QuickBasic screen modes
Author Message
 QuickBasic screen modes

Hi,

I think I've seen the answer to this question here before, but don't
remember what the answer was :(.

I want to set up an 80x50 character, 64- or 256-colour, graphics-capable
screen mode.  Can anyone give me any advice?

TIA,

Derek Sorensen
--
: Bumblebee : Board, Tabletop and Play-By-Mail and eMail Games
:     Games : http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;- Free PBM rules

Sun, 15 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 QuickBasic screen modes

Quote:

> Hi,

> I think I've seen the answer to this question here before, but don't
> remember what the answer was :(.

> I want to set up an 80x50 character, 64- or 256-colour, graphics-capable
> screen mode.  Can anyone give me any advice?

> TIA,

> Derek Sorensen
> --
> : Bumblebee : Board, Tabletop and Play-By-Mail and eMail Games
> :     Games : http://www.tightbeam.com/bumblebee <- Free PBM rules

Try and find the actual screen mode number--then post the question again.

--
______________________________

Steven Sensarn

______________________________

Wed, 18 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 QuickBasic screen modes

Quote:

> More specifically - I don't care *what* mode it is, as long as it has:

>   *at least* 80x50 character text display
>   *at least* 64 colour graphics
>   *at least* 2 video pages
>   can support GET and PUT commands.

Slight problem. color modes come in the following progression:

colors  bits/pixel      pixels/byte
------  ----------      -----------
2       1               8
4       2               4
16      4               2
256     8               1

8, 32, 64 and 128 aren't used because you can't divide a 8-bit byte evenly
by 3,5,6 or 7.

So if you want more than 16 colors, you have to go all the way to 256.
80x50 text requires *at least* 640x400 resolution. That means that it
takes 256k for *one* page. That makes it a SuperVGA-only mode. And that
pretty much eliminates any hope of using GET and PUT.

BTW, if you did find a 64 color mode, that'd only reduce the RAM
required to 160k (5/8ths of a byte per pixel * 640*400)

Leonard Erickson (aka Shadow)

Sat, 21 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 QuickBasic screen modes

Quote:
> So if you want more than 16 colors, you have to go all the way to 256.
> 80x50 text requires *at least* 640x400 resolution. That means that it
> takes 256k for *one* page. That makes it a SuperVGA-only mode. And that
> pretty much eliminates any hope of using GET and PUT.

Leonard, thanks for the very clear explanation - I haven't had to dig
quite so deeply into the limitations of the PC hardware before, so this
was new to me.

I guess in that case I'll stick with the Zephyr library, and settle for
SVGA only.

Regards,

Derek Sorensen
--
: Bumblebee : Board, Tabletop and Play-By-Mail and eMail Games
:     Games : http://www.tightbeam.com/bumblebee <- Free PBM rules

Mon, 23 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. QBasic: putting total screen on disk when SCREEN-mode=13

2. MODE X in QuickBasic 4.5

3. animation over backgrounds + screen scrolling in quickbasic?

4. QuickBasic and Print Screen

5. page control in full screen mode

6. Full Screen Mode.

7. Having IE4 opening a new page in full screen mode

8. Help !!! with screen modes

9. Screen Modes?

10. Multiple pages in VGA screen modes

11. qbasic screen mode - increase number of rows

12. Background Colour in QBasic screen mode 12