Old Basic and Visual Basic: compatible?
Author Message
 Old Basic and Visual Basic: compatible?

How compatible is Visual Basic with earlier dialects of Basic (or should I say
BASIC?)?

I did quite a bit of BASIC programming in the early 80s and still have many of
the old .bas files. How much work is required to convert the old code?

I'm also interested in the history of how BASIC evolved into Visual Basic.
What is known publicly about this? Or is most of it behind a Microsoft
corperate shroud?

Murray Jorgensen,  Department of Statistics,

Hey! Look at this!
The survivors were the ones we had time to get the water to.
None of the eigh{*filter*} other variables that we recorded were significant.

Wed, 26 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Old Basic and Visual Basic: compatible?

Quote:

>How compatible is Visual Basic with earlier dialects of Basic (or should
>I say BASIC?)?

VBWin Is not very compatable at all, it is a completely different form
 of design called event driven programming which is closer to
 OO that Normal Basic, but not quite there.

Quote:
>I did quite a bit of BASIC programming in the early 80s and still have

many of the old .bas files. How much work is required to convert the old
code?

 Depends highly on which Basic you used in the 80's.

Quote:
>I'm also interested in the history of how BASIC evolved into Visual
>Basic. What is known publicly about this? Or is most of it behind a
> Microsoft corperate shroud?

 Basic did not evolve into Visual Basic. Microsoft DOS Basic developed
 into Visual Basic. Visual Basic was designed for easy programing
 under the WhenDoze OS. An intermeddiate steeping stone caled VBDOS
 was released which let you use QBASIC style code as well as the
 new event driven style. This has very minimal effect on Basic history
 since there are 1000's of other dialects of Basic.

 The two lagauges are somewhat similar, but not enough for me to consider
 thenm even remotely compatable. Several keywords act different, are not.
 present, or are used differently in he event style programming.
 VB relies heavily on the Windows API which will be knew to DOS
 programmers, ect. for more info, please use the comp.lang.basic.visual.*
 hierarchy as Visual Basic is off-topic here.

Wed, 26 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Old Basic and Visual Basic: compatible?

Quote:

>How compatible is Visual Basic with earlier dialects of Basic (or should I say
>BASIC?)?
>I did quite a bit of BASIC programming in the early 80s and still have many of
>the old .bas files. How much work is required to convert the old code?

Anything which has to do with printing or display on the screen is
radically different and will have to be totally rewritten.

Anything else CAN be imported into VB from previous Basics almost
without change. This is NOT the way VB is designed to work. The gospel
is that VB programming should be event driven rather than procedural
as the older Basics were.

But VB does just fine as a procedural language. Just put your code
into a code module (.bas file) rather than a form.

Thu, 27 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Old Basic and Visual Basic: compatible?

2. good old basic commands missing in visual basic?

3. How compatible is Visual Basic with QB 4.5?

4. visual basic: voice application : mwave compatible library

5. BETTER BASIC - old Basic Language Compiler

6. Looking for older versions of Visual Basic

7. Looking for older version of Visual Basic

8. Looking for older versions of Visual Basic program

9. Old QuickBasic to Visual Basic

10. Visual Basic (Old DOS version 1.0 !!!)

11. Looking for older version of Visual Basic

12. looking for old version of visual basic.