QBasic and Latest PC Operating Systems
Author Message
 QBasic and Latest PC Operating Systems

Hi all,

I am having to move from W98 on my desktop to an ?? OS on a portable.

I'm wondering which of the current crop of MS operating systems to
*definitely* avoid if I want to keep programming in QBasic. I'd love to stay
with my stable W98 but new portables come with the OS preinstalled.

Many thanks

--
David

Fri, 06 May 2005 12:09:39 GMT
 QBasic and Latest PC Operating Systems

Quote:
>Hi all,

>I am having to move from W98 on my desktop to an ?? OS on a portable.

>I'm wondering which of the current crop of MS operating systems to
>*definitely* avoid if I want to keep programming in QBasic. I'd love to stay
>with my stable W98 but new portables come with the OS preinstalled.

IMO, the first step is FDISK.

--
Arargh (at arargh dot com)    http://www.arargh.com
To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.

Fri, 06 May 2005 12:31:19 GMT
 QBasic and Latest PC Operating Systems

Quote:

> >Hi all,

> >I am having to move from W98 on my desktop to an ?? OS on a portable.

> >I'm wondering which of the current crop of MS operating systems to
> >*definitely* avoid if I want to keep programming in QBasic. I'd love to
stay
> >with my stable W98 but new portables come with the OS preinstalled.

> IMO, the first step is FDISK.

> --
> Arargh (at arargh dot com)    http://www.arargh.com
> To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.

OK, I'll bite... what does FDISK mean?  Surely I don't need to be a DOS
expert - QBasic installed and worked beautifully under W98.

Thanks again.

> (Enteract can keep the spam, they are gone anyway)

Fri, 06 May 2005 12:59:47 GMT
 QBasic and Latest PC Operating Systems

Quote:

>> >Hi all,

>> >I am having to move from W98 on my desktop to an ?? OS on a portable.

>> >I'm wondering which of the current crop of MS operating systems to
>> >*definitely* avoid if I want to keep programming in QBasic. I'd love to
>stay
>> >with my stable W98 but new portables come with the OS preinstalled.

>> IMO, the first step is FDISK.

>> --
>> Arargh (at arargh dot com)    http://www.arargh.com
>> To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.

>OK, I'll bite... what does FDISK mean?  Surely I don't need to be a DOS
>expert - QBasic installed and worked beautifully under W98.

>Thanks again.

In this case what it meant was to blow away whatever OS came on the
new machine, and replace it with W98.

I recently did that for a client, his new laptop came with XP, and he
got sick of it in a couple weeks, and I replaced it with Win 98.  Only
problem was finding all the necessary drivers.

However, if you can order the new portable with WinME installed, you
can just use that.

--
Arargh (at arargh dot com)    http://www.arargh.com
To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.
(Enteract can keep the spam, they are gone anyway)

Fri, 06 May 2005 13:26:30 GMT
 QBasic and Latest PC Operating Systems

Quote:

> >stay

> >> IMO, the first step is FDISK.

> >> --
> >> Arargh (at arargh dot com)    http://www.arargh.com
> >> To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.

> >OK, I'll bite... what does FDISK mean?  Surely I don't need to be a DOS
> >expert - QBasic installed and worked beautifully under W98.

> >Thanks again.

> In this case what it meant was to blow away whatever OS came on the
> new machine, and replace it with W98.

> I recently did that for a client, his new laptop came with XP, and he
> got sick of it in a couple weeks, and I replaced it with Win 98.  Only
> problem was finding all the necessary drivers.

> However, if you can order the new portable with WinME installed, you
> can just use that.

> --
> Arargh (at arargh dot com)    http://www.arargh.com
> To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.

Hi Arargh,

Thanks for that information.

Just to be clear, are you saying that QBasic won't function as well under XP
as under W98. I'm just not sure why your client was "sick of it".

At the risk of sounding like a complete non-techie (which is true), what is
*WinME* and would my dealer be reluctant to sell me a portable with it on
board?

Can I assume that under *WinME*, all DOS compilers, such as QBasic and Turbo
Pascal 7 would work well?

Thanks again. Its good to hear from someone who knows what they're talking
about.

David (from Downunder)

(Enteract can keep the spam, they are gone anyway)

Fri, 06 May 2005 16:58:50 GMT
 QBasic and Latest PC Operating Systems

Quote:
>Just to be clear, are you saying that QBasic won't function as well under XP
>as under W98. I'm just not sure why your client was "sick of it".

I don't know about QBasic as I never tried it under XP.  It does work
under NT4 & NT2000, so I presume that it will work under Windows XP.

My client was used to Windows 98, was sick of not being able to find
anything were it used to be on XP.  His laptop was also available with
WinME, so during the conversion to Win98, I used some ME drivers.

Quote:
>At the risk of sounding like a complete non-techie (which is true), what is
>*WinME* and would my dealer be reluctant to sell me a portable with it on
>board?

WinME = Windows ME = Windows Millennium Edition, which is effectivly
Windows 98, third edition, with no ability to boot to DOS. (there are
hacks to get around this.)  The only other problem would be finding a
copy, since MS seems to want everybody to use XP.
Quote:

>Can I assume that under *WinME*, all DOS compilers, such as QBasic and Turbo
>Pascal 7 would work well?

Probably, but I have never tried.  I still use Windows 98, the
original version.  I can't stand the sight of XP, it is just too cute
for words, or anything else.

Quote:

>Thanks again. Its good to hear from someone who knows what they're talking
>about.

I try.

--
Arargh (at arargh dot com)    http://www.arargh.com
To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.
(Enteract can keep the spam, they are gone anyway)

Fri, 06 May 2005 18:02:25 GMT
 QBasic and Latest PC Operating Systems

Quote:
> Probably, but I have never tried.  I still use Windows 98, the
> original version.  I can't stand the sight of XP, it is just too cute
> for words, or anything else.

If it's just the look of XP that's bothering you, you can make XP look just
like Win 9x or ME if you want.  The cutsie, cartoonish look is just one
theme in a list of several.  I don't like the default XP look either.

Tom Lake

Fri, 06 May 2005 18:32:45 GMT
 QBasic and Latest PC Operating Systems

Quote:
> > Probably, but I have never tried.  I still use Windows 98, the
> > original version.  I can't stand the sight of XP, it is just too cute
> > for words, or anything else.

> If it's just the look of XP that's bothering you, you can make XP look
just
> like Win 9x or ME if you want.  The cutsie, cartoonish look is just one
> theme in a list of several.  I don't like the default XP look either.

> Tom Lake

Hi Tom,

Can you assist in my original query about QBasic working under the
newfangled operating systems?

Thanks in advance.

Fri, 06 May 2005 18:44:18 GMT
 QBasic and Latest PC Operating Systems

Quote:

> >Just to be clear, are you saying that QBasic won't function as well under
XP
> >as under W98. I'm just not sure why your client was "sick of it".
> I don't know about QBasic as I never tried it under XP.  It does work
> under NT4 & NT2000, so I presume that it will work under Windows XP.

> My client was used to Windows 98, was sick of not being able to find
> anything were it used to be on XP.  His laptop was also available with
> WinME, so during the conversion to Win98, I used some ME drivers.

> >At the risk of sounding like a complete non-techie (which is true), what
is
> >*WinME* and would my dealer be reluctant to sell me a portable with it on
> >board?
> WinME = Windows ME = Windows Millennium Edition, which is effectivly
> Windows 98, third edition, with no ability to boot to DOS. (there are
> hacks to get around this.)  The only other problem would be finding a
> copy, since MS seems to want everybody to use XP.

> >Can I assume that under *WinME*, all DOS compilers, such as QBasic and
Turbo
> >Pascal 7 would work well?
> Probably, but I have never tried.  I still use Windows 98, the
> original version.  I can't stand the sight of XP, it is just too cute
> for words, or anything else.

> >Thanks again. Its good to hear from someone who knows what they're
talking
> >about.
> I try.

> --
> Arargh (at arargh dot com)    http://www.arargh.com
> To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.

Thanks again Arargh. Good information.

> (Enteract can keep the spam, they are gone anyway)

Fri, 06 May 2005 18:48:08 GMT
 QBasic and Latest PC Operating Systems

Quote:

> >Just to be clear, are you saying that QBasic won't function as well under XP
> >as under W98. I'm just not sure why your client was "sick of it".
> I don't know about QBasic as I never tried it under XP.  It does work
> under NT4 & NT2000, so I presume that it will work under Windows XP.

I can certainly run Quickbasic under NT4, only problem is I would like
to interact with the parallel port, and that won't work.  I think I
used QBasic on this machine before moving my Quickbasic install over
to it.

Quote:
> WinME = Windows ME = Windows Millennium Edition, which is effectivly
> Windows 98, third edition, with no ability to boot to DOS. (there are
> hacks to get around this.)  The only other problem would be finding a
> copy, since MS seems to want everybody to use XP.

ME is certainly available in the UK, buying online, presumably also
elsewhere.  I'm trying it out as we can't get 98 anymore, and XP
doesn't work (*for what we want here).

Chris

* Delete if you want.

Fri, 06 May 2005 22:59:41 GMT
 QBasic and Latest PC Operating Systems
QBasic 1.1,  etc. will run under XP as long as you don't want to access any
of the enviroment and are happy with the display screen type that you are
given.  You can gain access to the external world but you have to explicitly
allow this with the XP system before you start the QBasic program.  This is
true of any DOS program in XP.

--
Bob May
Global WARMING???

Sat, 07 May 2005 02:53:42 GMT
 QBasic and Latest PC Operating Systems
I have used a half dozen "BASICS" over the years, some professionally.

I suggest you not worry about the Windows platform and start using "Liberty
BASIC" a decent and adaptable platform usable on all Windows installations.

If not BASIC... and you require a DOS based application... Turbo PASCAL is
the way to go !

Henry

Quote:
> Hi all,

> I am having to move from W98 on my desktop to an ?? OS on a portable.

> I'm wondering which of the current crop of MS operating systems to
> *definitely* avoid if I want to keep programming in QBasic. I'd love to
stay
> with my stable W98 but new portables come with the OS preinstalled.

> Many thanks

> --
> David

Sat, 07 May 2005 06:21:45 GMT
 QBasic and Latest PC Operating Systems

Quote:
>> Probably, but I have never tried.  I still use Windows 98, the
>> original version.  I can't stand the sight of XP, it is just too cute
>> for words, or anything else.

>If it's just the look of XP that's bothering you, you can make XP look just
>like Win 9x or ME if you want.  The cutsie, cartoonish look is just one
>theme in a list of several.  I don't like the default XP look either.

Not close enough.

And I don't think you can get rid of the cute login (&*^*(&^.

And (in explorer) the world does not start with the desktop, as both
ME & XP seem to think.

And so forth and so on . . .

--
Arargh (at arargh dot com)    http://www.arargh.com
To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.
(Enteract can keep the spam, they are gone anyway)

Sat, 07 May 2005 06:35:58 GMT
 QBasic and Latest PC Operating Systems
On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 16:27:56 -0500, "Paul O. BARTLETT"

Quote:

>> [most omitted for space]

>>                             The only other problem would be finding a
>> copy, since MS seems to want everybody to use XP.

>    Micro$oft seems to be taking the tack that gawdalmighty IBM used
>for many years: upgrade, because we are not going to give you any
>support for older versions, and although we will make some of our
>compilers backwards compatible, we make no guarantees.

I personally have no intention of ever upgrading past Win98.  If that
means I will never be able to use the latest 2000 GHZ(or whatever)
processor, so be it.

Quote:
>    Bill Gate$ has said (if I read correctly) that DOS is dead.  Never
>mind that Visual Basic.NET (or whatever they are calling it) is sheer,
>bloated overkill for simple tasks.  Often times the non-professional
>wants to do a little quick and dirty programming for personal use, and
>in the old days, a Basic came with the operating system.  You can still
>download QBasic for free from M$ if you know where to look, but it
>would not surprise me if in the next incarnation of Windooozy, it will
>not run.  It is probably M$'s monopolistic shenanigans that are driving
>more and more people to Linux.  (Is there a decent Basic that runs
>under Linux?)

I don't know of any command line basic that does, however there is a
GUI basic called XBasic which I think has a Linux Port.

--
Arargh (at arargh dot com)    http://www.arargh.com
To reply by email, change the domain name, and remove the garbage.
(Enteract can keep the spam, they are gone anyway)

Sat, 07 May 2005 06:41:59 GMT
 QBasic and Latest PC Operating Systems

Quote:
> > Probably, but I have never tried.  I still use Windows 98, the
> > original version.  I can't stand the sight of XP, it is just too cute
> > for words, or anything else.

> If it's just the look of XP that's bothering you, you can make XP look
just
> like Win 9x or ME if you want.  The cutsie, cartoonish look is just one
> theme in a list of several.  I don't like the default XP look either.

> Tom Lake

    My wife had the same problem with WinXP Home edition on her new HP
machine, so I simply told her XP to switch to the 'classical' Win9x display
option. Now she can find everything right where it was under Win9x. I've
gotten used to the 'new' look in WinXP Pro, however, and have found it to be
far more powerful & sophisticated than any previous WinDoze version.
    BTW, QBasic from earlier versions of WinDoze will work quite well under
WinXP simply by changing the Properties of the icon so that it runs in an
emulation of Win9x/WinMe/Win2K.

Wes...

Tue, 10 May 2005 07:19:50 GMT

 [ 35 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3]

 Relevant Pages

1. Determine Operating System

2. Please Help: Operating System Shutting Access Down?

3. Operating System Shutting Down?

4. MDE Problems under different operating systems

5. Obtaining Info from Operating System

6. VB.Net Taking over Operating System

7. Act as part of the operating system

8. Getting operating system font size..

9. Operating system

10. Get Operating System Directory

11. Microsoft Windows is a CIA operating system ?

12. Microsoft Windows is a CIA operating system ?