*PBASIC* PBASIC 1.0 Now in BETA!
Author Message
 *PBASIC* PBASIC 1.0 Now in BETA!

Hello Everyone!

powerbasic has just released PBASIC 1.0 as BETA:

ftp://ftp.powerbasic.com/pub/beta/pbasic10.zip

Perhaps it will be on their website too within a week.

--

Syntax Error Home Page (under repairs)
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~unol

Thu, 14 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 *PBASIC* PBASIC 1.0 Now in BETA!

Quote:
>Hello Everyone!

>PowerBASIC has just released PBASIC 1.0 as BETA:

>ftp://ftp.powerbasic.com/pub/beta/pbasic10.zip

>Perhaps it will be on their website too within a week.

I just downloaded this - some immediate thoughts:

Is that editor anything like the one you get with the full version of
Power Basic? Tell me it's not. Sorry to be harsh, but it's ... well,
it's just awful IMO.

I *must* have simply not been able to find what the editing keys are -
like highlighting a block, deleting a line, copy & paste, etc.

I could only get one QBASIC program to run (a 10-line text mode
program). Everything else (like a 10-line graphic-mode program, and a
50-line text mode program, and *anything* that had a SUB or FUNCTION in
it) just gave an error without being able to explain what the error was
or give an example of how it should be done.

Sorry, I can't get away from that editor. Yellow-on-blue with
yellow-on-red boxes that pop up and make you press Esc all the time.
It's so 1986, it was like going through a time warp.

The help system doesn't give any examples of how anything *should* be
done. I realise it's not meant to be a QBASIC clone, but when PB doesn't
run my program that starts off with:

DECLARE FUNCTION move! (a!, dice!)

And says there's a parameter error (runs fine under QBASIC), there's
nowhere that says how it should be done - no manual, no examples, no
"differences between QBASIC and PB" text. I know you get a manual when
you register, but what to do in the meantime - just accept that you
can't write or run anything unless you go through trial and error?

Sorry to be negative, PB folks, but I can't see myself being able to
make much use of the shareware version without some documentation and
editing functions.

--
                   _        -- updated -- updated -- updated --
James Eibisch    ('v')     N : E : T : A : D : E : L : I : C : A

Thu, 14 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 *PBASIC* PBASIC 1.0 Now in BETA!

Quote:

>Is that editor anything like the one you get with the full version of
>Power Basic? Tell me it's not. Sorry to be harsh, but it's ... well,
>it's just awful IMO.

>I *must* have simply not been able to find what the editing keys are -
>like highlighting a block, deleting a line, copy & paste, etc.

You're right - in fact, the entire EDIT menu appears to be missing,
I guess... Luckely, the PB IDE is a lot easier to use than this one...

Marc van den Dikkenberg
-----------------------------o---------------------
http://145.89.78.151/~excel  | Programming Archives
http://www.xs4all.nl/~excel  | antU, Humour, Sci-Fi

Fri, 15 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 *PBASIC* PBASIC 1.0 Now in BETA!

Quote:
>>Is that editor anything like the one you get with the full version of
>>Power Basic? Tell me it's not. Sorry to be harsh, but it's ... well,
>>it's just awful IMO.

>>I *must* have simply not been able to find what the editing keys are -
>>like highlighting a block, deleting a line, copy & paste, etc.

>You're right - in fact, the entire EDIT menu appears to be missing,
>I guess... Luckely, the PB IDE is a lot easier to use than this one...

I'm going to have to go and see what all the fuss is about, it can't be
that bad, we are talking PowerBasic here.

Cheers

   _/   /  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  _/_/_/   Friends: Kari Patterson, Amy Kramer, Crystal B, Anna
 _/                 Colleen, Jamie, Rob D, Wildcard, Arnoud
_/              http://www.trenham.demon.co.uk/

Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. No Screen 13 in PBasic?

2. PBasic, new user

3. PBASIC Compiler

4. Leaning Pbasic

5. Opening a Qbaisc program in Pbasic

6. Announce: GBasic BETA 1.0

7. Insert VS.NET Beta 1 on ASP.NET Beta 2

8. TabStripPanel Control Beta Released - Beta Testers Wanted!

9. Beta 1 to Beta 2

10. Beta 1 vs Beta 2

11. Introducing Visual Studio for Applications Beta 2 and Script for the .NET Framework Beta 2

12. BETA RELEASE: VB Power Tools Final Beta Release Notice