VISUAL BASIC IS MOST DESPISED PROGRAMING ENVIRROMMENT! 
Author Message
 VISUAL BASIC IS MOST DESPISED PROGRAMING ENVIRROMMENT!

[comp.unix.questions, comp.object and poor nyc.food deleted]

Quote:


> > Also I have been told that Unix and C++ will go away from the market
> > place and be replaced by Visual Basic and Windows 95 very soon. My
> > friend recruiter told me that within a year or so no one will ever
> > need these nerd Unix programers.

I heard a different rumour. Micro$oft is actually hiring trolls and
losers
like you to promote Visual Basic. Because, eventually, Micro$oft is
going to re-write their crappy DO$-based OS'es in Basic.

Quote:
> > Now tell me WHY these losers who will soon be pushed out of the
> > programing market HATE visual basic? It is a great language!
> > It is the most economical environment for building Graphicall
> > Interfaces!

[..................]
Quote:
> I like C++ because it, along with occasional assembly language routines
> gives me snappier performance and better control than Visual Basic does
> (I've used both). However, if someone waves a profitable project/job in
> front of me and insists that it be written in VB, then that's what I
> will do.

[....................]

I thought I might add a real life example why Visual
Lamic sucks.

Basic creates a new variable whenever you type
a new name, without declaring it. But if you mistype
the name of a variable, VB compiler will think it's
just another new variable. Consider this piece of
Visual Crazic code:

RugbyGames = 44
...
RudbyGames = RudbyGames + MoreGames
...
PRINT RugbyGames

Here, a programmer mistyped `Rugby..'. So, it wasn't
changed. But, instead, a new variable was created,
`Rudby..' And it apparently breaks no rules in Basic.
So, you'll have a helluva lot of fun debugging such
a program. However, it's not possible to make such a
stupid error in C++. I would have to declare all my
variables before I use 'em, like:

unsigned short int MoreGames, RugbyGames = 44;
RugbyGames = RugbyGames + MoreGames;
cout << RugbyGames;

Had I made a typo in `RugbyGames', my compiler
would have made a lot of noice (or, at least,
issued a warning ) about how stupid I am that I use
an undeclared variable, like:

char.cc: In function `int Games()':
char.cc:8: `RudbyGames' undeclared (first use this function)
char.cc:8: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
char.cc:8: for each function it appears in.)

If I add `-Wall' switch to my command line compiler statement,
I'll get even more debugging information.

Conclusion: C++ lets me write a better error-proof program
then Micro$uck Visual Gasic does.

--
*-=-=-=-=-=#include <disclaimer.h>-=-=-=-=-=-=-*

*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Vancouver, B.C.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*
*-=-=-=-Good pings come in small packets-=-=-=-*



Fri, 22 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VISUAL BASIC IS MOST DESPISED PROGRAMING ENVIRROMMENT!

<snipped>

Quote:

> I thought I might add a real life example why Visual
> Lamic sucks.

> Basic creates a new variable whenever you type
> a new name, without declaring it. But if you mistype
> the name of a variable, VB compiler will think it's
> just another new variable. Consider this piece of
> Visual Crazic code:
> <snipped>
> Conclusion: C++ lets me write a better error-proof program
> then Micro$uck Visual Gasic does.

God, I hate myself for even ACKing this thread. However ...

If you knew the slightest bit about VB, you'd know that there is a switch
that forces the programmer to declare all variables before use. Yes, it's
unfortunate that MS did not make it the default, but including it is no more
annoying than running into interdependant header files that must be included
in a particular order (perhaps written by someone who writes "a better
error-proof program" - the tool is no better _and no worse_ than the person
using it).

BTW, Microsoft and Visual Basic are the names {*filter*}s use to discuss and
disagree about products. Name calling should be left to children and
politicians.

--
***************************************************************************
                                          Glenn R. Larkin
    _/        _/        _/      _/  _/    Lawrence Livermore National Labs
   _/        _/        _/_/    _/  _/     7000 East Ave.  L-492
  _/        _/        _/  _/  _/  _/      Livermore, CA 94550-9516

_/_/_/_/  _/_/_/_/  _/      _/  _/_/_/_/  (510) 424-2859 (VOICE)
                                          (510) 422-2237 (FAX)
***************************************************************************



Fri, 22 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VISUAL BASIC IS MOST DESPISED PROGRAMING ENVIRROMMENT!

Quote:
> I thought I might add a real life example why Visual
> Lamic sucks.

> Basic creates a new variable whenever you type
> a new name, without declaring it. But if you mistype
> the name of a variable, VB compiler will think it's
> just another new variable. Consider this piece of
> Visual Crazic code:
> [messy code continues...]

Totally agree. Yes, although I do use a Microsoft operating system, IMHO
VB sucks. I 've used it before. C/C++ gives much more flexibility.
BASIC's  basic constructs, such as for, switch, are difficult to use.
Also try using Windows API from VB! VB has no pointers of any sort (not
even references as in Java). VB code also cannot ignore return values.
And Microsoft never thought of adding OOP to basic either yet adding
other junk stuff. Conclusion: it's simply not suitable for production
software.

And this is not to mention nonportable code ("portable" in Microsoft
means Windows). This is reason why I don't write a lot Windows software
either, something like JAva is better.



Fri, 22 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VISUAL BASIC IS MOST DESPISED PROGRAMING ENVIRROMMENT!

Quote:

> > I thought I might add a real life example why Visual
> > Lamic sucks.

> > Basic creates a new variable whenever you type
> > a new name, without declaring it. But if you mistype
> > the name of a variable, VB compiler will think it's
> > just another new variable. Consider this piece of
> > Visual Crazic code:

> > [messy code continues...]

> Totally agree. Yes, although I do use a Microsoft operating system, IMHO
> VB sucks. I 've used it before. C/C++ gives much more flexibility.
> BASIC's  basic constructs, such as for, switch, are difficult to use.
> Also try using Windows API from VB! VB has no pointers of any sort (not
> even references as in Java). VB code also cannot ignore return values.
> And Microsoft never thought of adding OOP to basic either yet adding
> other junk stuff. Conclusion: it's simply not suitable for production
> software.

> And this is not to mention nonportable code ("portable" in Microsoft
> means Windows). This is reason why I don't write a lot Windows software
> either, something like JAva is better.

First a disclaimer. I have never written any VB code. I never liked Basic on my 1st (cpm) machine. I have had
to read and attempt to make sense of VB code that 'sort of' worked however...

For me, if I am going to use a visual ide, I'll use Borlands Delphi. It is truly OO, has a decent de{*filter*},
compiles to reasonably fast machine code, and Pascal is not really that different from writing C. /* GASP! did
I just say that?!?!? */

No, I am not going to try and write a device drive in Delphi. But then, I am not going to try and write a
database front end in C (or C++) either. I can do it faster in Delphi. Why mess with the 4 billion windows
functions if the environment will do it for me...And therefore with less chance of error?

Just my $1.97 (inflation adjusted 2 cents...)

Phil



Fri, 22 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VISUAL BASIC IS MOST DESPISED PROGRAMING ENVIRROMMENT!

: Basic creates a new variable whenever you type
: a new name, without declaring it. But if you mistype
: the name of a variable, VB compiler will think it's
: just another new variable. Consider this piece of
: Visual Crazic code:

WRONG!!!

There is something called Option Explicit that will turn this feature off.

Try again.

-Patrick
 http://www.tjhsst.edu/people/pmcneill/



Sat, 23 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VISUAL BASIC IS MOST DESPISED PROGRAMING ENVIRROMMENT!

Quote:

> [comp.unix.questions, comp.object and poor nyc.food deleted]



> > > Also I have been told that Unix and C++ will go away from the market
> > > place and be replaced by Visual Basic and Windows 95 very soon. My
> > > friend recruiter told me that within a year or so no one will ever
> > > need these nerd Unix programers.

> I heard a different rumour. Micro$oft is actually hiring trolls and
> losers
> like you to promote Visual Basic. Because, eventually, Micro$oft is
> going to re-write their crappy DO$-based OS'es in Basic.

> > > Now tell me WHY these losers who will soon be pushed out of the
> > > programing market HATE visual basic? It is a great language!
> > > It is the most economical environment for building Graphicall
> > > Interfaces!
> [..................]
> > I like C++ because it, along with occasional assembly language routines
> > gives me snappier performance and better control than Visual Basic does
> > (I've used both). However, if someone waves a profitable project/job in
> > front of me and insists that it be written in VB, then that's what I
> > will do.
> [....................]

> I thought I might add a real life example why Visual
> Lamic sucks.

> Basic creates a new variable whenever you type
> a new name, without declaring it. But if you mistype
> the name of a variable, VB compiler will think it's
> just another new variable. Consider this piece of
> Visual Crazic code:

> RugbyGames = 44
> ...
> RudbyGames = RudbyGames + MoreGames
> ...
> PRINT RugbyGames

> Here, a programmer mistyped `Rugby..'. So, it wasn't
> changed. But, instead, a new variable was created,
> `Rudby..' And it apparently breaks no rules in Basic.
> So, you'll have a helluva lot of fun debugging such
> a program. However, it's not possible to make such a
> stupid error in C++. I would have to declare all my
> variables before I use 'em, like:

> unsigned short int MoreGames, RugbyGames = 44;
> RugbyGames = RugbyGames + MoreGames;
> cout << RugbyGames;

> Had I made a typo in `RugbyGames', my compiler
> would have made a lot of noice (or, at least,
> issued a warning ) about how stupid I am that I use
> an undeclared variable, like:

> char.cc: In function `int Games()':
> char.cc:8: `RudbyGames' undeclared (first use this function)
> char.cc:8: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> char.cc:8: for each function it appears in.)

> If I add `-Wall' switch to my command line compiler statement,
> I'll get even more debugging information.

> Conclusion: C++ lets me write a better error-proof program
> then Micro$uck Visual Gasic does.

> --
> *-=-=-=-=-=#include <disclaimer.h>-=-=-=-=-=-=-*

> *-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Vancouver, B.C.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*
> *-=-=-=-Good pings come in small packets-=-=-=-*

Nice try. Your strawman that you so eloquently demolished only proves
that you don't know what you are so much against.  VB does allow you to
require variable declarations just as C++ does.  A professional
programmer would learn about the tool he/she is using and in the case of
VB(4) would go to Tool/Options and check Require Variable Declaration.

You need another example to flame VB.



Sat, 23 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VISUAL BASIC IS MOST DESPISED PROGRAMING ENVIRROMMENT!

To reply to your comments, in VB you can set preferences so that all variables must be explicitly declared.  As for OOP
capabilities, it is possible to develop your own headers and classes and VB will act like a OOPL.    How is switch difficult? And
using windows API, granted its DIFFERENT than C/C++, but only people with tunnel vision would limit their knowledge of numerous
programing languages.

 * * * * Original Message * * * *

Quote:

> I thought I might add a real life example why Visual
> Lamic sucks.

> Basic creates a new variable whenever you type
> a new name, without declaring it. But if you mistype
> the name of a variable, VB compiler will think it's
> just another new variable. Consider this piece of
> Visual Crazic code:
> [messy code continues...]

Totally agree. Yes, although I do use a Microsoft operating system, IMHO
VB sucks. I 've used it before. C/C++ gives much more flexibility.
BASIC's  basic constructs, such as for, switch, are difficult to use.
Also try using Windows API from VB! VB has no pointers of any sort (not
even references as in Java). VB code also cannot ignore return values.
And Microsoft never thought of adding OOP to basic either yet adding
other junk stuff. Conclusion: it's simply not suitable for production
software.

And this is not to mention nonportable code ("portable" in Microsoft
means Windows). This is reason why I don't write a lot Windows software
either, something like JAva is better.

 * * * * End Original Message * * * *



Sat, 23 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VISUAL BASIC IS MOST DESPISED PROGRAMING ENVIRROMMENT!

Quote:
> Conclusion: it's simply not suitable for
> production software.

Here at Glaxo Wellcome, our Drug Information department uses a VB system
to search through a full-text index of several thousand letters while on
the phone with health care professionals. The same system also generates
2000+ pages of printouts daily to be mailed to our customers. It saves
time for the 50 people in the Drug Info department while allowing us to
kep statistics on which letters get sent the most. You tell me, is this a
production system?

--
Phil

Save the Earth -- shoot yourself.
URL O' the Day: http://www.sleazefest.com/sleaze



Sat, 23 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VISUAL BASIC IS MOST DESPISED PROGRAMING ENVIRROMMENT!

Quote:

>Basic creates a new variable whenever you type
>a new name, without declaring it. But if you mistype
>the name of a variable, VB compiler will think it's
>just another new variable. Consider this piece of
>Visual Crazic code:
>RugbyGames = 44
>...
>RudbyGames = RudbyGames + MoreGames
>...
>PRINT RugbyGames
>Here, a programmer mistyped `Rugby..'. So, it wasn't
>changed. But, instead, a new variable was created,
>`Rudby..' And it apparently breaks no rules in Basic.
>So, you'll have a helluva lot of fun debugging such
>a program.

 That's not completely true. Smart people use the following line
in the declarations section:

Option Explicit

with this, VB will show you a warning each time you use a variable
that wasn't declared.

 There is another way to do this. You can go to the Environment Options
and turn the "Require Variable Declaration" option on. Now you don't
have to use the Option Explicit line.

 See you.

--
Tiago Epifanio (Lisbon, Portugal)
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds;
the pessimist fears this is true." -James Cabell



Sat, 23 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VISUAL BASIC IS MOST DESPISED PROGRAMING ENVIRROMMENT!

: >
: > > I thought I might add a real life example why Visual
: > > Lamic sucks.
: > >
: > > Basic creates a new variable whenever you type
: > > a new name, without declaring it. But if you mistype
: > > the name of a variable, VB compiler will think it's
: > > just another new variable. Consider this piece of
: > > Visual Crazic code:
: >
: > > [messy code continues...]
: >
  Wrong, just add the line "Option Explicit" in the Declaration section
of each form/class/module and this problem is solved (Better still, in the
Options, check the Require variable declaration box

: Just my $1.97 (inflation adjusted 2 cents...)

: Phil



Sun, 24 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 648 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44]

 Relevant Pages 

1. VISUAL BASIC -- MOST DESPISED PROGRAMING ENVIRROMMENT?

2. VISUAL BASIC -- MOST DESPISED PROGRAMING ENVIRROMMENT?

3. VISUAL BASIC -- MOST DESPISED PROGRAMING ENVIRROMMENT?

4. VISUAL BASIC -- MOST DESPISED PROGRAMING ENVIRROMMENT?

5. SMALLTALK (was: VISUAL BASIC -- MOST DESPISED PROGRAMING ENVIRROMMENT?)

6. VISUAL BASIC -- MOST DESPISED PROGRAMING ENVIRROMMENT?

7. VISUAL BASIC -- MOST DESPISED PROGRAMING ENVIRROMMENT?

8. VISUAL BASIC -- MOST DESPISED PROGRAMING ENVIR

9. Developer Value, was (sadly) ...MOST DESPISED...ENVIRROMMENT?

10. Visual Basic RPG Programing

11. VISUAL PIZZA - MOST DESPISED SNACK FOOD

12. I am a technical recruiter and I amseeking a Visual Basic programmer who can also

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software