A QBasic Compatible Compiler
Author Message
 A QBasic Compatible Compiler

An Inexpensive QBasic Compatible Compiler!

powerbasic 2.1 should compile your QBasic
programs with very little modification.

This is the only inexpensive QBasic compatible
compiler that I know of. Please forgive the
blatant advertising aspect of this post,
but it answers the question:
"Where can I get an inexpensive QBasic compiler?"

----------------------------
PowerBASIC 2.1 [least expensive]
----------------------------

$24.95 + $1.95 S&H ($5.00 S&H Intl)

from:

DOS World
P.O. Box 672
Mt. Morris, IL 61054

Order #PBLB w/ 3.5" disk

1-800-349-7327 Order
1-815-734-1246 FAX

Includes:
PowerBASIC 2.1 compiler
Help System
Integrated Development Environment
12 Free Programs to get you started
"Learning Basic" 600 pp book by Don Inman

----------------------------
PowerBASIC 2.1 [next expensive]
----------------------------

$19.99 + $7.00 S&H from:

Surplus Direct
PO Box 2000
Hood River, Oregon 97031

Order #SPGD30004

1-800-753-7877 Order
1-800-753-1773 Customer Service
541-387-6000   International
541-386-4227   FAX

Includes:
PowerBASIC 2.1 compiler
"Learning Basic" 600 pp book by Don Inman

----------------------------
PowerBASIC 2.1 [most expensive]
----------------------------

$29.95 + $6.00 S&H ($28.00 S&H Intl)

from:

PowerBASIC, Inc.
316 Mid Valley Center
Carmel, CA  93923

1-800-780-7707 Order
1-408-659-8008 FAX

Includes:
PowerBASIC 2.1 compiler
"Learning Basic" 600 pp book by Don Inman

----------------------------
PBASIC 1.0
----------------------------
There has been some talk about a shareware
PBasic compiler. Essentially, this compiler
is exactly the same as the above mentioned
PowerBASIC 2.1 compiler, without the book,
"Learning BASIC" by Don Inman. The Beta
version of PBasic was available as shareware
for a *short* while, then was withdrawn
due to a couple of major bugs. Complaints
included "no mouse support in the IDE" and
"the IDE interface was terrible" as well as,
"I had to do major re-writes for it to compile
my QBasic code", and "the error messages were
extremely cryptic". Most of these complaints
came from hobbyist programmers... probably
the ones who would be looking for a QBasic
compatible compiler.

-----------------------------
Kenneth W. Melvin
(registered licensee of PowerBASIC 3.1c)

Sat, 23 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A QBasic Compatible Compiler

Quote:

> An Inexpensive QBasic Compatible Compiler!

> PowerBASIC 2.1 should compile your QBasic
> programs with very little modification.

> This is the only inexpensive QBasic compatible
> compiler that I know of. Please forgive the
> blatant advertising aspect of this post,
> but it answers the question:
> "Where can I get an inexpensive QBasic compiler?"

Also try Microsoft QuickBasic 4.5.  It's exactly the same as QBasic, but
it has compiler features, and more extensive help.

Charles Clancy

Sun, 24 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A QBasic Compatible Compiler

In article

Quote:

>Also try Microsoft QuickBasic 4.5.  It's exactly the same as
QBasic, but
>it has compiler features, and more extensive help.

>Charles Clancy

The problem with your suggestion Charles is that the Microsoft
compiler QuickBASIC 4.5 is no longer readily available, nor is
it being actively supported or developed by Microsoft. Actually,
QuickBASIC 4.5 is 100% compatible with QBasic 1.x, and would
therefore be the best choice... IF it were available. My
programmer's catalogs no longer list QuickBASIC 4.5... although
BASIC PDS 7.1 (which includes QuickBASIC) and Visual Basic for
DOS 1.0 (Standard & Professional Editions) are still available,
though at a considerably higher price than PowerBASIC 2.1.

Mon, 25 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A QBasic Compatible Compiler

Quote:

>In article

>>Also try Microsoft QuickBasic 4.5.  It's exactly the same as
>QBasic, but
>>it has compiler features, and more extensive help.

>>Charles Clancy

>The problem with your suggestion Charles is that the Microsoft
>compiler QuickBASIC 4.5 is no longer readily available, nor is
>it being actively supported or developed by Microsoft. Actually,

 Readily available? You know I would have sworn I saw it at a software
 warehouse who sells their stuff through the internet, I can;t imagine it
 being any more readily available thatn that, myself.

Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A QBasic Compatible Compiler

G'Day All

Quote:

>Subject: Re: A QBasic Compatible Compiler
>Date: 9 Aug 1996 02:39:44 GMT

>>In article

[snip]
>>>Also try Microsoft QuickBasic 4.5.  It's exactly the same as
[snip]
>>The problem with your suggestion Charles is that the Microsoft
>>compiler QuickBASIC 4.5 is no longer readily available, nor is
>>it being actively supported or developed by Microsoft. Actually,
> Readily available? You know I would have sworn I saw it at a software
> warehouse who sells their stuff through the internet, I can;t imagine it
> being any more readily available thatn that, myself.

Yep
http://www.software.net/prod.htm
and do a search on BASIC

US $47.12 plus 3.50 shipping for the academic version (students, teachers
etc.) with manual.
US $127 plus shipping for the normal version.
and yes, they do post overseas (for US $34 postage)

(already posted but bears reposting, especially as I was told today by M$
market droids that BASIC PDS 7.1 is no longer available anywhere. It is also at
this site)
Cheers! Ian

Ian Musgrave Ph.D, Prince Henry's Institute of Medical Research
PO Box 5152, Clayton 3168, Australia.
Phone +61 3 550 4286 FAX +61 3 550 6125

Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A QBasic Compatible Compiler

Quote:
> Readily available? You know I would have sworn I saw it at a
software
> warehouse who sells their stuff through the internet, I can;t
imagine it
> being any more readily available thatn that, myself.

_I_ call "readily" available being on a shelf, shrink-wrapped,
at my local software store... walk in, put hands-on box, plunk
down cash and walk out with it under my arm...

The last time I asked about QuickBASIC 4.5 at the local software
stores in _my_ area, I was told that it was not longer being
carried by their distributors, and therefore was not available.

If QuickBASIC 4.5 is indeed available from the Internet software
house you describe, it probably requires a credit card number
to order it... as not everyone HAS a credit card, I would not
call that source _readily_ available....

Any further thoughts?

Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A QBasic Compatible Compiler

Quote:
>G'Day All

>>Subject: Re: A QBasic Compatible Compiler
>>Date: 9 Aug 1996 02:39:44 GMT

>>>In article

>[snip]
>[snip]
>>>The problem with your suggestion Charles is that the Microsoft
>>>compiler QuickBASIC 4.5 is no longer readily available, nor is
>>>it being actively supported or developed by Microsoft. Actually,

>> Readily available? You know I would have sworn I saw it at a
software
>> warehouse who sells their stuff through the internet, I can;t
imagine it
>> being any more readily available thatn that, myself.

>Yep
>http://www.software.net/prod.htm
>and do a search on BASIC

>US $47.12 plus 3.50 shipping for the academic version (students,
teachers
>etc.) with manual.
>US $127 plus shipping for the normal version.
>and yes, they do post overseas (for US $34 postage)

>(already posted but bears reposting, especially as I was told today
by M$
>market droids that BASIC PDS 7.1 is no longer available anywhere.
It is also at
>this site)
>Cheers! Ian

Thanks for the added information mate! Now everyone knows
where they can *readily* grab a copy of QuickBasic 4.5 in
the morning, and be coding by the afternoon, eh? <grin>

Maybe order it by credit card one morning, and be coding
with it three days later at the soonest, maybe three weeks
later for those blokes who have to wait for it to be
shipped overseas (and paid $161 for it to boot).

I stick by my statement that it is no longer *readily*
available....

Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A QBasic Compatible Compiler

power basic is not really comptible with qb.
a grphics program that uses point(1)+/- x
has 2 different semantics in qb and pb.

and if it runs on qb would not necessarily run on pb

is there a converter ?

: > An Inexpensive QBasic Compatible Compiler!
: >

--

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
3al aab, seders moderator                                      sed u soon 3

Mon, 08 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A QBasic Compatible Compiler

Quote:

>power basic is not really comptible with qb.
>a grphics program that uses point(1)+/- x
>has 2 different semantics in qb and pb.

I see alot of post's claiming that PB is not very compatible with
QB/PDS, but I have found the incompatibilities VERY minor. I have been
using QB4x/PDS7x for years, as well as using PowerBASIC since the v2.x
days. (1990 I think...)

I have found it VERY compatible - I would say 90% or so.

I would have to defend it strongly, because you can do things in PB
that QB4x/PDS7x either cannot do directly, or cannot do inherently at
all. Some examples of the things *I* like about PB3x:

- DATA TYPES - You can have UNSIGNED data types such as BYTE, WORD,
DOUBLE WORD, etc. COME in handy if you want a fast loop (for example)
like this:

FOR i?? = 1 TO 64000
  'do stuff - IE: fill mode 13h video memory
NEXT i??

- Inherent TSR creation - want a pop up file reader or ASCII chart or
make a Nortons guide clone easily? PB's GREAT for this stuff.

- SORTING - Inherent SORT commands - VERY nice.

- Built in assembler - I LOVE this feature. Wanna add some optimized
routiens? Just use the inherent assembler.

- Built in CALL INTERRUPT - Not comfy with A/L? Just sue the inherent
call interrupt and register features. QB/PDS requires an external
(included) library.

- More commands - Tired of problems with NULL's bombing your
ASC(String$) attempts? Just use ASCII(String$).

Built in DIR$ (PDS7x has this BTW), more string handling commands
(TALLY, REPLACE, etc.), better inherent OPEN COM support (115kbaud,
COM1-4 easily), built in multple featured PEEK and POKE - IE: you can
use a byte. word, double word or whole string for PEEK and POKE,
inherent reserved variables for determing the video card, CPU, etc.

I noticed alot of folks lately knocking PB3x, but I really like it
along with QB4x/PDS7x. I think it should be a part of ANY strong BASIC
programmers tools, and they STILL support it strongly.

Ep

Quote:
>and if it runs on qb would not necessarily run on pb
>is there a converter ?

I believe there IS a converter that does decently that;s available on
the PowerBASIC site and/or their BBS.

Ed Parry - Southern California, USA

Mon, 08 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A QBasic Compatible Compiler

[...snipped...]

Quote:
>I noticed alot of folks lately knocking PB3x, but I really like it
>along with QB4x/PDS7x. I think it should be a part of ANY strong BASIC
>programmers tools, and they STILL support it strongly.

Ed, I'm with ya on this one.  When I first got PB, I was using QB4.5 and
PDQ from Crescent. I didn't really care for the way that the PB IDE didn't
"organize" and hand hold my code (seperating into subs, functions, etc)
After a couple of months, I took QB4.5 and PDQ off my machine, and
haven't regretted it at all...I think it was early '93.

JE McTaggart

Thu, 11 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A QBasic Compatible Compiler

[...snipped...]

Quote:
>I noticed alot of folks lately knocking PB3x, but I really like it
>along with QB4x/PDS7x. I think it should be a part of ANY strong BASIC
>programmers tools, and they STILL support it strongly.

Ed, I'm with ya on this one.  When I first got PB, I was using QB4.5 and
PDQ from Crescent. I didn't really care for the way that the PB IDE didn't
"organize" and hand hold my code (seperating into subs, functions, etc)
After a couple of months, I took QB4.5 and PDQ off my machine, and
haven't regretted it at all...I think it was early '93.

JE McTaggart

Thu, 11 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A QBasic Compatible Compiler

Quote:

>[...snipped...]
>>I noticed alot of folks lately knocking PB3x, but I really like it
>>along with QB4x/PDS7x. I think it should be a part of ANY strong BASIC
>>programmers tools, and they STILL support it strongly.
>Ed, I'm with ya on this one.  When I first got PB, I was using QB4.5 and
>PDQ from Crescent. I didn't really care for the way that the PB IDE didn't
>"organize" and hand hold my code (seperating into subs, functions, etc)
>After a couple of months, I took QB4.5 and PDQ off my machine, and
>haven't regretted it at all...I think it was early '93.
>JE McTaggart

Hi JEM!

1) PB32 is a great BASIC compiler (and then some). A few things they
could have added would have put ALL the QB4x/QBASIC qualms to bay I
think:

HiRes PCOPY command - There IS a clone routine on their BBS that works
well though.

Mode 13h - Qb4x offers this, and I think it would have been a BIG boon
to offer inherent PB commands for this mdoe. IE: ALOT of game's are
STILL written in this mode.

Again, there are a couple of libs that offer this (as well as XMODE),
but inherent ability would have been nice.

That;s about it - Ep

Ed Parry - Southern California, USA

Sat, 13 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A QBasic Compatible Compiler

Quote:

>Mode 13h - Qb4x offers this, and I think it would have been a BIG boon
>to offer inherent PB commands for this mdoe. IE: ALOT of game's are
>STILL written in this mode.

It is rumoured that PB 4.0 will include Mode 13h...

Marc van den Dikkenberg
-----------------------------o---------------------
http://145.89.78.151/~excel  | Programming Archives
http://www.xs4all.nl/~excel  | antU, Humour, Sci-Fi

Mon, 15 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A QBasic Compatible Compiler

Quote:

>>Mode 13h - Qb4x offers this, and I think it would have been a BIG boon
>>to offer inherent PB commands for this mdoe. IE: ALOT of game's are
>>STILL written in this mode.
>It is rumoured that PB 4.0 will include Mode 13h...

Actually, I'd rather they added some OOP ability.  To me, adding a DOS
video mode as a standard instruction is kind of redundant when you can
get it via inline coding, or an add on.

JE McTaggart

Thu, 18 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. An Inexpensive QBasic Compatible Compiler

2. QBASIC compatible compilers

3. A QBasic Compatible Compiler !!!

4. ~A QBasic Compatible Compiler~

5. 100% COMPATIBLE QUICKBASIC COMPILER

6. Looking for a MS compatible compiler

7. Word97 RTF files not compatible with help compiler?

8. Help Compiler and Word 6.0: Are they compatible?!

9. Word97 RTF files not compatible with help compiler?

10. Word97 RTF files not compatible with help compiler?

11. Need help accessing A Sound Blaster compatible from Qbasic

12. QBasic Compiler