Invalid file format error
Author Message
 Invalid file format error

I have to maintain some very old QBasic software, written for
QBasic4.5, which uses a library for IO functions. I need to use a
later compiler (QB7.1 or QBX) to avoid Out of String Space errors when
I add new code. But the library won't work, I get an invalid format
error. I have the .lib and the .qlb files. Can I use this old library
with other compilers? How do I convert it?

Thanks for any help,

Jackie

Sat, 03 Apr 2004 23:22:31 GMT
 Invalid file format error
You might not be able to use the QLB file with QBX unless you have the
original code that made up the LIB file.  QBX uses far strings and I think
QB 4.5 uses near strings only.  I may be wrong on this and hopefully
someone else will know for sure.

You could try to relink the LIB file to make a new QLB file.  First backup
the QLB file in case it doesn't work.  Then enter the command:

LINK mylib.lib /q

press enter until it asks for Libraries then enter:

QBXQLB

press enter on the rest of the prompts.

Hopefully it will create a QLB file that you can use with QBX.  If not,
you should still be able to compile with the old LIB file.  Just compile
the programs from the BC command line.  It will use near strings by
default.  You would just not be able to run the code from within QBX.

HTH,
Brad Kunkel

Quote:

> I have to maintain some very old QBasic software, written for
> QBasic4.5, which uses a library for IO functions. I need to use a
> later compiler (QB7.1 or QBX) to avoid Out of String Space errors when
> I add new code. But the library won't work, I get an invalid format
> error. I have the .lib and the .qlb files. Can I use this old library
> with other compilers? How do I convert it?

> Thanks for any help,

> Jackie

Sun, 04 Apr 2004 04:46:56 GMT
 Invalid file format error

Quote:
>I have to maintain some very old QBasic software, written for
>QBasic4.5, which uses a library for IO functions. I need to use a
>later compiler (QB7.1 or QBX) to avoid Out of String Space errors when
>I add new code. But the library won't work, I get an invalid format
>error. I have the .lib and the .qlb files. Can I use this old library
>with other compilers? How do I convert it?

That gets somewhat tricky.

QuickBASIC 4.5 uses NEAR strings everywhere, .LIB, and .QLB.

QuickBASIC 7.1 (PDS) uses FAR strings for .QLB's, but the .LIBs can be
either.  If your IO function .LIB file uses NO strings of any sort,
you should be able to create a PDS QLB file that should work.  Maybe.

If you want, email me the LIB and I will take a look and see what.

--
Arargh (at enteract dot com)    http://www.arargh.com

Sun, 04 Apr 2004 05:32:31 GMT

1. Invalid File Format error in DB which uses DAO with Access file

2. Invalid File Format error in DB which uses DAO with Access file

3. Invalid file format error

4. Invalid file format error help please

5. Help please with invalid file format error

6. ******** !!!!!! Graph - Invalid File Format Error !!!!

7. ******** !!!!!! Graph - Invalid File Format Error !!!!

8. Invalid File Format Error

9. Data Viewer - Invalid File Format error

10. Invalid File Format Error VB4

11. Error 321, Invalid File Format (vb4, 16 bit)

12. Error "321" -- Invalid File Format