32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?
Author Message
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?

Is there any BASIC compiler for DOS that can break the memory
limitation of 640K/1M or let me do with strings that larger than 64K?

Sat, 24 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?

Quote:

>Is there any BASIC compiler for DOS that can break the memory
>limitation of 640K/1M or let me do with strings that larger than 64K?

There are XMS & EMS libraries and sources around for both powerbasic and
Quickbasic, which enable you to store data in memory above the 1 MB
limit. As far as I know your string length will still be limited to 64 KB,
since that's a limit of the languages themselves...

Marc van den Dikkenberg
-----------------------------o---------------------
http://145.89.78.151/~excel  | Programming Archives
http://www.xs4all.nl/~excel  | antU, Humour, Sci-Fi

Sat, 24 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?

Quote:

>Newsgroups: comp.lang.basic.misc
>Subject: [News] 32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?
>Date: Tue, 04 Feb 97 17:41:36 GMT

Quote:

>Is there any BASIC compiler for DOS that can break the memory
>limitation of 640K/1M or let me do with strings that larger than 64K?

Yesss!

Try PowerBASIC.

    Good luck,

Sun, 25 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?

Quote:

> >Is there any BASIC compiler for DOS that can break the memory
> >limitation of 640K/1M or let me do with strings that larger than 64K?
> Yesss!

I dislike it (haven't used it much), because it has no F2 supp for qbasics
F2....

The View window....

In qb, every SUB and FUNCITION has it's own window... as much I colud see,
Powerbasic has no such thing....

        Mike
--
Ovo je moj signacur fajl...

Sun, 25 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?

On 5 Feb 1997 09:31:40 +0500, Alexander Podkolzin

Quote:

>>Is there any BASIC compiler for DOS that can break the memory
>>limitation of 640K/1M or let me do with strings that larger than 64K?

>Yesss!

>Try PowerBASIC.

I download TRYPB32, but it looks like that strings are still limited
by the 64K barrier?

Sun, 25 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?

Quote:

>On 5 Feb 1997 09:31:40 +0500, Alexander Podkolzin

>>>Is there any BASIC compiler for DOS that can break the memory
>>>limitation of 640K/1M or let me do with strings that larger than 64K?

>>Yesss!

>>Try PowerBASIC.

>I download TRYPB32, but it looks like that strings are still limited
>by the 64K barrier?

Yes, you are limited as to how large strings can be (the limit in PB is either
32 or 64k), but there is no limit in PB as to how many strings you can have.
In QBasic and QB, all of the strings must not exceed the 32k limit (you can
however, clear string to free up string space).

-Jesse

====================================
Very funny Scotty!
Now beam down my clothes!
====================================

Sun, 25 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?

Quote:

>On 5 Feb 1997 09:31:40 +0500, Alexander Podkolzin

>>>Is there any BASIC compiler for DOS that can break the memory
>>>limitation of 640K/1M or let me do with strings that larger than 64K?

>>Yesss!

>>Try PowerBASIC.

>I download TRYPB32, but it looks like that strings are still limited
>by the 64K barrier?

I'm sorry, but I've just _GOT_ to ask (my curiosity is killing me):
Why do you want/need a string longer than 64k?
PB, BTW, only handles 32k strings but has unlimited string space. It can,
however, use HUGE arrays and memroy is, after all, memory.

  ____    _    ____      ____  _____
 |  _ \  / \  / ___) __ | ___)(_   _)  Nutz'n Bolts
 | |_)  / _ \ \____\/  \|  _)   | |   PowerBASIC PBL
 |____//_/ \_\(____/\__/|_|     |_|    N-B-V206.ZIP

Sun, 25 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?

Quote:

> >Newsgroups: comp.lang.basic.misc
> >Subject: [News] 32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?
> >Date: Tue, 04 Feb 97 17:41:36 GMT

> >Is there any BASIC compiler for DOS that can break the memory
> >limitation of 640K/1M or let me do with strings that larger than 64K?

> Yesss!

> Try PowerBASIC.

No, that won't be a good choice IMHO. Try out GBasic!!!!
It can adress up to 4GB of memory, do graphics in ANY possible
resolution from 256x256 up to 1024x768 and 16BIT Stereo sound. Later,
this year it will have a build in gorouad shader/texture mapper and High
Color.

Also GBasic will be available on both DOS and Unix/Linux.

So please check it out:

http://www.hof.de/~gbasic
(It's still under construction, i mean both GBasic and the web site...)

---
Gunnar Beushausen

http://www.hof.de/~gbasic

Sun, 25 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?

Quote:

> On 5 Feb 1997 09:31:40 +0500, Alexander Podkolzin

> >>Is there any BASIC compiler for DOS that can break the memory
> >>limitation of 640K/1M or let me do with strings that larger than 64K?

> >Yesss!

> >Try PowerBASIC.

> I download TRYPB32, but it looks like that strings are still limited
> by the 64K barrier?

As i said before, check out GBasic, there are NO such limitations.

Sun, 25 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?

Quote:
>Is there any BASIC compiler for DOS that can break the memory
>limitation of 640K/1M or let me do with strings that larger than 64K?

GFA DOS has commands for -EMS handling

EAVAIL                  EMSGET
EDIR                    EMSPUT
EGET                    EPARLOAD
EKILL                   EPARSAVE
EMEMGET                 EPOP
EMEMPOP                 EPUSH
EMEMPUSH

it will only do strings of only 32K, but you can DIM a|(400000)

Mon, 26 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?

Quote:

> >Is there any BASIC compiler for DOS that can break the memory
> >limitation of 640K/1M or let me do with strings that larger than 64K?

> There are XMS & EMS libraries and sources around for both powerbasic and
> Quickbasic, which enable you to store data in memory above the 1 MB
> limit. As far as I know your string length will still be limited to 64
KB,
> since that's a limit of the languages themselves...

> Marc van den Dikkenberg

Hi,

You could try GBASIC (I haven't used it myself yet)
I don't recall the exact address but I have a link to it on my homepage:

http://titan.glo.be/wl

Greetz,

Wim Lambrechts

Mon, 26 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?

: On 5 Feb 1997 09:31:40 +0500, Alexander Podkolzin

: >>Is there any BASIC compiler for DOS that can break the memory
: >>limitation of 640K/1M or let me do with strings that larger than 64K?
: >
: >Yesss!
: >
: >Try PowerBASIC.

: I download TRYPB32, but it looks like that strings are still limited
: by the 64K barrier?

--
DJGPP is the GNU full 32-bit C/C++ development system for DOS; look at
comp.os.msdos.djgpp. No limitations on array or string sizes.

Carl

Mon, 26 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?

Quote:
>> Try PowerBASIC.
>No, that won't be a good choice IMHO. Try out GBasic!!!!
>It can adress up to 4GB of memory, do graphics in ANY possible
>resolution from 256x256 up to 1024x768 and 16BIT Stereo sound. Later,
>this year it will have a build in gorouad shader/texture mapper and High
>Color.

No offence, but right now, at *this* moment GBasic is a bit too
experimental. It looks very promising, I admit, but right now I don't
consider it to be a serious competitor for any of the available basic
compilers. It simply lacks some functionality right now.

It might become one in the not-to-distant-future, though...

Marc van den Dikkenberg
-----------------------------o---------------------
http://145.89.78.151/~excel  | Programming Archives
http://www.xs4all.nl/~excel  | antU, Humour, Sci-Fi

Wed, 28 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?

Quote:

> : On 5 Feb 1997 09:31:40 +0500, Alexander Podkolzin

> : >>Is there any BASIC compiler for DOS that can break the memory
> : >>limitation of 640K/1M or let me do with strings that larger than 64K?
> : >
> : >Yesss!
> : >
> : >Try PowerBASIC.

Quote:

> : I download TRYPB32, but it looks like that strings are still limited
> : by the 64K barrier?

> --
> DJGPP is the GNU full 32-bit C/C++ development system for DOS; look at
> comp.os.msdos.djgpp. No limitations on array or string sizes.
> It has also a Fortran and PASCAL frontend. BASIC? I'm not sure.

> Carl

Nope, no Basic. Last time I checked (two days ago). If you find a Basic
compiler for it, tell me...

--
Dennis Moran (aka Coolio)

http://coolio9.com/

Wed, 28 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 32-bit BASIC Compiler for DOS?

Quote:

> : On 5 Feb 1997 09:31:40 +0500, Alexander Podkolzin

> : >>Is there any BASIC compiler for DOS that can break the memory
> : >>limitation of 640K/1M or let me do with strings that larger than 64K?
> : >
> : >Yesss!
> : >
> : >Try PowerBASIC.

> : I download TRYPB32, but it looks like that strings are still limited
> : by the 64K barrier?

> --
> DJGPP is the GNU full 32-bit C/C++ development system for DOS; look at
> comp.os.msdos.djgpp. No limitations on array or string sizes.
> It has also a Fortran and PASCAL frontend. BASIC? I'm not sure.

GBasic is some sort of the GNU BASIC frontend, but it's not part of GNU
or something.

Take a look here, in a few months, there will be a great compiler to
download...

http://www.hof.de/~gbasic

Wed, 28 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 18 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. 32 bit BASIC Compilers

2. 32 Bit Basic Compiler

3. 32-bit BASIC compilers for Win95/WinNT?

4. 32-bit BASIC Compiler for Windows!

5. Multimedia control for Visual Basic (16 bit or 32 bit)

6. Avoiding load of 32-bit custom control using 16-bit Visual Basic 4.0

7. shared variables between Visual Basic (16 bit) and Visual C++ (32-bit)

8. Interpretor/compiler 32 BIT

9. 32/64-Bit Compiler beats VB and C!