A way to not re-register Objects or controls
Author Message
 A way to not re-register Objects or controls

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone knows a way to not have to re-register activex
dlls or controls after they have been installed on a client machine.  In
other words,
if i recompile a dll, i want to simply be able to copy it to the client
machine without re-registering it...can anyone help?

I know this is only possible if the interface definition of your objects
have not changed from version to version...which in my case, they have not.
I tried compiling the dlls with the "binary compatibility" option set, but
that doesnt seem to help.

thanks much!

Sun, 08 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 A way to not re-register Objects or controls
This has been my experience with the alleged binary compatibility feature.
(vb5)  I have heard rummors of people getting binary compatibility to
actually work.  But I think they are greatly exagerated!

Good luck
David Phillips

Quote:
> Greetings,

> I was wondering if anyone knows a way to not have to re-register activex
> dlls or controls after they have been installed on a client machine.  In
> other words,
> if i recompile a dll, i want to simply be able to copy it to the client
> machine without re-registering it...can anyone help?

> I know this is only possible if the interface definition of your objects
> have not changed from version to version...which in my case, they have
not.
> I tried compiling the dlls with the "binary compatibility" option set,
but
> that doesnt seem to help.

> thanks much!

Mon, 09 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 A way to not re-register Objects or controls
What you need to do is:

(1) During original development, set compatibility to "none", and compile a
version of the ActiveX control/dll/exe and store it someplace special (a
"reference" directory would be good, or you could give it an altered name,
with "Reference" tacked on the end).  This module has the GUID that never
changes, and serves as the "master copy".  It defines the interface
contract.

(2) Now change your project back, and turn on "Binary Compatibility", and
make it point to your reference copy.  From now on, the GUID will never
change ... and things will go well as long as you don't change your
published interface.

(3)  You can probably just copy the new file over the old file on the client
machines, since the directory and the GUID don't change.  But if you change
the resources used, you might still need to do a regular install, so that
the files which it depends upon are present.

Best Regards, Peter

Quote:

>This has been my experience with the alleged binary compatibility feature.
>(vb5)  I have heard rummors of people getting binary compatibility to
>actually work.  But I think they are greatly exagerated!

>Good luck
>David Phillips

>> Greetings,

>> I was wondering if anyone knows a way to not have to re-register activex
>> dlls or controls after they have been installed on a client machine.  In
>> other words,
>> if i recompile a dll, i want to simply be able to copy it to the client
>> machine without re-registering it...can anyone help?

>> I know this is only possible if the interface definition of your objects
>> have not changed from version to version...which in my case, they have
>not.
>> I tried compiling the dlls with the "binary compatibility" option set,
>but
>> that doesnt seem to help.

>> thanks much!

Thu, 12 Apr 2001 02:00:00 GMT
 A way to not re-register Objects or controls
The problem i was having was due to a bug in VB5 (which i am proud to have
discovered :))
apparently, if you have a function that takes an optional parameter, and you
try to set the default value of that parameter to a VB intrinsic enumerated
value...the thing wont compile if you have the binary compatibility option
set.

i.e  Public Function MyFunc(Optional lyFlag as byte = TRUE) as byte
the above line wont compile

if you replace true with 255, it works as it should

Quote:

>Greetings,

>I was wondering if anyone knows a way to not have to re-register activex
>dlls or controls after they have been installed on a client machine.  In
>other words,
>if i recompile a dll, i want to simply be able to copy it to the client
>machine without re-registering it...can anyone help?

>I know this is only possible if the interface definition of your objects
>have not changed from version to version...which in my case, they have not.
>I tried compiling the dlls with the "binary compatibility" option set, but
>that doesnt seem to help.

>thanks much!

Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. A way to not re-register Objects or controls

2. A way to not re-register Objects or controls

3. A way to not re-register Objects or controls

4. XP SP1 Access denied to Objects, Object events not registered

5. Object server not registered.

6. VB4 Object server not correctly registered, problem.

7. Object Server Not Correctly Registered

8. Object server not correctly registered?...

9. Object server not correctly registered

10. Object Server not correctly registered?

11. object server not registered

12. Object server not correctly registered