Advice please on data storage 
Author Message
 Advice please on data storage

Neil,

Here are some questions:

Are you using a professional version of BASIC that supports ISAM databases?

Do you want to be able to transfer your data to a spreadsheet or other
program?

Is disk storage a concern?

Have you considered using Microsoft Access?

Now some information:

Most database programs use random access.

Calculate how big each record will be and multiply by the expected number
of records in a year.  If the file is still relatively small, I would put a
years worth of data in a file.

e.g.

Given 50 records, 256 bytes per record and 200 working days:

50 records/day x .25K/record x 200 days/year = 2500 K/year

Conclusion:  OK for a hard drive, but too big to back up on a 1.44 M floppy
(unless compressed, in which case it would probably just fit).

Putting all of your data in a few files makes backing up and maintenance
easier.

Write an "export"  feature to write data to text files.  This can be very
similar to a "print" feature.  If you enclose text fields in double quotes
(") and use tab (CHR$(9)) characters to separate the fields, most
spreadsheet programs can import your data.

Carl.



Sun, 16 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Advice please on data storage

I was trying to see if I could use minimal hardware, therefore DOS on a 286
or something (I have heaps of old junk in my workshop inc an old Tosh
Notebook, which would fit nicely on the counter).   I am very familier with
access and this would be a dodle in access.  But I was even hoping that I
could even run the whole thing from a 1.44, but knew that that might be
pushing it.

I was thinking of using QuickBasic, but is there ISAM support in VBDOS or
PDS (you know the professional QuickBasic 7.x thingo), should I get one of
those?  What is ISAM?

Thanks for your input though.
Neil

Quote:

>Neil,

>Here are some questions:

>Are you using a professional version of BASIC that supports ISAM databases?

>Do you want to be able to transfer your data to a spreadsheet or other
>program?

>Is disk storage a concern?

>Have you considered using Microsoft Access?

>Now some information:

>Most database programs use random access.

>Calculate how big each record will be and multiply by the expected number
>of records in a year.  If the file is still relatively small, I would put a
>years worth of data in a file.

>e.g.

>Given 50 records, 256 bytes per record and 200 working days:

>50 records/day x .25K/record x 200 days/year = 2500 K/year

>Conclusion:  OK for a hard drive, but too big to back up on a 1.44 M floppy
>(unless compressed, in which case it would probably just fit).

>Putting all of your data in a few files makes backing up and maintenance
>easier.

>Write an "export"  feature to write data to text files.  This can be very
>similar to a "print" feature.  If you enclose text fields in double quotes
>(") and use tab (CHR$(9)) characters to separate the fields, most
>spreadsheet programs can import your data.

>Carl.



Mon, 17 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Advice please on data storage



Quote:
> I was trying to see if I could use minimal hardware, therefore DOS on a
286
> or something (I have heaps of old junk in my workshop inc an old Tosh
> Notebook, which would fit nicely on the counter).   I am very familier
with
> access and this would be a dodle in access.  But I was even hoping that I
> could even run the whole thing from a 1.44, but knew that that might be
> pushing it.

> I was thinking of using QuickBasic, but is there ISAM support in VBDOS or
> PDS (you know the professional QuickBasic 7.x thingo), should I get one
of
> those?  What is ISAM?

> Thanks for your input though.
> Neil

Neil,

VBDOS (Visual Basic programming system for MS-DOS) professional edition has
the capability to work with ISAM (Indexed Sequential Access Method) files.
ISAM statements and functions are added to the normal BASIC functions.
These function "provide an efficient and simple method for quickly
accessing specific records in large and complex data files" (quoted from MS
manual).

ISAM allows your programs to access data in ways similar to Access or SQL
Server.
It supports fields, records, rows, tables, indices, keys, transaction
levels, etc. You can manipulate records without having to worry about the
details, like trying to fit all of the data into memory.  

ISAM files range in size from 64K  to 128 MB.  The functions also support
EMS (expanded memory).

I believe that the later versions of the PDS (professional development
system) versions of QuickBasic may also have ISAM support.  Visual Basic
for MS-DOS professional edition would be the best version, if you can find
a copy.

If you do find a copy, you will also get the presentation graphics library
(so you can graph the business's success with bar and pie charts), the
financial toolkit (loan calculations, trend analysis), matrix math, a
profiler (tune your program), overlays (fit big programs on computer's with
small memories) and other useful stuff.

Carl.



Mon, 17 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Advice please on data storage

Thanks Carl your advice is great.  Any body else got 2 cents worth to put
in?

Regards
Neil

Quote:



>> I was trying to see if I could use minimal hardware, therefore DOS on a
>286
>> or something (I have heaps of old junk in my workshop inc an old Tosh
>> Notebook, which would fit nicely on the counter).   I am very familier
>with
>> access and this would be a dodle in access.  But I was even hoping that I
>> could even run the whole thing from a 1.44, but knew that that might be
>> pushing it.

>> I was thinking of using QuickBasic, but is there ISAM support in VBDOS or
>> PDS (you know the professional QuickBasic 7.x thingo), should I get one
>of
>> those?  What is ISAM?

>> Thanks for your input though.
>> Neil

>Neil,

>VBDOS (Visual Basic programming system for MS-DOS) professional edition has
>the capability to work with ISAM (Indexed Sequential Access Method) files.
>ISAM statements and functions are added to the normal BASIC functions.
>These function "provide an efficient and simple method for quickly
>accessing specific records in large and complex data files" (quoted from MS
>manual).

>ISAM allows your programs to access data in ways similar to Access or SQL
>Server.
>It supports fields, records, rows, tables, indices, keys, transaction
>levels, etc. You can manipulate records without having to worry about the
>details, like trying to fit all of the data into memory.

>ISAM files range in size from 64K  to 128 MB.  The functions also support
>EMS (expanded memory).

>I believe that the later versions of the PDS (professional development
>system) versions of QuickBasic may also have ISAM support.  Visual Basic
>for MS-DOS professional edition would be the best version, if you can find
>a copy.

>If you do find a copy, you will also get the presentation graphics library
>(so you can graph the business's success with bar and pie charts), the
>financial toolkit (loan calculations, trend analysis), matrix math, a
>profiler (tune your program), overlays (fit big programs on computer's with
>small memories) and other useful stuff.

>Carl.



Tue, 18 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Please Help, date storage

2. Please Help, date storage

3. Data storage for a message forum

4. Downloaded Winforms data storage questions

5. Float style data storage

6. Data Storage Tecnique

7. 'Data Storage'

8. Access data storage

9. Data storage type

10. Data Storage

11. VB Data Structure for Email Storage

12. data storage

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software