Syllogism Software Here
Author Message
 Syllogism Software Here

Syllogism
Webster's: 1. a deductive scheme of a formal argument
consisting of a major and a minor premise and a conclusion (as 'every
virtue is laudable; kindness is a virtue; therefore, kindness is
laudable') 2. a subtle, specious, or crafty argument 3. deductive
reasoning

To use Syllogism, enter a syllogism, one line at a time, and
then test conclusions or ask the program to draw a conclusion. A
syllogism as (mis)defined here is a (possibly empty) set of numbered
premises. No term may occur more than twice. Exactly two terms must
occur exactly once: these are the two 'end' terms, which will appear in
the conclusion. Furthermore, each premise must have exactly one term in
common with its successor, for some ordering of the premises. Example10
Socrates is a Greek20 All men are mortal30 All Greeks are men40 No gods
are mortal Syllogism will draw a conclusion from such a list, if
possible, or test a conclusion of yours. Reference: H. Gensler, 'A
Simplified Decision Procedure for Categorical Syllogisms,' Notre Dame J
of Formal Logic 14 (1973) 457-466

Syllogism was written by Richard
Sharvy in 1987 or so (he died in 1988). It is written in generic BASIC.
I came across a cheapo BASIC compiler for the Mac (Microsoft QuickBasic)
a few years later, and compiled the source code as is. The interface
style of that Mac application is strict terminal emulation. The source
code should be compilable by any BASIC compiler, regardless of platform.
Download: Syllogism Mac application or source code.

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~bsharvy/crunchy.html

--
Burn the flag online | Can Men Be {*filter*}s?
    http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~bsharvy/

*Remove "NOSPAM" from email to earn $100,000 from home reading books.

Sun, 15 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Syllogism Software Here

Quote:

>Date: Wed, Apr 29, 1998 02:45 EDT

>Syllogism
>Webster's: 1. a deductive scheme of a formal argument
>consisting of a major and a minor premise and a conclusion (as 'every
>virtue is laudable; kindness is a virtue; therefore, kindness is
>laudable') 2. a subtle, specious, or crafty argument 3. deductive
>reasoning

Forgive the out of place placement of this, but I recieved an e-mail just today
that is a perfect followup to this. Those of you with no sense of humor may
with to click the delete button now.
****************************
Subj:    FWD>Deductive Reasoning
Date:   98-04-07 13:12:55 EDT

Mail*Link SMTP               FWD>Deductive Reasoning

--------------------------------------
Date: 4/7/98 11:03 AM
From: JFS

Neighbor 1:  "Hi, there, new neighbor, it sure is a nice day to be moving"

New Neighbor:  "Yes, it is and people around here seem extremely friendly"

Neighbor 1:  "So what is it you do for a living?"

New Neighbor:  "I am a professor at the University, I teach deductive
reasoning"

Neighbor 1:  "Deductive reasoning, what is that?

New Neighbor:  "Let me give you and example.  I see you have             a dog
house out
          back.  By that I deduce that you have a dog."

Neighbor 1:  "That is right"

New Neighbor:  "The fact that you have a dog,
          Leads me to deduce that you have a family.

Neighbor 1:  "Right again"

New Neighbor:  "Since you have a family I deduce that you have           a
wife"

Neighbor 1:  "Correct"

New Neighbor:  "And since you have a wife, I can deduce that           you are
hetero{*filter*}"

Neighbor 1:  "Yup"

New Neighbor:  "That is deductive reasoning"

Neighbor 1:  "Cool"

Later that same day

Neighbor 1:  "Hey, I was talking to that new guy who moved in      next door"

Neighbor 2:  "Is he a nice guy?"

Neighbor 1:  "Yes, and he has an interesting job"

Neighbor 2:  "Oh, yeah what does he do?"

Neighbor 1:  "He is a professor of deductive reasoning at the University"

Neighbor 2:  "Deductive reasoning, what is that"

Neighbor 1:  "Let me give you an example.  Do you have a dog house?"

Neighbor 2:  "No"

Neighbor 1: "Fag."

Sun, 22 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. project design software , compare website design software , web developers , website design software review , nof shop , software quality , nof 7.5 , bestellen preisvergleich , web site design , custom web design ,

2. Free Software From Day and Age Software

3. Free QBasic Software from Day and Age Software

4. Software licenses of installed software

5. Look for software for software protection

6. Software Testing – Software Development Tools

7. Subject: check out free internet software to publish any odbc database information ??Subject: check out free internet software to publish any odbc database information ??

8. Distributing Forms & Software Updates

9. Opportunity for programmers & software developers

10. Is there diagnostic software for access mdb?

11. 24 digit software lock codes...

12. Evaluation Time Lock on Custom Access Software Projects