source code of GWBASIC
Author Message
 source code of GWBASIC

I'm looking for the source code of Bill Gates' old language  "GW-Basic" .
Is it available meanwhile or are there still copyright issues ?

Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:37:13 GMT
 source code of GWBASIC

Quote:
> I'm looking for the source code of Bill Gates' old language  "GW-Basic" .
> Is it available meanwhile or are there still copyright issues ?

As far as I know, the source code to GW-BASIC was never released to the
public.

You might try:
Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond WA 98052-6399 USA
Sales Info: 1-800-426-9400

MCM

Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:24:10 GMT
 source code of GWBASIC
Prior to GW-Basic there was MS Basic with the most popular referred to as MS 8K
Basic because it was stored in 8K of onboard proms on many early personal
computers.  It was written entirely in assembly code and ported to many CPUs of
the time...6502, 6800, Z80 etc.  Most computer manufactures changed it and
added features to it to suit their needs meaning little standardization
existed.
Quote:

> > I'm looking for the source code of Bill Gates' old language  "GW-Basic" .
> > Is it available meanwhile or are there still copyright issues ?

> As far as I know, the source code to GW-BASIC was never released to the
> public.

> You might try:
> Microsoft Corporation
> One Microsoft Way
> Redmond WA 98052-6399 USA
> Sales Info: 1-800-426-9400

> MCM

Wed, 09 Mar 2005 02:19:01 GMT
 source code of GWBASIC

Quote:

>I'm looking for the source code of Bill Gates' old language  "GW-Basic" .
>Is it available meanwhile or are there still copyright issues ?

Probably the closest you will get is one of the freeware BASIC interpreters.  If
you'll settle for C code, you can find a link to the source for Bywater Basic
(and several others in other languages) at: http://www.rahul.net/rhn/basic/
 (scroll down to "other resources".

VB3 source code: http://thelabwiz.home.mindspring.com/vbsource.html
VB6 source code: http://thelabwiz.home.mindspring.com/vb6source.html
VB6 - MySQL how to: http://thelabwiz.home.mindspring.com/mysql.html
Fix the obvious to reply by email.

Wed, 09 Mar 2005 07:43:52 GMT
 source code of GWBASIC

Quote:

>I'm looking for the source code of Bill Gates' old language "GW-Basic" .
>Is it available meanwhile or are there still copyright issues ?

The source code is still copyrighted by Microsoft, probably for at
least another 45+ years.

But you CAN get a copy of some source code with a little vintage
computer and antique book research.  In the early 1980's a few books
about MS Basic source code were published.  The Basic source code
itself was copyrighted and therefore not printed.  But disassembly
by an individual of a computer they owned was considered legal.  So
a book could publish the code for a disassembler, and a complete set
of reverse engineered comments for the resultant assembly language
listing.  You sucked the machine code for Basic out the ROM of your
computer, ran the disassembler, and added the comments from the book.
The result was complete and fairly readable source code.

If I recall, there were books of this type published on the TRS-80
Level II, Applesoft and IBM PC versions of Microsoft Basic.  Not sure
where to look for very out-of-print books of this vintage.  And of
course, you need to find the ROM for one of these old PC's also (might
be able to find one on a junk heap in someone's garage).

IMHO. YMMV.
--

#include <canonical.disclaimer>   // only my own opinions, etc.

Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:37:26 GMT
 source code of GWBASIC

Quote:

> I'm looking for the source code of Bill Gates' old language  "GW-Basic" .
> Is it available meanwhile or are there still copyright issues ?

Others have answered, but you know just because something has
fallen out of copyright (and I'm not saying it has) doesn't mean
you'll ever see the source code.  There is absolutely no obligation
by someone to release it, at any time, GPL excepted.  So even
if any Microsoft Basic was no longer copyrighted (I don't think
so, but if any it would be the earliest, starting from 1975)
the only way you'd see source code is if someone happened to
have it, a third party most likely, and let it go.

If you simply want to see the source to a BASIC interpreter,
go and look for early issues of Dr. Dobbs.  It started in order
to generate interest in, and actual programs, for a tiny BASIC
that would run in the sort of memory that was common circa 1975.
There were plenty of them published in the early days, and the process
was continued as new CPUs came into hobby circles.  There was a tiny
BASIC for the 6809 and the 68000.

   Michael

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 02:12:32 GMT
 source code of GWBASIC
there is Yabasic interpreter source written in C

http://www.yabasic.de/

Quote:

> I'm looking for the source code of Bill Gates' old language  "GW-Basic" .
> Is it available meanwhile or are there still copyright issues ?

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 02:35:47 GMT
 source code of GWBASIC

Quote:

> If I recall, there were books of this type published on the TRS-80
> Level II, Applesoft and IBM PC versions of Microsoft Basic.

The Wheaton Library bookstore (Wheaton, MD) has several copies of "TRS-80
Level II ROMs" available.

I never saw a disassembly of Applesoft BASIC, but "Beneath Apple DOS"
was very popular too.

Tim.

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 03:07:04 GMT
 source code of GWBASIC

Quote:

> I never saw a disassembly of Applesoft BASIC, but "Beneath Apple DOS"
> was very popular too.

Two popular macro assemblers, Merlin and the S-C assembler,
came with a fully-commented disassembly of Applesoft. Actually,
for copyright reasons, it was more of a disassembly kit: you
got a program that would disassemble Applesoft from your
computer's ROM and automatically add meaningful labels and
comments in the right place, then dump the listing to a text
file.

Paul Guertin

Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:47:08 GMT

1. GWBASIC/QuickBasic source code archive

2. new GWBASIC source code archive

3. Visual Basic source-code to C++ source-code

4. Visual Basic source-code to C++ source-code

5. Visual Basic source-code to C++ source-code

6. Help Converting Gwbasic source to Visual Basic.

7. GWBASIC (1/1) - gwbasic.zip [2/2]

8. GWBASIC (1/1) - gwbasic.zip [1/2]

9. A great source-code-source

10. controlling display of LISTed code lines for gwbasic programs

11. retriving code in gwbasic?

12. Need help compiling gwbasic/qbasic code