Should I use pallete in screen 13 or can I use 12
Author Message
 Should I use pallete in screen 13 or can I use 12

I have been working on a game and I have been using SCREEN 12 because
I like the sharp graphics. The problem I am having is I want cool colors
but I can't get all of them with screen 12.

I have learned that screen 13 has 320 X 200 res. (Not bad), but it
has 256 colors AND 256 attributes (I could use colors by saying EXACTLY
what color I wanted.)

Screen 12 has 640 X 480 resolution (Or something like that) which is
REALLY smooth and has 256 colors! The problem is it only has 16 attributes
This means I have to use the PALETTE statement to get what color I want(or
the OUT &H3C8 statement)!

When I do this though, It messes up the colors I already had when I drew
them before!!!

Is there a way I can Keep all of the colors I use AND have screen 12?
Or should I compromise my resoulution with screen 13 and have easier
times working with my colors?

                                        Thanx.

Fri, 07 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Should I use pallete in screen 13 or can I use 12

Quote:

> I have been working on a game and I have been using SCREEN 12 because
> I like the sharp graphics. The problem I am having is I want cool colors
> but I can't get all of them with screen 12.

In Screen 12, you are allowed 16 colors from a palette of 256 possible
colors.

Quote:
> I have learned that screen 13 has 320 X 200 res. (Not bad), but it
> has 256 colors AND 256 attributes

In Screen 13, you are allowed 256 colors from a palette of 65,000

Quote:
> Screen 12 has 640 X 480 resolution (Or something like that) which is
> REALLY smooth and has 256 colors! The problem is it only has 16
attributes
> This means I have to use the PALETTE statement to get what color I
want(or
> the OUT &H3C8 statement)!

well, "REALLY SMOOTH" must refer to the graphics, not the speed of your
animation!

Quote:
> When I do this though, It messes up the colors I already had when I drew
> them before!!!
> Is there a way I can Keep all of the colors I use AND have screen 12?

 It depends on what you mean by "all of your colors" .. how many is that ?

Also, part of your graphics problem is this: Screen 12 uses 4 BIT PLANES...
there is so much data stored in that mode that it had to be diced up into
4 separate areas (Red,Blue,Green, and Intensity). You have to access all 4
of these
to get your colors right.

Screen 13 does not have bit planes (but Screen 9 does). That is why you can
POKE
a byte right into Video mem in screen 13.

Cool looking games that are too choppy do not get played. I would stick
with Screen
13 if using srtraight QB. If I was going to use a LIB, then I would still
stick with MODEX,
(320*240*256, with video pages) instead of Screen 12...

Quote:
> Or should I compromise my resoulution with screen 13 and have easier
> times working with my colors?

>                                    Thanx.

Fri, 07 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Address for Screen 11,12,13?

2. Palette in QB45 Screen Mode 12 & 13

3. faster PSET for SCREEN 12 / memory layout of SCREEN 12

4. GETTING Screen 12 and saving using BSAVE

5. Screen 12 with Palette Using

6. Windows CE .NET Online Chat - July 26th 12:00-13:00 PST (20:00 BST, 19:00 GMT)

7. Need help with page flipping using SCREEN 13

8. save/load SCREEN 12 screens in QBasic?

9. QBasic: putting total screen on disk when SCREEN-mode=13

10. Using CurrentDB() receives Type Mismatch Error 13

11. Squares using vbCrLf or Chr(13)

12. Using DCOM - Getting Error 13