Seeking advice on modem-control the other way around.
Author Message
 Seeking advice on modem-control the other way around.

Seeking advice on modem-control the other way around.

Hi All,

As an amateur Basic-programmer I would like to put the following question to
the Forum.
First of all, I am not a native English speaking person, so excuses for any
language
failures in advance!

As fireman in our Volunteer-Firebrigade I am being confronted with the
following problem.
We cann't (legally) guarantee that all the people who carry  a pager
actually show up on a shout.
Of course there is a strong commitment but nevertheless.

So I suggested a solution for which I now seek advice. I would like to use a
pc with a kind of
modem-board that has the possibility of detecting dial-tone's after the
connection is made.
The idea is that somebody dials up the pc-modem and then still on the phone,
keys in an ID-code
followed by a 1 or a 0.
1:  For I'm available,   0:  For I don't have the opportunity to respond
right now,  2 for.etc.
When there is a critical shortage the dedicated-pc then responds with a
warning.

I follow the newsgroup for quite a long time now but I never saw a solution
in this direction.
There is the challange !

Basic programming is not a problem for me but I don't have a clue how to
tackle this particular
hardware problem.
Any tips, suggestions etc are welcome !  Preferably for old-fashioned
QBasic, otherwise it's a good
reason for me to take on VisualBasic.
Many thanks in advance and take care,
Bert.

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 21:26:28 GMT
 Seeking advice on modem-control the other way around.

I don't know if my knowledge has been made obsolete by recent hardware
advances, but a few years ago I'd have suggested that what you should
be looking for is a touchtone decoder (not "dial tones") addon
board/unit for your PC.

Maybe someone has incorporated this feature into a moden board or
standalone modem - I don't know.  Do a web search on this " touchtone
decoder" and see what you get.

Whatever you get, you will then most likely have to do some
programming to operate the board and process the responses.  This will
most likely be easiest done in basic, but will of course depend on the
touchtone decoder hardware you actually find.

Maybe some manufacturer now has a low cost PC addon board which is
specifically made to handle 2 way interaction with pagers - dunno.

If so, you can get someone (here?) to help you make you a program that
does all the work of dialling and sending the messages to the pagers,
and handling the calls back, computing the results and redialling with
more urgent codes if response is too low.

Start with a web search for the key words above.
==========================

Quote:
>Seeking advice on modem-control the other way around.
>Hi All,
>As an amateur Basic-programmer I would like to put the following question to
>the Forum.
>First of all, I am not a native English speaking person, so excuses for any
>language
>failures in advance!
>As fireman in our Volunteer-Firebrigade I am being confronted with the
>following problem.
>We cann't (legally) guarantee that all the people who carry  a pager
>actually show up on a shout.
>Of course there is a strong commitment but nevertheless.
>So I suggested a solution for which I now seek advice. I would like to use a
>pc with a kind of
>modem-board that has the possibility of detecting dial-tone's after the
>connection is made.
>The idea is that somebody dials up the pc-modem and then still on the phone,
>keys in an ID-code
>followed by a 1 or a 0.
>1:  For I'm available,   0:  For I don't have the opportunity to respond
>right now,  2 for.etc.
>When there is a critical shortage the dedicated-pc then responds with a
>warning.
>I follow the newsgroup for quite a long time now but I never saw a solution
>in this direction.
>There is the challange !
>Basic programming is not a problem for me but I don't have a clue how to
>tackle this particular
>hardware problem.
>Any tips, suggestions etc are welcome !  Preferably for old-fashioned
>QBasic, otherwise it's a good
>reason for me to take on VisualBasic.
>Many thanks in advance and take care,
>Bert.

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:39:39 GMT
 Seeking advice on modem-control the other way around.

Quote:
> So I suggested a solution for which I now seek advice. I would like to use
> pc with a kind of
> modem-board that has the possibility of detecting dial-tone's after the
> connection is made.
> The idea is that somebody dials up the pc-modem and then still on the
phone,
> keys in an ID-code
> followed by a 1 or a 0.

I well know these company support lines where you can choose by typing a
number key. The problems:

1.) You probably need a special hardware which allows you to analyze these
dialtones from the sound signal => normal analog modem is not sufficient.

2.) Especially in Europe like you and me, many people use ISDN phone lines
with digital phones so such menus won't work.

             Andreas

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:40:00 GMT
 Seeking advice on modem-control the other way around.

Quote:

>> So I suggested a solution for which I now seek advice. I would like to use
>> pc with a kind of
>> modem-board that has the possibility of detecting dial-tone's after the
>> connection is made.
>> The idea is that somebody dials up the pc-modem and then still on the
>phone,
>> keys in an ID-code
>> followed by a 1 or a 0.
>I well know these company support lines where you can choose by typing a
>number key. The problems:
>1.) You probably need a special hardware which allows you to analyze
>these dialtones from the sound signal => normal analog modem is not
>sufficient.
>2.) Especially in Europe like you and me, many people use ISDN phone
>lines with digital phones so such menus won't work.
>             Andreas

I don't know about working in Europe or with ISDN lines, but what you're
looking for is called a voice/data modem with DTMF detection.  I think all
Xyzel models still have this.  It's kind of an older feature - most mid to
upper class modems made before the advent of 'winmodems' had it, but I
think it's mostly been dropped - neat feature that no one ever did
anything with.  Another alternative source would be any company that makes
commercial voice-mail systems, such as Nitsuko.  The interface card that
sits between the PBX and the VM computer is usually just such a modem.

Mike-

              My web page is at http://www.*-*-*.com/

          Because network administration is like herding cats.
It is currently impossible to email me from any address in the domains:
     mailcity.com, hotmail.com, e{*filter*}.com, yahoo.com, hotbot.com

              Mail sent from Microsoft Outlook will also be filtered.

Spam and viruses are surplus to my needs.  Sorry for the inconvenience.
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!  ==-----

Wed, 07 Jul 2004 04:26:10 GMT

1. Advice sought - putting VB active x control in c++ gui

2. Transaction trouble around Exchange and others

3. Advice sought on converting / upgrading controls to vb6

4. Seeking help on WinFaxPro and DLL's for fax modem control

5. I am custom Traverse97 Programmer, seeking others.

6. Any ways to make focus on Label control like focus in button control

7. "Modular programming" advice sought

8. General Design Question- Advice sought.

9. Seeking advice about looping code in VB.

10. Seeking Advice on Outlook Development

11. Seeking advice

12. Seeks Advice on VBA Literature.