Teaching a 9 yr old QBasic
Author Message
 Teaching a 9 yr old QBasic

Decided it was time for my 9 yr old daughter to get acquainted with
programming so dusted off my old copy of QBasic.

Got her started with ideas about Variables and Literals, iterating with
FOR loops, making choices with Logical operators, then getting it onto
the screen in the way she wants.

Now I want her to put some of these ideas into practice.

All the elementary progamming examples I've got immediately move on to
things like compound interest, basic  statistics. It's all way over her
head.

So far the best I've come up with is generating a 'times table' matrix.

What next??

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a project or on-line tutorial
that would be suitable for someone so young??

Or must I wait another couple of years before she can work on a 'useful'
programming example??

  Miles

--
Cut the .over.the.rainbow if you prefer to reply by email

Thu, 05 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Teaching a 9 yr old QBasic

Quote:
>>Decided it was time for my 9 yr old daughter to get acquainted with
>programming so dusted off my old copy of QBasic.

>Got her started with ideas about Variables and Literals, iterating with
>FOR loops, making choices with Logical operators, then getting it onto
>the screen in the way she wants.

>Now I want her to put some of these ideas into practice.

>All the elementary progamming examples I've got immediately move on to
>things like compound interest, basic  statistics. It's all way over her
>head.

How about "How many ways can you think of  to put this scrambled list of
numbers back into numerical order?"  Does she collect anything?  That could
lead to a simple (but evolving) database problem.

If it's spam, it's a scam.  Don't do business with Net abusers.

Thu, 05 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Teaching a 9 yr old QBasic

Text based calculators are good to learn from

Thu, 05 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Teaching a 9 yr old QBasic
On Sun, 18 Oct 1998 17:20:10 +0100, Miles Lakin

Quote:

>Decided it was time for my 9 yr old daughter to get acquainted with
>programming so dusted off my old copy of QBasic.

>Got her started with ideas about Variables and Literals, iterating with
>FOR loops, making choices with Logical operators, then getting it onto
>the screen in the way she wants.

>Now I want her to put some of these ideas into practice.

>All the elementary progamming examples I've got immediately move on to
>things like compound interest, basic  statistics. It's all way over her
>head.

>So far the best I've come up with is generating a 'times table' matrix.

>What next??

>Does anyone have any suggestions as to a project or on-line tutorial
>that would be suitable for someone so young??

>Or must I wait another couple of years before she can work on a 'useful'
>programming example??

>  Miles

>--
>Cut the .over.the.rainbow if you prefer to reply by email

How about the old "hangman" or "wheel of fortune" style game?

You don't have to work with the graphics, but to read a word from a file, then
to put up a set of dashes that represent the length of the string and then to
fill in the string in response to keystrokes, should give the young programmer
a work out of general principles.

And it's a learning game, but it is a game and should be playable after the
programming is done.  Something to show off to the programmer's friends.

Barry
bceggers At usa DOT net

Thu, 05 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Teaching a 9 yr old QBasic
You don't teach a 9 yr old to read from a file!!! Or even program a
game!! That's stuff is beyond her capacity!
Start first by teaching PRINT, INPUT, INKEY$, SELECT CASE, FOR-NEXT,
DO-LOOP...

Ask questions for projects as :

Make a program who will input your name, and will PRINT "Hello " +
Name$... like:

INPUT "Enter your name : ", Name$
PRINT "Hello " + Name$                 ' or PRINT "Hello "; Name$

or Make a program ask to INPUT a number and PRINT a list from 1 to that
number:

INPUT "Enter a number from 1 to 500 :", Number%
IF Number% > 500 OR Number% < 1 THEN
   PRINT "Out of limits!"
   END
END IF
FOR A% = 1 TO Number%
   PRINT A%;                  ' explain the use of the ";"
NEXT

Well, if you need something else, right me in my own E-mail address.
I encourage young people to start programming, it developpes logic and
imaginarion, independance or thinking and it's better than Math (my
personnal opinion!)
Well, so, that's it for today!
CLASS DISMISS!!

-Dekah

Thu, 05 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Teaching a 9 yr old QBasic

Quote:
>Decided it was time for my 9 yr old daughter to get acquainted with
>programming so dusted off my old copy of QBasic.
<snip>
>Does anyone have any suggestions as to a project or on-line tutorial
>that would be suitable for someone so young??

Yes, to save her any future heartache when she reaches her {*filter*}s
you should get her to code a "boyfriend evaluator" to sort out the
cool dudes from the wimps ;-)

Kids tend to have a short attention span so the project involve
something she's into - dolls, horses, pets etc.

Quote:
>Or must I wait another couple of years before she can work on
>a 'useful' programming example??

No ! start her young, that way you can retire earlier when she
becomes a multi-millionaire :)

Thu, 05 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Teaching a 9 yr old QBasic
On Sun, 18 Oct 1998 17:20:10 +0100, Miles Lakin pondered:

Quote:
> Decided it was time for my 9 yr old daughter to get acquainted with
> programming so dusted off my old copy of QBasic.
> Now I want her to put some of these ideas into practice.
> So far the best I've come up with is generating a 'times table' matrix.

> What next??

Perhaps you could try getting her to make a simple computer game. Maybe
something with a few simple graphics (or even ASCII graphics). Some kind of maze
game, perhaps, or if you want something simpler, maybe "Guess the number" or a
fruit machine. There are loads of possibilities for simple games such as these.

Alex Warren

http://come.to/axe           - Axe Software: freeware for DOS & Windows
http://come.to/basixfanzine  - Basix Fanzine: magazine for BASIC programmers
http://members.tripod.com/~perditionproductions           - mods (IT format)
(please reply to the newsgroup - if you must reply by email, change the anti-
spam rubbish to the email address above)

Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Teaching a 9 yr old QBasic
I was about 9 when I first discovered QBASIC. My mom doesn't know much about
computers, and my dad can't even turn one on (literly), so I had to teach
myself. My first program was a simple question and answer game using input,
print, if...then, and goto. I didn't need much else.

Quote:
>Decided it was time for my 9 yr old daughter to get acquainted with
>programming so dusted off my old copy of QBasic.

>Got her started with ideas about Variables and Literals, iterating with
>FOR loops, making choices with Logical operators, then getting it onto
>the screen in the way she wants.

>Now I want her to put some of these ideas into practice.

>All the elementary progamming examples I've got immediately move on to
>things like compound interest, basic  statistics. It's all way over her
>head.

>So far the best I've come up with is generating a 'times table' matrix.

>What next??

>Does anyone have any suggestions as to a project or on-line tutorial
>that would be suitable for someone so young??

>Or must I wait another couple of years before she can work on a 'useful'
>programming example??

>  Miles

>--
>Cut the .over.the.rainbow if you prefer to reply by email

Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Teaching a 9 yr old QBasic

Quote:
>>>Decided it was time for my 9 yr old daughter to get acquainted with
>>programming so dusted off my old copy of QBasic.
>>Got her started with ideas about Variables and Literals, iterating with
>>FOR loops, making choices with Logical operators, then getting it onto
>>the screen in the way she wants.
>>Now I want her to put some of these ideas into practice.
>>All the elementary progamming examples I've got immediately move on to
>>things like compound interest, basic  statistics.

Whatever you do, there's nothing better for a child than to see it in
print - it gives them some feeling of permanence which is very
comforting, I guess.

I suggest you do a loop that prints out the days of the week and the
chores, lessons etc that she has to do on those days.

 You can change it each week, or during the week, and reprint it
whenever it is changed.  You can use a separate record on a disk file
for each day of the week, then start a loop, 1 for Monday, 2 for
tuesday, etc, then read the record that corresponds to the day, either
as a random record or as the next one in sequence in the file, and
pick a day name from a table (ARRAY) of 7 names.

You can have her use a simple editor initially to type in the text on
a single line for each day record on the disk, then read them, add the
day name to the front, then print it.

Later, you can introduce the concept of a master file, where you read
the old records with the basic program, display what is the current
txt on file for that day, do pgup/pgdn or something for displaying the
next record (day) in the file, and type in new text in addition to the
old to update the record, then do a new "print" as a hot key function,
and if a day record is change then write out the new information in
place of the old.

When this gets boring for her, add a simple menu of choices for
add/change/print etc, or make up a calendar for a whole month.

Add in birthdays, Christmas or whatever, and make it for a whole year
if you want.  She will probably start to tell you what she wants to do
with it after a while.

Regards,Tom Werry  gpsnav at pacific dot net dot sg
Programmer's Logic:   Press ENTER to exit.  (laugh now, here)

Sat, 07 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Teaching a 9 yr old QBasic

Quote:
> You don't teach a 9 yr old to read from a file!!! Or even program a
> game!! That's stuff is beyond her capacity!
> Start first by teaching PRINT, INPUT, INKEY$, SELECT CASE, FOR-NEXT,
> DO-LOOP...

Seems she knows this already:

"Got her started with ideas about Variables and Literals, iterating with
FOR loops, making choices with Logical operators, then getting it onto
the screen in the way she wants." - from the original post.

Games are certainly not beyond the capacity of a nine-year-old - I made a couple
of maze games at that age in BBC BASIC when I was about eight. Sadly, my Acorn
Electron, which I programmed on, died so I can't look back over my old code and
reminisce... *sniff*

Alex Warren

http://come.to/axe           - Axe Software: freeware for DOS & Windows
http://come.to/basixfanzine  - Basix Fanzine: magazine for BASIC programmers
http://members.tripod.com/~perditionproductions           - mods (IT format)
(please reply to the newsgroup - if you must reply by email, change the anti-
spam rubbish to the email address above)

Sat, 07 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Teaching a 9 yr old QBasic
Many tnx for all the suggestions everybody. I'm very grateful.

Like I said in my post, I've given her what (I think, but I've never
taken a CS course) is a kind starter set of concepts/keywords and I'd
like to reinforce those for a few weeks before moving forward.

The hangman game sounds ideal, we'll have a look at that tonight :-)

The database ideas based on something close to her should be good for
the future. Would need file i/o which I want to avoid till I'm sure
she's absorbed what I've already shown her. Though maybe I could set it
up with a few simple functions to mask file handles and things. Just as
a temporary measure.

And everyone who spoke of games. Yeah, you're right, that's what appeals
to kids!!! We were just futzing around and I showed her how to switch
the screen colours. Her eyes lit up :-)

But a young (or old) brain can only do so much at once. The VGA palette
had better wait a few weeks. I don't want to scare her off by trying to
doing too much at once without taking the time to really get acquainted
with the earlier stuff by putting it to good use.

  Miles

--
Cut the .over.the.rainbow if you prefer to reply by email

Sun, 08 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 20 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Can you help a 16 yr old Wanting to learn VB 4

2. Fathers question about 11 yr old programmer son...

3. Old legency DOS Qbasic system printing

4. Qbasic from old machine

5. Old QBasic programs

6. Old QBasic source files

7. Old QBasic source files

8. printing in Qbasic (the old one!)

9. Looking for som *old* Qbasic music

10. 10-year-old starting to program with QBasic 1.1

11. ranslating an OLD QBasic File...

12. Old PLAY command in QBasic