Need advice on QuickBASIC book.
Author Message
 Need advice on QuickBASIC book.

        I need advice on what would be a good book to use to learn
QuickBASIC.  I know a lot of the language already, and I'm looking for a
moderately agrresive text that will cover beginning through advanced
techniques.  I've got "Running MS-DOS QBasic", but I find it too slow paced.
 I would appreciate any suggestions.

                                                Doug Fessler

Mon, 01 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Need advice on QuickBASIC book.
:       I need advice on what would be a good book to use to learn
: QuickBASIC.  I know a lot of the language already, and I'm looking for a
: moderately agrresive text that will cover beginning through advanced
: techniques.  I've got "Running MS-DOS QBasic", but I find it too slow paced.
:  I would appreciate any suggestions.

A while back I uploaded a book called "BASIC Techniques and Utilities" by
Ethan Winer to x2ftp.oulu.fi. Just ftp there, and get the file called
/pub/msdos/programming/docs/winer.zip

In my opinion, this is the greatest book on BASIC programming ever
written. Have fun.

Tue, 02 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Need advice on QuickBASIC book.

Quote:

> :  I need advice on what would be a good book to use to learn
> : QuickBASIC.  I know a lot of the language already, and I'm looking for a
> : moderately agrresive text that will cover beginning through advanced
> : techniques.  I've got "Running MS-DOS QBasic", but I find it too slow
paced.
> :  I would appreciate any suggestions.

> A while back I uploaded a book called "BASIC Techniques and Utilities" by
> Ethan Winer to x2ftp.oulu.fi. Just ftp there, and get the file called
> /pub/msdos/programming/docs/winer.zip

> In my opinion, this is the greatest book on BASIC programming ever
> written. Have fun.

Winer's book is excellent, but it certainly won't teach you how to program.
It's a book for people who think they know virtually everything there is
to know about MS-BASIC, but then find there's somebody who knows ten times
as much.  It's a good source for learning techniques to optimize programs
you have already written.

Of course, the most optimized program is not necessarily the best
program.  The best book for teaching you how to develop a "proper"
maintainable program is CODE COMPLETE by Steve McConnell (Microsoft
Press).  It's not language-specific, but contains clear examples in
mostly C and Pascal (with some BASIC, fortran, etc. thrown in
occasionally).  This book gets my highest recommendation for anybody
who has learned a programming language (beginning to expert).

The book I cut my teeth on while getting into BASIC is Steven Nameroff's
Quick BASIC: The Complete Reference (Osborne McGraw-Hill).  It's a clearly
written book for people who have started learning the language and want
a more organized reference than Microsoft's manuals.  It's also good for
people who already know other languages and want to pick up on the Quick
BASIC syntax.  I highly recommend this book, but am not sure if it's still
available.  The copyright date is 1989.

Tue, 02 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Need advice on QuickBASIC book.
Winer.zip is about on the Internet, the whole text of the book is now
freeware, the ftp site to find it was posted a few days back, but I can't
recall what it was. Most ftp sites that are involved with BASIC would
have it I guess.

Paul Budd

Wed, 03 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Need advice on QuickBASIC book.

Quote:
>    I need advice on what would be a good book to use to learn
>QuickBASIC.  I know a lot of the language already, and I'm looking for a
>moderately agrresive text that will cover beginning through advanced
>techniques.  I've got "Running MS-DOS QBasic", but I find it too slow paced.

Try Ethan Winer's book Basic Techniques and utilities previously published
by Ziff Davis, now available as freeware check the SimTel archives.
Ethan Winer was the founder of Crescent Software and author of several
Basic libraries.  His book is a must have.

Sat, 06 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Need advice on Basic Book

2. need advice on VB database books

3. ...Need advice on VB books

4. FA: QuickBasic 4.5 and instruction books

5. WTB: QuickBASIC Books

6. Third Party Books on QuickBASIC v4.5...

7. Any advice for a good VB .net book?

8. Advice on Books

9. Beginner seeking book advice

10. Please, advice on a good book