Help: Why does updating occur in the form created by the VB Data Forms Wizard even when I don't want it to?
Author Message
 Help: Why does updating occur in the form created by the VB Data Forms Wizard even when I don't want it to?

Using the VB Data Forms Wizard in VB5, I've created a form with a dozen
fields in it; 6 from Table A and 6 from Table B. The code just places a data
control on the form, points all the text boxes towards this control as their
data source, and throws add, delete, refresh, update, and close buttons on.
I'm sure everyone has played with this feature when doing their first
database application.

Standard fare, but I have a problem with this, for if I type anything into a
text box or modify the contents of a text box, the field in the underlying
table gets updated automatically, without needing to press the update
button. Closing the form and re-opening it, or exiting the application and
looking at the database with some other method, and there is the new data.
This is not good, as I want to have to press the update button to update,
not just have it siphon in as soon as I type.

Is there a fix for this? I've looked at some sample applications done the
same way, and they all suffer the same problem: the update button is
redundant and the data in the underlying tables is modified live.
--
Win95 Error: 079 Mouse not found - A mouse driver has not been installed. Please click the left mouse button to continue.
Plexus Technologies Pty. Limited. Electronics Consulting, Research & Development.

Fri, 15 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: Why does updating occur in the form created by the VB Data Forms Wizard even when I don't want it to?

That's what it means when it says the text boxes are bound to the data, it
goes both ways. You could have them not bound, then cycle through each text
box and put their values into the database when the user clicks on the
update button. The update button is normally for multi-user apps to see any
changes another user has made.

Quote:

>Using the VB Data Forms Wizard in VB5, I've created a form with a dozen
>fields in it; 6 from Table A and 6 from Table B. The code just places a
data
>control on the form, points all the text boxes towards this control as
their
>data source, and throws add, delete, refresh, update, and close buttons on.
>I'm sure everyone has played with this feature when doing their first
>database application.

>Standard fare, but I have a problem with this, for if I type anything into
>text box or modify the contents of a text box, the field in the underlying
>table gets updated automatically, without needing to press the update
>button. Closing the form and re-opening it, or exiting the application and
>looking at the database with some other method, and there is the new data.
>This is not good, as I want to have to press the update button to update,
>not just have it siphon in as soon as I type.

>Is there a fix for this? I've looked at some sample applications done the
>same way, and they all suffer the same problem: the update button is
>redundant and the data in the underlying tables is modified live.
>--
>Win95 Error: 079 Mouse not found - A mouse driver has not been installed.

Please click the left mouse button to continue.

-
>Plexus Technologies Pty. Limited. Electronics Consulting, Research &
Development.
>http://www.plexus-technologies.com
>Mobile: +61 (0)411 470 880
>ICQ: 719010

Fri, 15 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: Why does updating occur in the form created by the VB Data Forms Wizard even when I don't want it to?

Buy a book before starting in this manner!

These datacontrols behave this way because you haven't learned to suppress
this behaviour yet!

(Validate event, UpdateControls)

Dean Malandris heeft geschreven in bericht

Quote:
>Using the VB Data Forms Wizard in VB5, I've created a form with a dozen
>fields in it; 6 from Table A and 6 from Table B. The code just places a
data
>control on the form, points all the text boxes towards this control as
their
>data source, and throws add, delete, refresh, update, and close buttons on.
>I'm sure everyone has played with this feature when doing their first
>database application.

>Standard fare, but I have a problem with this, for if I type anything into
>text box or modify the contents of a text box, the field in the underlying
>table gets updated automatically, without needing to press the update
>button. Closing the form and re-opening it, or exiting the application and
>looking at the database with some other method, and there is the new data.
>This is not good, as I want to have to press the update button to update,
>not just have it siphon in as soon as I type.

>Is there a fix for this? I've looked at some sample applications done the
>same way, and they all suffer the same problem: the update button is
>redundant and the data in the underlying tables is modified live.
>--
>Win95 Error: 079 Mouse not found - A mouse driver has not been installed.

Please click the left mouse button to continue.

-
>Plexus Technologies Pty. Limited. Electronics Consulting, Research &
Development.
>http://www.plexus-technologies.com
>Mobile: +61 (0)411 470 880
>ICQ: 719010

Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help: Why does updating occur in the form created by the VB Data Forms Wizard even when I don't want it to?

2. Help: Why does updating occur in the form created by the VB Data Forms Wizard even when I don't want it to?

3. Strange Behavior in Data Form Wizard created Form

4. Why won't form activate event occur?

5. Create custom control in form using code (code wizard adding ocx to form)

6. Data Form Wizard with Master/Detail Form-Layout

7. application wizard and data form wizard get fatal error when opening

8. Help - Can't Run Data Form Wizard

9. VB Data Form Wizard error

10. VB Data Form Wizard

11. VB Data Form Wizard