History of early MS/IBM BASIC compilers?
Author Message
 History of early MS/IBM BASIC compilers?

Can anyone add to the history on http://www.*-*-*.com/
I'm especially stumped inf finding info on early MS (not Quick) BASIC
compilers, PDS 6.0 and earlier, and MS Business BASIC.
Thanks!

Wed, 01 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 History of early MS/IBM BASIC compilers?

Quote:
>Can anyone add to the history on http://www.emsps.com/oldtools/msbasv.htm ?
>I'm especially stumped inf finding info on early MS (not Quick) BASIC
>compilers, PDS 6.0 and earlier, ...

The very first Microsoft BASIC was the Altair BASIC interpreter.  It ran in 4
kilobytes (that's not a typo; *kilibytes*) on the Altair 8800, which was based
on the Intel 8080A processor.  There was no operating system outside the
interpreter, and the term "personal computer" had not been coined.  Versions of
this interpreter were sold with various 8-bit computers, most notably the Radio
Shack TRS-80.  Eventually, microcomputer memories got big enough to run a
rudimentary disk operating system, Gary Kildall's "Control Program for
Microcomputers", CP/M.  CP/M became the standard O/S for the 8080 / Z80 / 8085
generation of computers, except for Radio Shack systems, which had their own
TRS-DOS and s succession of third-party replacements.  With floppy disk
storage, a DOS and enough memory (64K!), Microsoft developed the first Bascom
compiler, which went through several revisions before IBM woke up and blew the
eight-bit systems into history.

At the same time, Apple had commissioned Microsoft to write Applesoft,  a BASIC
interpreter for the Apple II, to replace the limited Apple Integer BASIC.  The
Apple II was an eight-bit system, but based on a different processor, the 6502.
 Other companies, such as Commodore, adopted this processor and licensed
Microsoft's 6502 BASIC, but wrote their own operating systems, as did Apple.

The interpreter in the ROMs of the Z80-based TRS-80 systems was, IIRC, based on
Microsoft BASIC 4.5.  There was a *lot* of small - computer history before the
IBM 5150.

--------------
If it's spam, it's a scam.  Don't do business with Net abusers.

Thu, 02 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 History of early MS/IBM BASIC compilers?

[snip]

Quote:
>The interpreter in the ROMs of the Z80-based TRS-80 systems was, IIRC,
>based on Microsoft BASIC 4.5.  [...]

I assume that "4.5" is NOT referring to QuickBasic 4.5?

Cheers,  Ian S.

Thu, 02 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 History of early MS/IBM BASIC compilers?

Hi all
I've gathered some info in the Microsoft KB

Quote:
> After 4.5 There was:

According to Microsoft's KB, QB 4.5 was realeased first as a Pro
package, with the manual in a binder
After PDS appeared, QB4.5 was released as a "learning" edition, the
manual was the inline help.
The KB speaks also of a QBI  interpreter or Educational Version, I
suspect this was the QBasic 1.0
that finally substituted GWBasic in DOS 5.0.
Quote:
> MS Basic 6.0 - I think compiler only
> MS PDS 7.0 - IDE like 4.5, supported O/S2 also
> MS PDS 7.1
> MS VBDOS 1.0 - Support for O/S2 dropped
> MS VB 1.0
> MS VB 2.0
> MS VB 3.0
> MS VB 4.0
> MS VB 5.0
> MS VB 6.0

>  --
> arargh   (at enteract period com)             http://www.arargh.com
> (Reply address points nowhere in an attempt to foil e-mail spammers.)

Thu, 02 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 History of early MS/IBM BASIC compilers?

Quote:

> [snip]
> >The interpreter in the ROMs of the Z80-based TRS-80 systems was, IIRC,
> >based on Microsoft BASIC 4.5.  [...]

> I assume that "4.5" is NOT referring to QuickBasic 4.5?

My first microcomputer, a Nascom II, had an 8K Microsoft BASIC interpreter
ROM.  This was indeed numbered version 4, and existed a few years before
QuickBASIC was devised.  In fact, as I remember, the Microsoft BASIC
interpreter for CP/M was MBASIC 5.  I'm fairly sure that this is the reason
why the PDS compilers came out in versions 6 and 7.  Microsoft only
restarted the version numbering for QuickBASIC, not for their 'Professional'
compilers.

Cheers

Derek

Thu, 02 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 History of early MS/IBM BASIC compilers?

Quote:
>>Can anyone add to the history on http://www.emsps.com/oldtools/msbasv.htm ?
>>I'm especially stumped inf finding info on early MS (not Quick) BASIC
>>compilers, PDS 6.0 and earlier, ...

>The very first Microsoft BASIC was the Altair BASIC interpreter.  It ran in 4
>kilobytes (that's not a typo; *kilibytes*) on the Altair 8800, which was based
>on the Intel 8080A processor.  There was no operating system outside the
>interpreter, and the term "personal computer" had not been coined.  Versions of
>this interpreter were sold with various 8-bit computers, most notably the Radio
>Shack TRS-80.  Eventually, microcomputer memories got big enough to run a
>rudimentary disk operating system, Gary Kildall's "Control Program for
>Microcomputers", CP/M.  CP/M became the standard O/S for the 8080 / Z80 / 8085
>generation of computers, except for Radio Shack systems, which had their own
>TRS-DOS and s succession of third-party replacements.  With floppy disk
>storage, a DOS and enough memory (64K!), Microsoft developed the first Bascom
>compiler, which went through several revisions before IBM woke up and blew the
>eight-bit systems into history.

>At the same time, Apple had commissioned Microsoft to write Applesoft,  a BASIC
>interpreter for the Apple II, to replace the limited Apple Integer BASIC.  The
>Apple II was an eight-bit system, but based on a different processor, the 6502.
> Other companies, such as Commodore, adopted this processor and licensed
>Microsoft's 6502 BASIC, but wrote their own operating systems, as did Apple.

>The interpreter in the ROMs of the Z80-based TRS-80 systems was, IIRC, based on
>Microsoft BASIC 4.5.  There was a *lot* of small - computer history before the
>IBM 5150.

Very true.  Before 'Micro Computers', there were  Mini Computers', not
to mention 'Main Frames' and some of the Mini systems ran assorted
versions of basic.  I still have customers that run software derived
from the old mini computer basic, now running on a PC, of course.

 --
arargh   (at enteract period com)             http://www.arargh.com
(Reply address points nowhere in an attempt to foil e-mail spammers.)

Thu, 02 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 History of early MS/IBM BASIC compilers?

Quote:

> MS PDS 7.1
> MS VBDOS 1.0 - Support for O/S2 dropped
> MS VB 1.0

Actually, VBDOS 1.0 appeared after VB-WIN 1.0.

--
?SALUDOS desde Mxico!

A. David Garza Marn
GMD MicroSistemas
MSDN RD
adgarza arroba spin punto com punto mx
adgarza at spin dot com dot mx
http://spin.com.mx/adgarza

Sat, 04 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 History of early MS/IBM BASIC compilers?

Quote:

>> [snip]
>> >The interpreter in the ROMs of the Z80-based TRS-80 systems was, IIRC,
>> >based on Microsoft BASIC 4.5.  [...]

>> I assume that "4.5" is NOT referring to QuickBasic 4.5?

>My first microcomputer, a Nascom II, had an 8K Microsoft BASIC interpreter
>ROM.  This was indeed numbered version 4, and existed a few years before
>QuickBASIC was devised.  In fact, as I remember, the Microsoft BASIC
>interpreter for CP/M was MBASIC 5.  I'm fairly sure that this is the reason
>why the PDS compilers came out in versions 6 and 7.  Microsoft only
>restarted the version numbering for QuickBASIC, not for their 'Professional'
>compilers.

Thank you for the detail.  I was curious about this because I had my
(2nd hand) TRS-80 some years before I saw QuickBASIC 4.0 on the market.
QB 4.5 was released fairly soon after 4.0 IIRC, then that line seemed
to die out.  I got my copy of PDS 6.0 as a "special offer" in May 1990,
which enabled me to upgrade cost effectively to 7.10 three months later.

Cheers,  Ian S.

Sun, 05 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. IBM Basic Compiler 1.0 command line switches

2. Basic Compiler IBM PC (1985) - Seeking Help

3. MMX and IBM Basic compiler 2.00 does not CHAIN

4. IBM Basic Compiler

5. Compiler switches for MS Basic Compiler 5.35

6. Braindeadedness in early MS-BASIC (was Re: Why I will never trust MicroSquish products for security)

7. IBM to clone VB, Delphi is history !

8. IBM to clone VB, Delphi is history !

9. Newer MS Basic Compiler 7.1?

10. Compiler for MS-Dos Q-basic

11. MS Basic Compiler V7.10 and /MBF option on Win/NT

12. Conflict between Novell NetBIOS and MS Basic Compiler 7.0