A new free dos BASIC compiler in development
Author Message
 A new free dos BASIC compiler in development

A new free dos BASIC compiler in development

Marcel Smolenaars, 25th august 1998

Since you're all setting up plans to create a basic compiler, I decided
to let you take a look at my work in designing a BASIC compiler, for
educational reasons. Making a compiler certainly isn't simple.
I certainly hope this won't spoil your fun in making your own..

I've called it qb50 for now.. It's only the working name (and a lousy
one I must say :-) It is made using MS PDS 7.1 .I'm working on it for
about one and a half year, and I've come a long way since then. It's a
one-pass compiler that generates moderately good 386+ assembly code for
real mode, which can be compiled by tasm and masm For now, the compiler
requires all variables to be declared.

Already implemented are:
- expressions: e.g. n=(x*(20-b/a)-function1(a*b,x*(z-y),b)) works out
fine
- variable and constant declarations (local and global)
- function|sub declaration and calling
- program flow constructs: DO..LOOP (WHILE/UNTIL)
  IF..THEN(..ELSEIF ELSE END IF block), FOR..NEXT, SELECT CASE,
  EXIT IF|FOR|SELECT|DO
- variable types integer,byte,long

Under construction:
- arrays (nearly done)

Not done yet:
- by reference parameter passing to functions.
- user defined types
- pointers
- strings! (requires dynamic memory allocation)
- automatic type conversion
- standard library (you can't even PRINT anything)

As you can see, I already have done some neat stuff, but it I'll take
some more time to finish this project. I'll need somebody to help me
creating a standard library. If you think you're a damn good programmer,
and you can proof that to me, you really really want to do it, e-mail me
at the address below so we can discuss about it. It would be very nice
if you have some experience in compiler/standard library construction.

Now, about what you're getting:
I DO NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING THAT MAY HAPPEN WITH THE
THINGS YOU DO WITH THESE FILES. YOU MAY ONLY USE THESE FILES UNDER THE
CONDITION THAT YOU DO NOT SPREAD THESE FILES. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE
OR MODIFY ANY SOURCE CODE.

What you're getting is _all_ the source for the compiler. Since it is in
an early development phase, I ask you NOT TO SPREAD it. DO NOT USE OR
MODIFY THE SOURCE CODE FOR YOURS OR OTHERS PURPOSES. DO NOT PUT IT ON A
HOMEPAGE.

Now, I hope you can bring up the respect for me and my work to follow
these rules.

You can download a copy of the package at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

In it you will find:
- read.me (this file)
- the main source file: qb50.bas, the accompanying modules error.bas,
  symtest.bas, qb50util.bas, and the include files: incerror.bi,
inc_io.bi,
  incsym.bi and incutil.bi. The source code is extensively commented.
- an executable: qb50.exe
- the test source file tst.bas
- the great utility LIST (I renamed it into "l", because it's so good I
  really want to start it up as fast as possible)
- some unfinished text files, with notes and descriptions.

What it will do:

When you execute qb50.exe, it will compile the file tst.bas to tst.asm ,
next it will invoke list to show you the resulting file tst.asm .

What I plan to do:
My intention is to provide this compiler for free, with the source code.

Some notes:
Do not send me e-mails like: "Hey! This and that went wrong! Can't you
make it work decently, moron." This program is under heavy development.
Don't send me bug reports. This isn't even an alpha version. I've
released it only for educational purposes.

Marcel Smolenaars

Sat, 10 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 A new free dos BASIC compiler in development
Hmm.. following that link gives you (well, me at least) an "access
forbidden error". So please follow the link at my homepage at

and you'll get there. Sorry about the confusion.

Marcel Smolenaars

Sat, 10 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 A new free dos BASIC compiler in development
Amazon.com has some books on compiler design that might be
interesting/useful.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/cache/browse/computers---internet/p...
ing/languages---tools/compiler-design/list/002-0930768-2127639
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/cache/browse/computers---internet/p...
ing/languages---tools/compilers/list/002-0930768-2127639
--
To reply to me, remove all occurances of the word "dot" from my e-mail
address.

Quote:
> A new free dos BASIC compiler in development

> Since you're all setting up plans to create a basic compiler, I decided
> to let you take a look at my work in designing a BASIC compiler, for
> educational reasons. Making a compiler certainly isn't simple.
> I certainly hope this won't spoil your fun in making your own..

<snip>

Sun, 11 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Free Beta Visual Basic Dos Compiler (DOS, WIN95/NT,Linux)

2. Free BASIC Compiler for DOS

3. FREE basic compiler (DOS): MoonRock

4. shareware BASIC compiler and GUI-development tool

5. Compiler for MS-Dos Q-basic

6. Dos basic-compilers with NT 4 NTFS-filesystem

7. Basic Compiler For DOS, Where?

8. DOS compiler for Basic

9. 32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?

10. BASIC compiler (for DOS and Windows)

11. GFA BASIC COMPILER FOR DOS

12. visual basic compiler, for dos