Users - Look Here First FAQ 102698

7. no more FAQ postings...

8. !! New Users - Look Here First FAQ 111098

9. !! New Users - Look Here First FAQ 110998

10. !! New Users - Look Here First FAQ 110698

11. MS-Access FAQ 082898

12. !! New Users - Look Here First FAQ 110598