Help! GWB/QB Memory problems
Author Message
 Help! GWB/QB Memory problems

Hi, thanks for reading this.

I am a fairly novice programmer trying to write a database for a club.
Unfortunately, the only version of Basic I know is GW-BASIC (or QBASIC)
and the database I am trying to compile is about 1,000+ names by 10+
fields.

Despite having 16MB memory on my computer I am totally frustrated that
GWB only allows me to use about 60K on one program.  (I'm sure this is
a common complaint but it really annoys me all the same!)

My main question is:

Does there exist a version of Basic very similar to GW/Q which will allow
me to use a lot more memory so I can load all these fields into the memory
at once?  Or is there a trick that can be used to free up more memory?

Secondly:

Is there a PD/buyable compiler easily available for GWB/QB to allow me
to produce executable files?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Cheers
Paul
Paul Golder
117 Passingham Ave,
Billericay CM11 2TA, UK
01277 633339
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 23 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help! GWB/QB Memory problems

Quote:

> My main question is:

> Does there exist a version of Basic very similar to GW/Q which will allow
> me to use a lot more memory so I can load all these fields into the memory
> at once?  Or is there a trick that can be used to free up more memory?

Well, powerbasic (I think) gives unlimited access to dynamically allocated
memory.

Quote:
> Secondly:

> Is there a PD/buyable compiler easily available for GWB/QB to allow me
> to produce executable files?

Again, PowerBASIC should be mostly compatable.  No guarantees, and no, I'm not
a salesman for 'em. ;)

+-----------------------------------+

|-----------------------------------|
|   http://www.dtx.net/~leger/      |
+-----------------------------------+-------+
|VISIT THE BULLETIN BOARD SEARCH ENGINE!    |
|       http://www.dtx.net/~leger/bbs.html  |
|17,680 BBSes indexed in the United States! |

Mon, 25 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help! GWB/QB Memory problems

 Hi, thanks for reading this.

 I am a fairly novice programmer trying to write a database for a club.
 Unfortunately, the only version of Basic I know is GW-BASIC (or QBASIC)
 and the database I am trying to compile is about 1,000+ names by 10+
 fields.

 Despite having 16MB memory on my computer I am totally frustrated that
 GWB only allows me to use about 60K on one program.  (I'm sure this is
 a common complaint but it really annoys me all the same!)

 My question is:

 Does there exist a version of Basic very similar to GW/Q which will allow
 me to use a lot more memory so I can load all these fields into the memory
 at once?  Or is there a trick that can be used to free up more memory?

 *   (I've been told Power Basic does this - can anyone say this is true
 *   for certain?)

 Any help greatly appreciated!
 Cheers
 Paul

 Paul Golder
 117 Passingham Ave,
 Billericay CM11 2TA, UK
 01277 633339
 http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/5056

Paul Golder

Fri, 29 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Memory settings for QB running in Win95?

2. Memory Resident QB

3. gwb 2 vb serial comms

4. OLE Automation Problems - MEMORY HOG (Memory Leak?)

5. QB 4.0 Docs/QB 4.5 Wanted

6. QB.QLB & QB.LIB

7. New Navigational site for QB + QB Encyclopedia

8. want QB 4.5 QB 7.1 FOR FREE!!!

9. QB4.5 dimensioning/memory problem, help!

10. Where's QB.LIB in QB 4.5?

11. qb, quickbasic, or qb

12. Urgent Help Required - Memory Problem