visual basic compiler
Author Message
 visual basic compiler

sorry folks but i'm a newbie to the programming scene and am wondering if
anyone could point me to the direction of a Visual Basic compiler?   all i
keep getting on web searches is books and training cd roms for visual basic
and not the actual compiler.

i've seen this visual basic.net thing, whats that about then?  i'm just
after visual basic 6 or something like that, oh and preferably something
that will run on windows xp.   i live in the UK by the way

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 01:40:33 GMT
 visual basic compiler

Quote:

> sorry folks but i'm a newbie to the programming scene and am wondering if
> anyone could point me to the direction of a visual basic compiler?   all i
> keep getting on web searches is books and training cd roms for visual basic
> and not the actual compiler.

> i've seen this visual basic.net thing, whats that about then?  i'm just
> after visual basic 6 or something like that, oh and preferably something
> that will run on windows xp.   i live in the UK by the way

The compiler is available from Microsoft.
Can usually find one on ebay.
Can sometimes find a crippled learning version that comes with a book.
Used to be able to download it from Microsoft as the control creation
edition
or something similar...
If all you need is a similar user interface, try Xbasic.  It's free.
mike
21' RV, 400cc Dirt Bike
Police Scanner, LCD overhead projector
Tek 2465, ham radio, 30pS pulser

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 01:55:37 GMT
 visual basic compiler
The only way to get a compiler for VB is to
purhase the product. I am not aware of any
website that has a non-Microsoft compiler for
VB.

You can do a search on the internet and find copies
of VB 3.0, VB 4.0 for download from sites that
pirate the software. VB 5.0, VB 6.0 are not
available as a pirated edition from what I've seen or
read on any newsgroup.

VB.NET is the latest version from Microsoft that is
intended to replace the VB 6.0 version. There are
a large percentage of VB programmers who are not
too happy about .NET because it totally drops the
VB type language in favor of a C / HTML / JAVA
sort of language. The single complaint I've heard on
the newsgroups is that anyone can open your
project in a text editor and read your code.

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 07:27:56 GMT
 visual basic compiler
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:27:56 GMT, "Logit"

Quote:

>The only way to get a compiler for VB is to
>purhase the product. I am not aware of any
>website that has a non-Microsoft compiler for
>VB.

>You can do a search on the internet and find copies
>of VB 3.0, VB 4.0 for download from sites that
>pirate the software. VB 5.0, VB 6.0 are not
>available as a pirated edition from what I've seen or
>read on any newsgroup.

I have seen VB6 and Vis Studio 6, somewhere.
Wouldn't trust them, though. :-)

Quote:
>VB.NET is the latest version from Microsoft that is
>intended to replace the VB 6.0 version. There are
>a large percentage of VB programmers who are not
>too happy about .NET because it totally drops the
>VB type language in favor of a C / HTML / JAVA
>sort of language. The single complaint I've heard on
>the newsgroups is that anyone can open your
>project in a text editor and read your code.

Never seen it, never will. :-)
--
Arargh at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
Basic Compiler Samples Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/basic.html

To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 07:55:49 GMT
 visual basic compiler

Quote:
> sorry folks but i'm a newbie to the programming scene and am wondering if
> anyone could point me to the direction of a visual basic compiler?   all i
> keep getting on web searches is books and training cd roms for visual
basic
> and not the actual compiler.

> i've seen this visual basic.net thing, whats that about then?  i'm just
> after visual basic 6 or something like that, oh and preferably something
> that will run on windows xp.   i live in the UK by the way

If you just want it for personal use, then XBasic is your best choice
http://xbasic.org

If you want a business language i.e. advanced internet/database
capabilities, then get VB from Microsoft. Here is the free version of VB to
get you started
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/downloads/tools/cce/default.aspx

Vic

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 09:28:20 GMT
 visual basic compiler

Quote:

> > sorry folks but i'm a newbie to the programming scene and am wondering if
> > anyone could point me to the direction of a visual basic compiler?   all i
> > keep getting on web searches is books and training cd roms for visual basic
> > and not the actual compiler.

> > i've seen this visual basic.net thing, whats that about then?  i'm just
> > after visual basic 6 or something like that, oh and preferably something
> > that will run on windows xp.   i live in the UK by the way

> The compiler is available from Microsoft.
> Can usually find one on ebay.
> Can sometimes find a crippled learning version that comes with a book.

The only copy of vb i have is VB5LE from a book i bought cheap.  It
does compile and so is useful for simple vb programs which you want to
transport around (assuming the runtime is on the other machine).
There are limitations, so this option is only good if you don't plan
on 'serious' scale projects.

Quote:
> Used to be able to download it from Microsoft as the control creation
> edition
> or something similar...
> If all you need is a similar user interface, try Xbasic.  It's free.
> mike

If the OT wants a skill for possible jobs then vb.net can be had in
intro books too, for a cost - but not too much usually.

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:03:58 GMT

1. visual basic compiler, for dos

2. Visual Basic Compiler

3. Where can I download VISUAL Basic compiler?

4. Shareware Visual Basic Compiler

5. visual basic compiler, for dos

6. VISUAL BASIC COMPILER,for dos

7. Need Visual Basic Compiler

8. Free Beta Visual Basic Dos Compiler (DOS, WIN95/NT,Linux)

9. Visual Basic Help Files (Compilers)

10. I need Help Compiler for Visual Basic 4.0

11. Visual Basic 5 = Compiler????

12. Need to buy Visual Basic with Compiler, Version 2.0