OCX vs DLL: what's the difference ?
Author Message
 OCX vs DLL: what's the difference ?

Hi all,

Can anyone please explain to me or tell me where to find information on
the difference between DLL and OCX files ?
If there exists a site with more good info in general about this subject
I'm also interested.

Thanks in advance,
Peter

Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 OCX vs DLL: what's the difference ?

Quote:

>Hi all,

>Can anyone please explain to me or tell me where to find information
on
>the difference between DLL and OCX files ?
>If there exists a site with more good info in general about this
subject
>I'm also interested.

An OCX is a DLL, but it has a special interface that allows it to act
as an OLE server, and to present itself in various design
environments.  When you add an OCX (Activex) control to the toolbar in
VB, for example, it's the OCX itself that supplies the little bitmap
that pops up in the button.  To use a plain jane DLL, you have to know
the exact names and parameter requirements of all the functions in it.
Then you have to declare the functions you want to use from it in a
.BAS module.  But an OCX automatically supplies all that information
when you add it to a project, and all you have to do is take advantage
of it.

For more information on them, go to www.yahoo.com and type in
"activex" in the search box and hit enter.  You'll find lot's of
stuff, I'm sure.

jdm

Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. STD vs PRO VB4 - What's The Difference

2. Dim vs. Private What's the Difference

3. ActiveX dll vs ActiveX control - Whats the difference

4. ocx and oca - what's the difference?

5. ActiveX exe, dll, ocx difference

6. difference between DLL and OCX

7. EXE's Vs DLL's Naming Problem

8. What DLL's and OCX's used

9. OCX's and DLL's

10. Including dll's and ocx's in VB exe file

11. DLL's OCX's

12. Finding running DLL's and OCX's