32-bit BASIC Compiler for Windows!
Author Message
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for Windows!

Quote:

>Ever wished for a 32-bit BASIC compiler? One with the straightforward DOS
>interface but megabytes and megabytes of memory? Ever wished for a 32-bit
>Windows compiler that's truly easy to use? Well, now it's here. Today. The
>powerbasic Console Compiler for Windows. With PB/CC, it's a whole new Windows!
>Text mode for Win95, Win98, and WinNT!

------------ snipped

This really sounds like great news! Two questions please.

1- Will PBCC include support for COMM ports?

2- I know it's a new product but will previous users get any price
break?

--
Bill
No Email, please post replies to newsgroup.

Sat, 11 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for Windows!

Quote:
> 2- I know it's a new product but will previous users get any price
> break?

New?  Sounds like PB/DLL with a console mode API library.

Not that that is necessarily bad, just that I would have expected this sort of
thing to be sold as an add-on to PB/DLL.

--
Ernie Deel, EFD Systems
Everything you can imagine is real.

Sat, 11 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for Windows!

Quote:
> Marketing! :)

Perhaps.  It tends to raise a few concerns in my mind, particularly if there is
no upgrade for current users of PB/DLL.

--
Ernie Deel, EFD Systems
Everything you can imagine is real.

Sun, 12 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for Windows!

Ernie,

PB/CC is much more than "PB/DLL plus console support".  I'm saddened that
you have no faith.  The console compiler is the start of a new "genre" of
compilers.

What is the one consistant interface between operating systems?  The text
console.  PB/CC for Windows is the first in a series of products specifically
designed for multi-platform support.  Wouldn't you like to write your program
on a single platform and simply re-compile it for other platforms?  Without
having to spend hours (or days or months or years) converting between API
calls, calling conventions, etc...

With the console compiler, we provide a BASIC language which will work on all
platforms supported in the future.  PRINT, LOCATE, COLOR, CLS, LPRINT, etc.
can be supported on all platforms and we will do all of the low-level work so
that you can concentrate on just writing code.

Of course, if you *WANT* to take advantage of platform specific features (such
as linking to DLLs in Windows) we don't prevent you from doing that.  It's
your choice.

Certainly with PB/DLL you can never write code which will work on Linux, DOS,
or other platforms because the API/OS calls won't be the same on each
platform.

Certainly, if you feel you are better served calling the console API from
PB/DLL rather than using the features of PB/CC you are welcome to do that.
But please don't tell people that PB/CC is simply PB/DLL with console support.
It's MUCH more than that, as I'm sure you can now see.

As for PB/DLL itself, we're certainly not done with that.  We've been
collecting suggestions from thousands of users and together with some of our
own ideas, we'll certainly be updating it.  In fact, within the next few weeks
we'll be shipping a *FREE* update to every single registered user with bug
fixes and a completely new IDE with the wiz-bang features customers have been
asking for (color syntax highlighting, the ability to jump to any Sub or
Function with the click of a combo box, and more).

Who else do you know that ships FREE updates of products to customers?
Microsoft lets you download patches for free, but if you want to get an update
disk from them you have to pay for it.

Dave Navarro, Jr.
PowerBASIC, Inc.

Sun, 12 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for Windows!

Quote:
>PB/CC is much more than "PB/DLL plus console support".  I'm saddened that
>you have no faith.  The console compiler is the start of a new "genre" of
>compilers.
>What is the one consistant interface between operating systems?  The text
>console.  PB/CC for Windows is the first in a series of products
>specifically  designed for multi-platform support.

Are you also planning a PB/CC for OS/2 ??

Regards,

Knud

Sun, 12 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for Windows!

I mainly use PowerBasic to easily write small programs for personal
purpose. For example: programs that will read plain text files and
convert them to HTML. This allows me to re-design my site very fast.

There is only one disadvantage: my programs are DOS based. I know
Windows '98 and NT 5 support DOS-boxes, but will future version also do?
What I'm trying to say is that with PB/CC you can write exactly the same
programs, but pure Windows-based. I think PB/CC will become *really*
handy when Windows does not support DOS-boxes anymore. Another
advantage: your programs will also work with the upcoming Win95 emulator
for Linux.

Jeroen

Sun, 12 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for Windows!

Quote:
>>What is the one consistant interface between operating systems?  The text
>>console.  PB/CC for Windows is the first in a series of products
>>specifically  designed for multi-platform support.

>Are you also planning a PB/CC for OS/2 ??

And how about Linux?  A really nice BASIC compiler might be the final push it
would take to make me abandon messdos and all of its relatives.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
If it's spam, it's a scam.  Don't do business with Net abusers.

Sun, 12 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for Windows!

says...

Quote:
> >What is the one consistant interface between operating systems?  The text
> >console.  PB/CC for Windows is the first in a series of products
> >specifically  designed for multi-platform support.

> Are you also planning a PB/CC for OS/2 ??

It's a *possibility* but I'm not going to commit to it.  The problem with OS/2
is that support for it from IBM is "off and on".  At times their hot for it
and willing to do all they can to support it and at other times you can't get
the time of day from them.

The majority of customers who used to bug us regularly about OS/2 support have
informed us that they have moved to Windows NT or Linux.

--Dave

Sun, 12 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for Windows!

Quote:
> I mainly use PowerBasic to easily write small programs for personal
> purpose. For example: programs that will read plain text files and
> convert them to HTML. This allows me to re-design my site very fast.

> There is only one disadvantage: my programs are DOS based. I know
> Windows '98 and NT 5 support DOS-boxes, but will future version also do?
> What I'm trying to say is that with PB/CC you can write exactly the same
> programs, but pure Windows-based. I think PB/CC will become *really*
> handy when Windows does not support DOS-boxes anymore. Another
> advantage: your programs will also work with the upcoming Win95 emulator
> for Linux.

My personal opinion is that DOS will always be available in some form.  I
don't believe that Microsoft will support DOS natively in Windows after
Windows 98/NT5.  But they'll likely offer a DOS emulator for NT 6.0- and later
for an additional fee.  If they don't someone like Caldera will.

There's already a company who sells a complete Linux emulator for Windows
95/NT. so that you can run Linux programs inside of Windows.

In any case, The *console* will always be around and PB/CC supports it very
well.  Personally, I may never write another DOS program again.  I can still
write command line utility and such using PB/CC with native long filename
support and more.

--Dave

Sun, 12 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for Windows!

Quote:
> >>What is the one consistant interface between operating systems?  The text
> >>console.  PB/CC for Windows is the first in a series of products
> >>specifically  designed for multi-platform support.

> >Are you also planning a PB/CC for OS/2 ??

> And how about Linux?  A really nice BASIC compiler might be the final push it
> would take to make me abandon messdos and all of its relatives.

Linux is more likely than OS/2 at this point.

--Dave

Sun, 12 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for Windows!

Quote:

> With the console compiler, we provide a BASIC language which will work on all
> platforms supported in the future.  PRINT, LOCATE, COLOR, CLS, LPRINT, etc.
> can be supported on all platforms and we will do all of the low-level work so
> that you can concentrate on just writing code...

Dave,

Will the PB/CC have a section in the manual that will point out the
subset of commands that will work across platforms?

Mark Phillips

Sun, 12 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for Windows!

Quote:
> What is the one consistant interface between operating systems?  The text
> console.  PB/CC for Windows is the first in a series of products specifically
> designed for multi-platform support.

So I take it PowerBasic has decided that the future is in cross platform
command line apps?

Quote:
> Wouldn't you like to write your program
> on a single platform and simply re-compile it for other platforms?

Not particularly.  I'm mainly concerned with giving my clients what they want.
The vast majority of them use Windows and they haven't heard that command line
apps are coming back.

Quote:
> But please don't tell people that PB/CC is simply PB/DLL with console
> support.   It's MUCH more than that, as I'm sure you can now see.

I haven't seen it so I don't know what it *is*, I only know what it sounds like
from your description.  The picture you drew looked like a duck to me but if
you say it's a swan, I'll take your word for it.

BTW, why is there no upgrade for PB/DLL users?

--
Ernie Deel, EFD Systems
Everything you can imagine is real.

Mon, 13 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for Windows!

Quote:

> So I take it PowerBasic has decided that the future is in cross platform
> command line apps?

The problem here is that you are looking at the release of a single product as
an entirely new "philosophy" for our company.  And you are flat wrong.

I'll make this as simple as I can...  PowerBASIC, Inc. wants to be your *first
choice* in BASIC programming technology.  Whether you are writing command
line/text mode programs or GUI applications, we want to give you the tools you
need.

We plan to release many new BASIC compilers and BASIC programming products
over the next 6 to 7 months.  PB/CC is available now.  Other compilers and
products will be available when they are finished.

Quote:
> > Wouldn't you like to write your program
> > on a single platform and simply re-compile it for other platforms?

> Not particularly.  I'm mainly concerned with giving my clients what they want.
> The vast majority of them use Windows and they haven't heard that command line
> apps are coming back.

Again, you are making a completely false assumption.  PB/CC does not create
"command line apps".  It creates "text mode apps" and while your customers may
not be interested, I can tell you from the email, calls and letters we've
recieved since the announcement, *thousands* of people are interested.

Quote:
> BTW, why is there no upgrade for PB/DLL users?

I'm not sure what you think that.  In fact, thousands of notices have been
mailed out so far offering a discount to PB/DLL owners.  Again, you're making
assumptions.  Gotta watch that...

--Dave

Mon, 13 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for Windows!

says...

Quote:

> Will the PB/CC have a section in the manual that will point out the
> subset of commands that will work across platforms?

The reference section.  <smile>

All *BASIC* statements in the language with the exception of "DECLARE ... LIB"
should work in all platforms.  Probably what we'll do is put that information
on the web site after we've compiled the complete list.

--Dave

Mon, 13 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 47 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

 Relevant Pages

1. 32 bit BASIC Compilers

2. 32 Bit Basic Compiler

3. 32-bit BASIC compilers for Win95/WinNT?

4. 32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?

5. Visual Basic 4.0 32 Bit and Windows NT

6. Visual Basic 4.0 32-bit installation in Windows 95

7. Multimedia control for Visual Basic (16 bit or 32 bit)

8. Avoiding load of 32-bit custom control using 16-bit Visual Basic 4.0

9. shared variables between Visual Basic (16 bit) and Visual C++ (32-bit)