How to write help file in VB 5.0??
Author Message
 How to write help file in VB 5.0??

Hi,
        I am trying to write help file for my application in VB 5.0. I am not sure
what shuold I do. All I knew is that I have to type my help file in words
97 and then save it in "Rich Text Format". After I done that what else
should I do? How can I write the help file where people can search like the
help online in VB, like the index.
        Then how to use the property of the "help index"??

--
Keat Jau
Final year Computer Engineering student at

Fri, 31 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to write help file in VB 5.0??

After you create the help file in RTF, you need to compile it with the Help
compiler (used to be hc.exe).

Are you sure you understand the commands in writing the help file?  It is
quite complicated and takes a while to get the hang of it (uses footnote
symbols with $, k, and other symbols).  The old VB3 books had instructions,
but I am not sure about VB4 or 5.

After compilation, the search/contents stuff come out by themselves.  You
don't need to create a search engine or list of words.  Comes out
automatically.

Hope this helps.

Mick
========

Quote:

>Hi,
> I am trying to write help file for my application in VB 5.0. I am not sure
>what shuold I do. All I knew is that I have to type my help file in words
>97 and then save it in "Rich Text Format". After I done that what else
>should I do? How can I write the help file where people can search like the
>help online in VB, like the index.
> Then how to use the property of the "help index"??

>--
>Keat Jau
>Final year Computer Engineering student at
>University of Newcastle

Fri, 31 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to write help file in VB 5.0??

One of the easiest ways is to get one of the help builder programs,
RoboHelp and Doc-To-Help are two of the larger makers of this type of
software, but there are many more out there. Some do not require Word to
make the document.

--

Ross Products Division - Abbott Laboratories

Quote:
> Hi,
>    I am trying to write help file for my application in VB 5.0. I am not
sure
> what shuold I do. All I knew is that I have to type my help file in words
> 97 and then save it in "Rich Text Format". After I done that what else
> should I do? How can I write the help file where people can search like
the
> help online in VB, like the index.
>    Then how to use the property of the "help index"??

Fri, 31 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to write help file in VB 5.0??

Quote:

> Hi,
>         I am trying to write help file for my application in VB 5.0. I am not sure
> what shuold I do. All I knew is that I have to type my help file in words
> 97 and then save it in "Rich Text Format". After I done that what else
> should I do? How can I write the help file where people can search like the
> help online in VB, like the index.
>         Then how to use the property of the "help index"??

> --
> Keat Jau
> Final year Computer Engineering student at
> University of Newcastle

Hi keat

  When u create a help file in a word format u can assign help context
Id to each topic. And assign that Context ID in ur VB apps to the
control for which u want to diaplay the help. For ex u have a 2 field in
a form Name and Address for that u r using text box control. Assign Help
context ID to each control Assum
txtName = 1 and
txtAddr = 2
now when u write a Word file there might be somewher u can specify this
ID. As now in help file u will have a 2 topics one with ID =1  and
othere with ID=2. After making .RTF file compile it with help compiler
supplied wtih VB or any microsoft apps. Which will convert ur .RTF file
in to .HLP file and in ur apps assigh this help file to APP.Helpfile
property.
        Why don't ur using some help package like ROBOHELP or try some
shareware as u can search from the net. As there u can create and modify
ur help file very easily. Any how ...

Tue, 04 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to write help file in VB 5.0??

be sure to run hc (help compilier) in dos and with a lot of ram

Thu, 06 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to write help file in VB 5.0??

Goto www.winwriters.com
I found Help Magician Pro and Help breeze to be the best
ForeHelp if you are writing a VB application

SharkY

Quote:

>One of the easiest ways is to get one of the help builder programs,
>RoboHelp and Doc-To-Help are two of the larger makers of this type of
>software, but there are many more out there. Some do not require Word to
>make the document.

>--

>Ross Products Division - Abbott Laboratories

>> Hi,
>> I am trying to write help file for my application in VB 5.0. I am not
>sure
>> what shuold I do. All I knew is that I have to type my help file in words
>> 97 and then save it in "Rich Text Format". After I done that what else
>> should I do? How can I write the help file where people can search like
>the
>> help online in VB, like the index.
>> Then how to use the property of the "help index"??

Fri, 07 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to write help file in VB 5.0??

A free Lite helpwriter can be found at:
http://www.teletech-systems.com/

maybe you'll like it enough to upgrade. Not quite for me, but nearly.
It is certainly worth a try.

Remeber though to direct the thing to use hcw.exe off of the VB5 cd.

---
If you need to e-mail me directly, please remove the "9" from my e-mail address. Thank you.

Sun, 09 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to write help file in VB 5.0??

2. How to write help file in VB 5.0??

3. How to write help file in VB 5.0??

4. How to write help file in VB 5.0??

5. How to write help file in VB 5.0??

6. How to write help file in VB 5.0??

7. question about reading/writing Excel 5.0 files

8. HELP !!! VB 5.0 + GRAPHICS SERVER 5.0

9. Creating help-files for VB 5.0

10. VB 5.0 and Clipper index NTX files (Help )

11. Location of VB 5.0 Help File?

12. Creating help-files for VB 5.0