QUES: Recommendation for ODBC driver for Informix and VB application
Author Message
 QUES: Recommendation for ODBC driver for Informix and VB application

Hello,

I was hopping someone could provide me names of ODBC drivers that they have had
working in a client/server environment.  The database is Informix Online residing on a unix server, and the applications are to be written under Visual Basic.

Any information would be greatly appreciated (especically any good or bad
experiences with specific products).

Thanks,

Bob Krause
Software Engineer
ATT:GIS Dryden BU

*********************************************************************************  All thoughts, opinions, comments are my own and no way reflect that of my   **  employer.                                                                   *
*  Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus!!!!                                             *

Tue, 21 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 QUES: Recommendation for ODBC driver for Informix and VB application
We are in the process of testing a product called
SQL Retriever from Visionware (now bought out by SCO).

So far it looks pretty good, although it is heavily packaged for
what it is (emulator, TCP/IP stack the works).

Maybe someone else can help me here, isn't I-NET totally ODBC compatible
or did I just read that in the marketing brochure?

: Hello,

: I was hopping someone could provide me names of ODBC drivers that they have had
: working in a client/server environment.  The database is Informix Online residing on a unix server, and the applications are to be written under Visual Basic.

: Any information would be greatly appreciated (especically any good or bad
: experiences with specific products).

: Thanks,

: Bob Krause
: Software Engineer
: ATT:GIS Dryden BU

: *********************************************************************************  All thoughts, opinions, comments are my own and no way reflect that of my   **  employer.                                                                   *
: *  Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus!!!!                                             *
: ********************************************************************************
"...so does this jelly mean we don't have to do {*filter*}?"

Mon, 27 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 QUES: Recommendation for ODBC driver for Informix and VB application

Quote:

>Hello,

>I was hopping someone could provide me names of ODBC drivers that they have had
>working in a client/server environment.  The database is Informix Online
>residing on a unix server, and the applications are to be written under Visual
>Basic.

>Any information would be greatly appreciated (especically any good or bad
>experiences with specific products).

>Thanks,

>Bob Krause
>Software Engineer
>ATT:GIS Dryden BU

>*********************************************************************************
> All thoughts, opinions, comments are my own and no way reflect that of my   **
>employer.                                                                   *
>*  Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus!!!!                                             *
>********************************************************************************

Do you wish to use Informix middleware (I*Star) or not ? If yes forget the
rest of this mail.
You have to know that you can use another middleware very easy to install
an dto use. This product is called CI-Link. You just need 5 minutes to
install is on your Unix machine (on which your Informix kernel is already
installed). The client part of CI-Link (DLL) is available for PC/Windows
and Macintosh applications. For the Client part you also need 5 minutes to
install it.

Here's more informations on CI-Link:

CI-Link is a client-server development environment for Unix SQL-databases.
With CI-Link you can access to a remote SQL-database from a Macintosh or PC
personnal computer. CI-Link can be used in two differents ways:
    1/ CI-Link can be used to simply send SQL orders to the remote database
from a spreadsheet application for instance, and to get answer into cells.
    2/ But CI-Link has been conceived as a middleware client-server
development environment to create complete application (accounting, ).
CI-Link includes a language, a report writer, BLOB management,

CI-Link is made of two parts, one is the server part, and one is the client
part. The server part is a Unix software, which must be installed on the
Unix computer. The SQL database must be present on the same Unix computer.
The client part of CI-Link is a set of externals functions which are added
to your Macintosh (or PC) application. We call that set of functions :
CI-Link API.The API depends on the application, for instance, the client
part  for Excel is not the same than the client part for RagTime, etc
Several connections mode are available between the client and the server.
You can use the CommunicationToolBox mode (asynchrone, ADSP, X25, ) or the
daemon mode. It's important to notice that if you purchase CI-Link for
instance for Oracle, you don't need to get SQLNet, you just need to have
the RDBMS part and nothing else. All the others things you need are
included in the CI-Link package.

CI-Link server recognizes two type of orders :
        1/ SQL-database orders,
        2/ CI-Link orders.

1/ When CI-Link server receives from the API a SQL order, it sends it to
the database without any operation on that order. In return, if the
database must send an answer or an error message, that message is sent from
the database to CI-Link server, and of course CI-Link server sends it to
the API. Have a look to the database documentation to know the orders that
it recognizes
2/ When CI-Link server receives from the API a CI-Link order, it
understands the order by itself. CI-Link includes a complete programming
language with a lots of things :
        variables (local, global, share, hard),
        control-flow constructs (if then else, while, )
        functions (saved on the Unix server)
        batch (functions that run in background on the Unix server)
        de{*filter*}
        report

You can mix any SQL order in the CI-Link language, and more again !!!

Therefore, you can use CI-Link to create a complete client-server
application, and that's what we have done. Now we can present a lot of
compagnies which use accounting softwares completely build with CI-Link and
4d, HyperCard, Excel, . These applications run with a lot of simultaneous
users. Of course, these users work with a graphic interface, not with SQL
orders !
But of course the developper or even the end-user is not obliged to use the
CI-Link language, it's possible to limited the use of CI-Link to SQL
orders. In that case, you use CI-Link as a gateway between your application
and the SQL server.

CI-Link offers more other functionnalities, but you will be more impressed
if you discover them by yourself.
CI-Link is fast, cheap, easy to set up, easy to use, and very open.

CI-Link server runs with Oracle, Informix, Ingres, and Progress. For
instance for Oracle you don't need SQL*Net.
Here's a list of applications for which a CI-Link API are available :

Macintosh CI-Link API
---------------------
4e Dimension,C,Claris Resolve,Excel,Omnis 7,HyperCard,RagTime,Wingz,5PM,

PC Windows CI-Link API
----------------------
Excel,Omnis 7,C,Object Vision,FoxPro,Visual Basic,Access,CA Realiser,

The CI-Link DDEV for DAM Interface is available !

To get more infos, you can contact :

Alistair Woodman                    |         AppleLink : ASCUS
About Software Corporation          |            eWorld : ASC.US
10601, South De Anza Blvd.          |    America Online : ASCUS
Suite 105                           |        Compuserve : 73243,36

general phone : (408) 725 4242      |     Anonymous FTP : ftp.ascus.com
sales         : (800) 55 SOFTWARE   |        ARA Server : (408) 725 4250
tech support  : (408) 725 4240      |    FirstClass BBS : (408) 725 4252
fax           : (408) 725 4243      |                     bbs.ascus.com

Thu, 06 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. QUES: Recommendation for ODBC driver for Informix and VB application

2. VB or MFC Application using Informix ODBC Driver

3. VB or MFC Application using Informix ODBC Driver

4. VB or MFC Application using Informix ODBC Driver

5. Informix ODBC Drivers

6. ODBC driver to Trim Informix SE Char Fields

7. informix ODBC driver for I-Connect cannot support the RDO

8. Q: Is there an usable ODBC driver for Informix 5

9. ODBC driver to Trim Informix SE Char Fields

10. ODBC Drivers for Informix?

11. CR 9 ODBC Driver for Informix

12. Informix ODBC driver Problem with Crystal Report7