Where do I get started with re-learning BASIC on a PC
Author Message
 Where do I get started with re-learning BASIC on a PC

Hi,

In the mists of time I used to be competent with BBC basic and I
dabbled briefly with GW-BASIC some 10 years ago.

However, I now need to write a program to read  a comma separated data
file and re-arrange the data in the arrays.

Where can I get a copy of BASIC to run on my PC now?

Is a there any good on-line learning resource?

Thanks for you help.

regards

robin4340

Sat, 03 Jan 2004 22:12:08 GMT
 Where do I get started with re-learning BASIC on a PC

Quote:
> Where can I get a copy of BASIC to run on my PC now?

If you want to continue using BBC Basic I believe there is a program
called Brandy that is a BBC basic interpreter for Windows and Linux. I'm
afraid I can't remember where you can download it but a search at either
Altavista or certainly dmoz.org will help.

--
Ben Brook

Web Sites and Computer Graphics http://www.ben-brook.co.uk/
RISC OS user in London? http://www.jellybaby.net/rougol/

Sun, 04 Jan 2004 01:01:07 GMT
 Where do I get started with re-learning BASIC on a PC
Try the TrueBasic web site and the powerbasic web site.
The PB web site has a forum.

Sun, 04 Jan 2004 00:46:24 GMT
 Where do I get started with re-learning BASIC on a PC

Quote:
> Where can I get a copy of BASIC to run on my PC now?

Just check out

http://dreael.catty.ch/Deutsch/BASIC-Knowhow-Ecke/Bezug_QBASIC.html

Note: Use http://babelfish.altavista.com/ to translate the German text.

Short summary: Microsoft offers QBASIC.EXE (the successor of GWBASIC.EXE
under DOS) for free which you can download as
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Softlib/MSLFILES/OLDDOS.EXE . QBasic should cover
your needs to solve your problem.

                  Andreas

Sun, 04 Jan 2004 01:56:53 GMT
 Where do I get started with re-learning BASIC on a PC
You should check out http://www.omnibasic.com

Quote:
> Hi,

> In the mists of time I used to be competent with BBC basic and I
> dabbled briefly with GW-BASIC some 10 years ago.

> However, I now need to write a program to read  a comma separated data
> file and re-arrange the data in the arrays.

> Where can I get a copy of BASIC to run on my PC now?

> Is a there any good on-line learning resource?

> Thanks for you help.

> regards

> robin4340

Sun, 04 Jan 2004 04:49:03 GMT
 Where do I get started with re-learning BASIC on a PC

Quote:

>In the mists of time I used to be competent with BBC basic and I
>dabbled briefly with GW-BASIC some 10 years ago.
>Where can I get a copy of BASIC to run on my PC now?

There are a few free Basic interpreters (some with source code even)
that will run on most PC's (win/linux/MacOS) listed on my Basic
resources web page:  <http://www.nicholson.com/rhn/basic>

YMMV.
--

#include <canonical.disclaimer>   // only my own opinions, etc.

Sun, 04 Jan 2004 08:11:34 GMT
 Where do I get started with re-learning BASIC on a PC
: In the mists of time I used to be competent with BBC basic and I
: dabbled briefly with GW-BASIC some 10 years ago.

: However, I now need to write a program to read  a comma separated data
: file and re-arrange the data in the arrays.

: Where can I get a copy of BASIC to run on my PC now?

: Is a there any good on-line learning resource?

Considering your previous experience, and assuming you are interested
in an easy to use BASIC for Windows, you will probably enjoy Liberty
BASIC.  http://www.libertybasic.com

-Carl

 author of Liberty BASIC, twice a PC Magazine Awards Finalist!
 http://www.libertybasic.com

Sun, 04 Jan 2004 22:57:35 GMT
 Where do I get started with re-learning BASIC on a PC
Hello,

Depending on what you want to do, if this is just a one time deal you might
want to just import the data into a spreadsheet like MS Excel or Quattro Pro
and deal with it that way, rather than using BASIC. If you plan on doing
more then why not start with QBASIC for free on a Windows 9x CD-ROM?

- Ross.

Quote:
> Hi,

> In the mists of time I used to be competent with BBC basic and I
> dabbled briefly with GW-BASIC some 10 years ago.

> However, I now need to write a program to read  a comma separated data
> file and re-arrange the data in the arrays.

> Where can I get a copy of BASIC to run on my PC now?

> Is a there any good on-line learning resource?

> Thanks for you help.

> regards

> robin4340

Mon, 05 Jan 2004 06:54:18 GMT
 Where do I get started with re-learning BASIC on a PC
: In the mists of time I used to be competent with BBC basic and I

: Where can I get a copy of BASIC to run on my PC now?

If you were "competent" with BBC BASIC why not use
that ?  You can download an evaluation version of
BBC BASIC (86) from my website (URL below) - this
is a DOS program but will happily run under Windows.
It is restricted in the amount of memory available,
but might well be good enough for your application.

If you can wait a little while, "BBC BASIC for Windows"
is due for release quite soon.  This has a proper GUI
and an editor with syntax colouring, etc.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Mon, 05 Jan 2004 20:41:06 GMT
 Where do I get started with re-learning BASIC on a PC
On Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:01:07 GMT, Ben Brook

Quote:

>> Where can I get a copy of BASIC to run on my PC now?

>If you want to continue using BBC Basic I believe there is a program
>called Brandy that is a BBC basic interpreter for Windows and Linux. I'm
>afraid I can't remember where you can download it but a search at either

www.brandy.com

Like the original poster I used to enjoy using BBC Basic but forgot
about it for a number of years.

I have recenly started using Brandy and it appears the same as on my
old Acorn but minus many graphic feature - I think.

Geoff Lane
Welwyn Hatfield Computer Club - Hertfordshire, UK
www.bigfoot.com/~whcc  - Online facilities for non locals

Mon, 05 Jan 2004 21:30:23 GMT
 Where do I get started with re-learning BASIC on a PC
Hey Robin

http://www.powerbasic.com/files/pub/docs/

I found this site to have loads of helpful links on BASIC.

Especially the WINER.ZIP which contains a previously  published 'book' on
BASIC Techniques and Utilities by Ethan Winer. - Excellent stuff.

All the best.

Quote:
> Hi,

> In the mists of time I used to be competent with BBC basic and I
> dabbled briefly with GW-BASIC some 10 years ago.

> However, I now need to write a program to read  a comma separated data
> file and re-arrange the data in the arrays.

> Where can I get a copy of BASIC to run on my PC now?

> Is a there any good on-line learning resource?

> Thanks for you help.

> regards

> robin4340

Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:56:28 GMT

1. How do I get started learning Visual Basic

2. Getting Started with Visual Basic

3. Getting Started with Visual Basic

4. Learning Visual Basic Learning Edition Deluxe/Professional Edition

5. VB7 do we need to relearn?

6. PC Plus magazine articles on Learning VB

7. PC Learning Labs / VB 4.0 (Missing Disk)

8. Learning Basic - Visual Basic - Visual InterDev

9. Have News from Basic Basic PC ?

10. What should I start to learn...

11. just starting out-looking for someone to learn with

12. where should I start,,I want to learn how to creat programs of my own