FANZINE
Author Message
 FANZINE

Hi, there
My name 's Maurizio, and i'm try to find out , why when i code in QBASIC { the one that comes with DOS 6.2 } i get no sound at all,
I do have a sound card [Yamaha ,OPL3-Sax ] and everything is working 100%,let say in windows 95.
This is  a code i found on the FANZINE and with this one i manage to get some sort of sound,but i mean there must be something i'm missing, because i should get better than that.
Before to get some sound any way i inserted a waw.file on the TADA.waw, other ways you hear nothing.THIS is the code

TYPE wave
byte AS STRING * 1
END TYPE
DIM SHARED w AS wave
' START OF RESET SECTION
OUT &H226, 1: OUT &H226, 0
DO
x% = INP(&H22E)
IF x% AND 128 THEN
        x% = INP(&H22A)
        IF x% = &HAA THEN
                PRINT "reset!"
                EXIT DO
        END IF
END IF
LOOP
' END OF RESET SECTION
' TURN SPEAKER ON
DO
x% = INP(&H22C)
LOOP WHILE x% AND 128
OUT &H22C, &HD1                                ' send speaker on code
OPEN "c:\windows\tada.wav" FOR BINARY AS #1
bpos% = 1
DO
OUT &H22C, &H10                                ' send
GET #1, bpos%, w.byte
bpos% = bpos% + 6                               ' make digit higher for speed
f% = ASC(w.byte)
OUT &H22C, f%                                  ' send no.
LOOP UNTIL EOF(1)
CLOSE #1

WHAT i would like to know, is there something i can do to get things right.
When i do the com. PLAY  or BEEP it doesn't work, any help out there.
How do i know what version i'm running, it's the one that comes with DOS 6.2.
Thanks for your time , and any help it'll be most appreciate
--
Regards!

Mon, 20 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FANZINE

Thu, 04 Jun 1998 17:16:07 GMT - Countdown commences in alt.lang.basic. Luca Loy
launched the following into space:

Quote:
> My name 's Maurizio, and i'm try to find out , why when i code in QBASIC =
> { the one that comes with DOS 6.2 } i get no sound at all,=20
> I do have a sound card [Yamaha ,OPL3-Sax ] and everything is working =
> 100%,let say in windows 95.
> This is  a code i found on the FANZINE and with this one i manage to get =
> some sort of sound,but i mean there must be something i'm missing, =
> because i should get better than that.
> Before to get some sound any way i inserted a waw.file on the TADA.waw, =
> other ways you hear nothing.THIS is the code
<snip>
> WHAT i would like to know, is there something i can do to get things =
> right.
> When i do the com. PLAY  or BEEP it doesn't work, any help out there.

Well, I can hardly understand anything you're saying but I presume you're
wondering why the PLAY and BEEP commands don't work whereas the WAV playing
routine does, through your soundcard? The answer is because PLAY and BEEP do
*not* use the soundcard - they use the PC speaker. If they don't produce a sound
then your speaker (on your motherboard AFAIK) is not wired in properly.

Quote:
> How do i know what version i'm running, it's the one that comes with DOS =
> 6.2.

QBasic 1.0 - there's only one version.

If I've misunderstood what you were asking, ask the question more clearly.

-EE

You see my name in lights everywhere...

to the email address above)

Wed, 22 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FANZINE

EE> QBasic 1.0 - there's only one version.

Actually when I click on "About" I get ver 1.1 (Dos 6.0). No biggee,
but..

.                          La Grande, Oregon
*SignIt 2.x #001*
---
 t SPEED 200 #2289 t I don't want to be literate, I just want to program!

This message was processed by Software Valley Information System

Wed, 22 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FANZINE

Quote:

>> How do i know what version i'm running, it's the one that comes with DOS =
>> 6.2.

>QBasic 1.0 - there's only one version.

There are two, actually.
If I recall correctly, QBasic 1.1 was shipped with DOS 6.2 and above.

There are very few differences between these two, though. In fact, I have
no idea what the difference between these two versions should be. :->
--
Marc van den Dikkenberg
-----------------------

Thu, 23 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FANZINE

Hi Luca:
It seems to me that the routine below is Sb specific, so whether or not your
sound card works in W'95 has no bearing on the situation. You must have
SoundBlaster capability in DOS or in a DOS window. I'm not fully familiar
with the Yamaha card, but Sb emulation must be in hardware and 100%
compatable. Play and Beep output to your PC speaker. If they don't work then
it's likely you don't have a PC speaker installed. This is unfortunately
common on todays systems with most people not requiring the PC speaker. I
have a Sb 64 Value card in my system. It has a port on it to allow me to
connect what should go to a PC speaker directly into the sound card.
Hope this helps
HK

[...]

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FANZINE

Sun, 07 Jun 1998 07:27:37 GMT - Countdown commences in alt.lang.basic. Marc van
den Dikkenberg launched the following into space:

Quote:

> >> How do i know what version i'm running, it's the one that comes with DOS =
> >> 6.2.

> >QBasic 1.0 - there's only one version.

> There are two, actually.
> If I recall correctly, QBasic 1.1 was shipped with DOS 6.2 and above.

Oh yeah - woops.

Quote:
> There are very few differences between these two, though. In fact, I have
> no idea what the difference between these two versions should be. :->

I think they're just about the same really. I have both (I have an old 386 with
DOS 5 decomposing quietly somewhere) and the versions of QBasic seem to me to be
identical. Maybe it was a cunning ploy by MS to get QBasic users to upgrade to
DOS 6.

-EE

You see my name in lights everywhere...

to the email address above)

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FANZINE

The BEEP command has never worked in my 200mhz Pentium in either QBasic or
VB4. It only makes a clicking noise. I know the speaker works fine because
it beeps annoyingly loud on bootup. I suspect the trouble is a newer faster
computer running older DOS software designed for a slower time.

The newer version of QBasic 1.1 is a smaller file but as far as I can tell
does the same as 1.0. The smaller footprint is helpful on my old 640k
machines.

Hi, there
My name 's Maurizio, and i'm try to find out , why when i code in QBASIC
 the one that comes with DOS 6.2 } i get no sound at all,

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FANZINE

Quote:

>The BEEP command has never worked in my 200mhz Pentium in either QBasic or
>VB4. It only makes a clicking noise. I know the speaker works fine because
>it beeps annoyingly loud on bootup. I suspect the trouble is a newer faster
>computer running older DOS software designed for a slower time.

>The newer version of QBasic 1.1 is a smaller file but as far as I can tell
>does the same as 1.0. The smaller footprint is helpful on my old 640k
>machines.

>Hi, there
>My name 's Maurizio, and i'm try to find out , why when i code in QBASIC
> the one that comes with DOS 6.2 } i get no sound at all,

I just tried:

FOR N= 1 TO 10
    BEEP
NEXT N

EXIT

Anyway, I got 10 beeps from my PC speaker.
I ran QB45, on a K6-233 system.

Ska

Sun, 26 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FANZINE

the world would be interested in hearing:

> If I recall correctly, QBasic 1.1 was shipped with DOS 6.2 and above.
Maybe it was a cunning ploy by MS to get QBasic users to upgrade to DOS 6.

Do I smell a class-action lawsuit awaiting?

Tue, 28 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FANZINE

It was Fri, 12 Jun 1998 13:11:49 GMT, and in front of the crowd at
alt.lang.basic, m allen adams jr staggered up to the Chief Commander and spilt
the following into his trousers:

Quote:

> the world would be interested in hearing:

> > If I recall correctly, QBasic 1.1 was shipped with DOS 6.2 and above.
> Maybe it was a cunning ploy by MS to get QBasic users to upgrade to DOS 6.

> Do I smell a class-action lawsuit awaiting?

A what??

-EE

You see my name in lights everywhere...

to the email address above)

Tue, 28 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FANZINE

the world would be interested in hearing:

It was Fri, 12 Jun 1998 13:11:49 GMT, and in front of the crowd at
alt.lang.basic, m allen adams jr staggered up to the Chief Commander and spilt
the following into his trousers:

> > If I recall correctly, QBasic 1.1 was shipped with DOS 6.2 and above.
> Maybe it was a cunning ploy by MS to get QBasic users to upgrade to DOS 6.
> Do I smell a class-action lawsuit awaiting?
A what??

Class-Action Lawsuit:  A suit brought on by a group of plaintiffs against a
common defendant, all for the same charge, like the current suit against the big
"M" (Microsoft, not McDonald's) for antitrust violations.  There are like 26
states all suing them, though I personally see nothing wrongselling your
software with your software used to be called a "suite", now it's a monopoly?

        ----mark O-

Wed, 29 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FANZINE

Quote:
> > > If I recall correctly, QBasic 1.1 was shipped with DOS 6.2 and
above.
> > Maybe it was a cunning ploy by MS to get QBasic users to upgrade to
DOS 6.
> > Do I smell a class-action lawsuit awaiting?
> A what??

Oh, contare;  If I recall it came with DOS 5.0 and above.  I should know
because DOS 5.0 was on my 1st computer and there was a file called
C:\DOS\QB.EXE.  If that's not enough proof then it states that in "Qbasic
Programming for Dummies".

Jeff

Wed, 29 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FANZINE

Quote:

>The BEEP command has never worked in my 200mhz Pentium in either QBasic or
>VB4. It only makes a clicking noise. I know the speaker works fine because
>it beeps annoyingly loud on bootup. I suspect the trouble is a newer faster
>computer running older DOS software designed for a slower time.

>The newer version of QBasic 1.1 is a smaller file but as far as I can tell
>does the same as 1.0. The smaller footprint is helpful on my old 640k
>machines.

I used to run Windows 95, and the BEEP command worked just fine there
but now i'm using Windows 98 (full), and it seems like Windows klinda takes
a little more control over DOS sessions under Windows than Win95 did, cause
when i do the BEEP command, Windows playes the 'Default sound' that's been
set in the Control Panel/Sounds, instead of BEEPing through my PC speaker..

But both SOUND & PLAY works through the PC speaker...

It's wierd...

- Thomas Daugaard
    ICQ # 4033867

Quote:

>Hi, there
>My name 's Maurizio, and i'm try to find out , why when i code in QBASIC
> the one that comes with DOS 6.2 } i get no sound at all,

Thu, 30 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FANZINE

|> Class-Action Lawsuit:  A suit brought on by a group of plaintiffs against a
|> common defendant, all for the same charge, like the current suit against the big
|> "M" (Microsoft, not McDonald's) for antitrust violations.  There are like 26
|> states all suing them, though I personally see nothing wrongselling your
|> software with your software used to be called a "suite", now it's a monopoly?

Although I am slipping into off-topic territory, I'd like to point out
that the most common misunderstanding about the pending anti-trust
action against Microsoft (due to sloppy reporting in the media) is that
the US Justice Dept. is moving against Microsoft because they bundled
a web browser with their operating system. That is not true.

The case against MS is based on allegations that MS used their monopoly position
in Win95, to coerce their customers into NOT shipping systems with Netscape
pre-installed. In other words, MS coerced their customers into punitive contracts,
based on threats of not being able to get access to Win95 if they didn't sign.
That is abusive monopoly power. If proved true, MS should be whacked VERY hard.

--
Brian McLaughlin, Technical Writer  |"Thanks to the Internet, misinformation
Integrated Measurement Systems, Inc.| now travels faster than ever before!"

Fri, 01 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. **BASIX Fanzine soon**

2. The Basix Fanzine - Some points

3. The Basic Fanzine is now a web page!!!!!

4. -=O=- Basix Fanzine 5 -=O=-

5. Fanzine 5, 6 and all that..

6. __ Fanzine 5.. its finally here __

7. Long time no see and la fanzine..