QB4.5 IDE eating processor time under WIN 2000
Author Message
 QB4.5 IDE eating processor time under WIN 2000

I still use my trusty QB4.5 to make small data cleanup routines. The IDE
does have the unfortunate predilection for CPU time consumption.
Whenever I have it up, even minimized, it shows about 90% of my 2GHz
processor in use. Is their some setting I have missed somewhere? Task
manager credits NTVDM.EXE with the usage.

Wed, 25 May 2005 02:53:27 GMT
 QB4.5 IDE eating processor time under WIN 2000
NTVDM is the 16 bit emulator for running DOS apps, so your QB 4.5 is running

inside of that emulator and NT is only showing the emulator processor
usage.  My guess is there is a polling loop going on with the IDE trying to
look for keyboard input and what not, and that is what is making its
processor usage so high.  In DOS, who cared if you polled the keyboard so
heavily, after all that program was all you were running.  Need an
equivalent of the Unix command 'nice' to easily fix the problem, maybe there
is one for DOS apps?  Sounds like something the NTVDM should have as a
setting, to have it give up clock tics due to DOS apps with heavy keyboard
polling (although old DOS games might not like this much!).  Good luck.

Quote:

> I still use my trusty QB4.5 to make small data cleanup routines. The IDE
> does have the unfortunate predilection for CPU time consumption.
> Whenever I have it up, even minimized, it shows about 90% of my 2GHz
> processor in use. Is their some setting I have missed somewhere? Task
> manager credits NTVDM.EXE with the usage.

Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:13:20 GMT
 QB4.5 IDE eating processor time under WIN 2000
There is an app that was used with Desqview that worked like the Unix command
Nice, called Tame, that just might fix the keyboard polling problem. You can get
a copy of it here (tame333.zip).
http://www.eunet.bg/simtel.net/msdos/desqview-pre.html
Quote:
> NTVDM is the 16 bit emulator for running DOS apps, so your QB 4.5 is running

> inside of that emulator and NT is only showing the emulator processor
> usage.  My guess is there is a polling loop going on with the IDE trying to
> look for keyboard input and what not, and that is what is making its
> processor usage so high.  In DOS, who cared if you polled the keyboard so
> heavily, after all that program was all you were running.  Need an
> equivalent of the Unix command 'nice' to easily fix the problem, maybe there
> is one for DOS apps?  Sounds like something the NTVDM should have as a
> setting, to have it give up clock tics due to DOS apps with heavy keyboard
> polling (although old DOS games might not like this much!).  Good luck.

> > I still use my trusty QB4.5 to make small data cleanup routines. The IDE
> > does have the unfortunate predilection for CPU time consumption.
> > Whenever I have it up, even minimized, it shows about 90% of my 2GHz
> > processor in use. Is their some setting I have missed somewhere? Task
> > manager credits NTVDM.EXE with the usage.

Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:29:34 GMT

1. how to creating a delay that does not eat up processor power

2. win 2000 vs win me

3. Dual Processor Support in MsProject 2000

4. VB6 won't eat VC5 DLL

5. Accessing dynaset eats 70K each time!

6. Accessing dynaset eats 70K each time!

7. VB IDE crashes randomly on 2000/XP

8. QB4.0 -> QB4.5

9. Difference between QB4.5 & QB4.0

10. QB4.5 Elapsed Time Calculator subroutine needed

11. Hi Resolution timing in QB4.5

12. Time-disabling an exe in QB4.5