Chapter 16 of Visual Basic Game Programmer Tutorial is online
Author Message
 Chapter 16 of Visual Basic Game Programmer Tutorial is online

After a long hiatus, Chapter 16 (attacking part 1) of my Visual Basic Game
Programmer tutorial is now online at my homepage http://www.*-*-*.com/

This tutorial is for the novice VB programmer who has mastered a few basics
and wants to try programming a game, but is unsure how/where to start. The
tutorial covers the creation of a tile-based Role Playing Game (like Zelda
or early Ultima's and Might and Magic's). Also included is an appendix
covering tricky VB concepts such as variable scope, API calls and more. It
shows actual code being created and concepts of why and actual
bug-fixing...follow along as it takes shape! I also have source code
available for download.

Chapters already finished include:

1. Introduction
2. Data Structures - defining variables to make programming easier
3. Getting It Up and Running - making it DO something
4. Creating Things - object/monster creation utilities
5. Building a Map - generating random mazes
6. Filling the Map Array - going from a maze to a "map"
7. Creating Graphics - specific graphic types make the job easier
8. Drawing Graphics - getting the graphics on the screen with API calls
9. Dealing with Windows - multiple resolutions, resizing, taskbar, etc.
10. Walking Around - the hero moves!
11. Picking Up Objects - inventory and the hero screen
12. More Objects - doing something with objects
13. Warping and Evolving Objects - teleporters and automatic changers
14. Monsters - giving the monsters some personality.
15. Monsters Move - making them move on/off screen, towards/away from hero
16.Attacking - when to attack, handling the call appropriately.

Coming soon:
17. Attacking part 2  - new source code will be uploaded after this chapter
is done.
19. Making the Graphics better
20. Creating a "Quest"

Mark

--
Visit Starship Butler at http://www.*-*-*.com/  for original content on
games and Game Programming, Conan, Doc Savage, Comics, original fiction,

Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Chapter 16 of Visual Basic Game Programmer Tutorial is online

into games, but am interested in how they are programmed.  I have no
knowledge on the matter.

Regards,
Mac

Quote:
> After a long hiatus, Chapter 16 (attacking part 1) of my Visual Basic Game
> Programmer tutorial is now online at my homepage http://markbutler.8m.com

> This tutorial is for the novice VB programmer who has mastered a few
basics
> and wants to try programming a game, but is unsure how/where to start. The
> tutorial covers the creation of a tile-based Role Playing Game (like Zelda
> or early Ultima's and Might and Magic's). Also included is an appendix
> covering tricky VB concepts such as variable scope, API calls and more. It
> shows actual code being created and concepts of why and actual
> bug-fixing...follow along as it takes shape! I also have source code
> available for download.

> Chapters already finished include:

> 1. Introduction
> 2. Data Structures - defining variables to make programming easier
> 3. Getting It Up and Running - making it DO something
> 4. Creating Things - object/monster creation utilities
> 5. Building a Map - generating random mazes
> 6. Filling the Map Array - going from a maze to a "map"
> 7. Creating Graphics - specific graphic types make the job easier
> 8. Drawing Graphics - getting the graphics on the screen with API calls
> 9. Dealing with Windows - multiple resolutions, resizing, taskbar, etc.
> 10. Walking Around - the hero moves!
> 11. Picking Up Objects - inventory and the hero screen
> 12. More Objects - doing something with objects
> 13. Warping and Evolving Objects - teleporters and automatic changers
> 14. Monsters - giving the monsters some personality.
> 15. Monsters Move - making them move on/off screen, towards/away from hero
> 16.Attacking - when to attack, handling the call appropriately.

> Coming soon:
> 17. Attacking part 2  - new source code will be uploaded after this
chapter
> is done.
> 19. Making the Graphics better
> 20. Creating a "Quest"

> Mark

> --
> Visit Starship Butler at http://markbutler.8m.com  for original content on
> games and Game Programming, Conan, Doc Savage, Comics, original fiction,
> haunted garage, 3d animated gif's and more

Tue, 30 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Chapter 16 of Visual Basic Game Programmer Tutorial is online

2. Chapter 13 of Visual Basic Game Programmer Tutorial is online

3. Chapter 19 of Visual Basic Game Programmer Tutorial is now online

4. Chapter 18 of Visual Basic Game Programmer Tutorial is online

5. Chapter 17 of Visual Basic Game Programmer Tutorial is online

6. Chapter 17 of Visual Basic Game Programmer Tutorial is online

7. Chapter 18 of Visual Basic Game Programmer Tutorial is online

8. Chapter 19 of Visual Basic Game Programmer Tutorial is now online

9. ANNOUNCE: Chapter 15 of Visual Basic Game Programmers Tutorial is online

10. Chapter 13 of Visual Basic Game Programmer Tutorial is online

11. Chapter 9 of Visual Basic Game Programmers Tutorial online

12. Chapter 8 of Visual Basic Game Programming tutorial online