QuickBasic data aquisition
Author Message
 QuickBasic data aquisition

Hi,

I am modifying a program which someone else has written (using
QuickBasic 4.5.)  The program currently reads data from a 16 channel ADC
card (Arcom PCA/D12/16H), but only from the first 4 channels.  I need to
modify the program so that it reads from the first 8 channels.  The data
is available for 12.75uS and 400 samples are needed at a time.  I have
done this succesfully but it only works on a pentium, this must be
changed because the program must run on a 486, I believe that this is
because the data is only available for 12.75uS and that basic is not
fast enough to read all channels in time.  The data is read by using a
pointer at the card's base address to set the mode, the next address is
used for various options for the current mode, and the next two
addresses are the data.  To read the data the pointer must be set to a
specific value, the options address set to the channel number and the
data read.  I have got this to the least amount of lines that I can but
a 486 is still not fast enough to read eight channels in 12.75uS.  Does
anyone know of any way to read faster? can you insert assembler or C
code into a quickbasic program? (I cannot look in the manuals because
they are currently in Australia and I am in the UK!)  Another idea I had
was to write a stand alone C program which will read the data and store
it on disk, then to run this program from within quickbasic.  The option
of rewriting the program in another language is not possible becuase I
do not have the time (this is only part of a larger program.)

Thanks for any help you can give

--
Mark Dyball

Mon, 04 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 QuickBasic data aquisition

Quote:

>Hi,

>I am modifying a program which someone else has written (using
>QuickBasic 4.5.)  The program currently reads data from a 16 channel
ADC
>card (Arcom PCA/D12/16H), but only from the first 4 channels.  I need
>modify the program so that it reads from the first 8 channels.  The
data
>is available for 12.75uS and 400 samples are needed at a time.  I have

12.75uS is a bit quick for QB on a 486, I believe.  An assembler or
C function that is callable from your QB program is one answer.  You
could also set up a mini-server, if you've got access to two computers
and netware lite or lantastic.  Have a C program reading the A/D
converter and storing it on disk for the QB program to read at its
leisure.

Here are the instructions for accessing ASM or C routines from QB:

1.  Compile it to an .OBJ file
2.  Use the LINK program that comes with QB to put the .OBJ into a
    Quick Library.
3.  Load the Quick Library when you run QB by using the /l LIBNAME
    command line switch.
4.  If you have any other QB routines you want to put in the library
    too, load them and create a new Quick Lib, giving you a .QLB file
    with all your routines at hand.

Wed, 13 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. real time data aquisition

2. VB and data aquisition via the serial port

3. Need help with Data Aquisition

4. Data Aquisition Help Needed

5. converting quickbasic code to ascii, or vb, or anything besides quickbasic

6. Quickbasic 2 data files - convert to ascii

7. QuickBasic 4.5 app need to convert to VB.net

8. Data-bound Masked Edit makes all data-bound controls not display data

9. QuickBasic programming help?

10. QuickBasic and Windows XP

11. QuickBasic 7.1

12. QuickBasic decompiler ?