GWBASIC - HELP NEEDED - FOLLOW-UP
Author Message
 GWBASIC - HELP NEEDED - FOLLOW-UP

Hi everybody!

There seems to have been a wild debate raging about whether
double-precision and "unprinted decimal positions" are really warranted.

They are for several reasons:

- For reasons of pure and simple mathematical accuracy, it is always safer
to round figures up/down at the latest possible stage.

- There is worldwide agreement on this subject especially in the finance,
accounting and business world.

- This is even part of the official European Commission recommendations
regarding the introduction of the new Euro currency.

- the old GWBASIC.EXE uses the *native* MBF format for figures
instead of the IEEE 754 standard like QBASIC.EXE does.
The old *native* MBF format is less accurate and makes it necessary
to be extra careful with figures processed through GWBASIC programs.
GWBasic uses binary representation of numbers internally,
and the results of each operation is rounded.
This can cause some unexpected results.
GWBasic does not do as good a job of controlling round-off
as newer programs like QBasic or QuickBasic.
So to minimize the risk of random inaccurate results in GWBASIC,
double-precision is often warranted where it would not be in more
recent languages.

If you want technical details about this, go to
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thanks to all who replied to my post about GWBASIC 64K memory limitation
and subsequent problems. I think I am going to take the plunge and try to
port the whole module to QBasic.

Greetings to all,
Robert

Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:07:08 GMT
 GWBASIC - HELP NEEDED - FOLLOW-UP
rounding, especially when it concerns somebody "wealth", is critical to your success.

pay attention to making sure the very least impact occurs to the true actual values you are handling.

many a financial institution has garnered millions of currency/dollars of "free" profit merely by rounding a fraction of a cent from
multiple accounts one way or the other.

dont be fooled by what seems to be an insignificant amount of error, it can and will add up over consecutive and subsequent
calculations.

--
best regards,
hapticz

Quote:
>X(sign here)____________________________________________<

|Hi everybody!
|
|There seems to have been a wild debate raging about whether
|double-precision and "unprinted decimal positions" are really warranted.
|
|They are for several reasons:

|- For reasons of pure and simple mathematical accuracy, it is always safer
|to round figures up/down at the latest possible stage.

|- There is worldwide agreement on this subject especially in the finance,
|accounting and business world.

|- This is even part of the official European Commission recommendations
|regarding the introduction of the new Euro currency.

|- the old GWBASIC.EXE uses the *native* MBF format for figures
|instead of the IEEE 754 standard like QBASIC.EXE does.
|The old *native* MBF format is less accurate and makes it necessary
|to be extra careful with figures processed through GWBASIC programs.
|GWBasic uses binary representation of numbers internally,
|and the results of each operation is rounded.
|This can cause some unexpected results.
|GWBasic does not do as good a job of controlling round-off
|as newer programs like QBasic or QuickBasic.
|So to minimize the risk of random inaccurate results in GWBASIC,
|double-precision is often warranted where it would not be in more
|recent languages.
|
|If you want technical details about this, go to
|http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q42/9/80.ASP.
|
|Thanks to all who replied to my post about GWBASIC 64K memory limitation
|and subsequent problems. I think I am going to take the plunge and try to
|port the whole module to QBasic.
|
|Greetings to all,
|Robert

Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:45:19 GMT

1. Help need GWBASIC interpretation

2. need help randomizing on GWBASIC

3. HELP : I REALLY NEED GWBASIC.COM

4. need help for gwbasic

5. Help Needed -- GWBASIC unprotect?

6. Need help compiling gwbasic/qbasic code

7. Doorst: need help with GWBASIC/QBASIC

8. GWBASIC PROBLEM - HELP NEEDED

9. I need some help with the following procedures

10. GWBASIC (1/1) - gwbasic.zip [2/2]

11. GWBASIC (1/1) - gwbasic.zip [1/2]

12. GWBASIC HELP HELP