BASICA on a Pentium (MS-DOS 6.2)
Author Message
 BASICA on a Pentium (MS-DOS 6.2)

Quote:

>>>I THINK what you need is GW-BASIC. I think the last version of DOS
>>>that it was included with DOS 5.x, I am not sure it will run under DOS
>>>v6.x, but if you can locate some old DOS v5.0 disks, you could try it
>>>under DOS 6.x.

>>GWBASIC will indeed run under DOS 6.2.  So, for that matter, will QBASIC.

>It will run in a DOS box under Win95 too -- so-called MS-DOS 7.0,
>but really 6.22 with a couple of patches I'm assured.

>Cheers,  Ian S.

>--

>c/- P.O. Box 1054 MAREEBA          Phone  : +61 (0)70 928 555 Home 924 847
>Queensland Australia 4880            Fax  : +61 (0)70 923 593   "   "   "

Thanks for all the help.  I can get a copy of GWBASIC.  I'll try that.
Walter

Sat, 27 Mar 1999 22:43:00 GMT
 BASICA on a Pentium (MS-DOS 6.2)

Quote:

>> My son has a computer class at school that's using BASICA (don't ask me
>> why).  He wants to run programs he's written and saved in BASICA format
>> (not ascii).  When I run BASICA.COM my computer locks up.  Any ideas?
>The file could be corrupted. Try re-installing the program or just copying
>it over from the original disk.

BASICA requires a real IBM PC.  (not a clone)  It interacts with
copyrighted firmware in the BIOS, firmware not available to clone
makers.

Walter's PC probably has a program called GWBASIC.  It behaves the
same way as BASICA, but works around the missing BIOS code.  He can
load his son's program into GWBASIC and it will run the same way it
does at school.

With DOS 6.2, he also has QBASIC.  The "look and feel" are somewhat
different from BASICA, but BASICA programs will run fine.

Doug S.

Sun, 28 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 BASICA on a Pentium (MS-DOS 6.2)

Quote:

>BASICA requires a real IBM PC.  (not a clone)  It interacts with
>copyrighted firmware in the BIOS, firmware not available to clone
>makers.

But our original old NEC PC clones had "BASICA" -- it was implemented
in software to replace the ROMs.  It's a while now, so I can't recall
for sure whether the command BASICA invoked a trivial program that
called BASIC, or whether it worked the other way round.  Hmm... if
this damn 5.25" drive hadn't clagged out maybe I could look at the
old disks (assuming I could find them of course :).

Cheers,  Ian S.

--

c/- P.O. Box 1054 MAREEBA          Phone  : +61 (0)70 928 555 Home 924 847
Queensland Australia 4880            Fax  : +61 (0)70 923 593   "   "   "

Sun, 28 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 19 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]