BASIC compiler written in BASIC yet?
Author Message
 BASIC compiler written in BASIC yet?

Anyone heard of a BASIC compiler for the PC written in BASIC?

I've looked over the BASM series, but it's lacking alot of advanced
features.

PB seems to be a good candidate for me to write a free GNU BASIC
compiler compatible with QB and PB.

Sort of an irony however.   What ever happened to Moonrock BASIC BTW?

Also, anyone do any head to head benchmarks and EXE size results for
say, QB4x, PDS7x, PB3x and GFA?

I have found QB/PDS faster for some recursive routines and programs
that make ALOT of sub calls. PB seems to do better at graphics and
applications that sue alot of disk IO. Also have a much nicer command
set and I LOVE the built in assembler.

Now to get v4.0 out that allows 32 bit output (like the final C
compilers all did/do), MMX (etc) assembly commands, VESA graphics,
inherent mouse commands, etc.

Dude

Thu, 12 Apr 2001 02:00:00 GMT
 BASIC compiler written in BASIC yet?

Quote:

>Anyone heard of a BASIC compiler for the PC written in BASIC?

>I've looked over the BASM series, but it's lacking alot of advanced
>features.

>PB seems to be a good candidate for me to write a free GNU BASIC
>compiler compatible with QB and PB.

Check out alt.lang.basic.compiler

Donald

Thu, 12 Apr 2001 02:00:00 GMT
 BASIC compiler written in BASIC yet?

Quote:

>If you consider the word "BULLSHIT" politically incorrect then perhaps
>you should consider getting out of politics ...

>> Anyone heard of a BASIC compiler for the PC written in BASIC?
>> I've looked over the BASM series, but it's lacking alot of advanced
>> features.

>I'm thinking of adding an advanced feature to BASM called a
>            >>>>  BULLSHIT GENERATOR    <<<<
>I'm going to model it using your newsgroup postings.

Nice to see you are open to opinions other than your own without
degrading yourself to profanity.

BASM, of course offers loop unrolling, loop optimizing, register
optimization, 386+ output, full graphics, multiple diminsioned arrays,
register parameter passing (instead of the much slower stack parameter
passes) and does not rely on any other packages to do the real work
(such as an assembler and linker writen by someone else).

Oops, nope. None of that.

Perhaps instead of such a proliferation of profanity, you might post
some benchmark comparisons?

Dude

Thu, 12 Apr 2001 02:00:00 GMT
 BASIC compiler written in BASIC yet?

Quote:

>> Anyone heard of a BASIC compiler for the PC written in BASIC?

>> I've looked over the BASM series, but it's lacking alot of advanced
>> features.

>> PB seems to be a good candidate for me to write a free GNU BASIC
>> compiler compatible with QB and PB.

Diggins farted:

Quote:
>News Flash DUDE!   William Yu just released a cross platform freeware
>BASIC COMPILER. Seems like everyone is PRODUCING compilers EXCEPT YOU.

Never said *I* was writing one, just that I thought it was a good
idea.

Quote:
>> Also, anyone do any head to head benchmarks and EXE size results for
>> say, QB4x, PDS7x, PB3x and GFA?>

>Behold the classic  "Hello World" program sizes.  What does it mean?

>BASM              =         160 bytes
>QB45              =      12,292 bytes
>PB3.0             =      10,992 bytes
>The Dude Compiler = data not available ( The Dude Compiler is still a dream )

Oh yes. The useful "Hello world." program. I recall alot of Fortune
500's using that as an app.

Hows BASM's sieve of erothesenes, integer, long interger and floating
point marks? How about it's file IO, graphics and recursive function
speeds?

BTW, ever going to write your own assembler and linker, or always
going to piggy back on other work?

BASM is only a converter and cannot take credit for the output of the
non KD assember and linker.

Also, you forgot:

Assembly - Hello world = 19 bytes.
PDQ and QB4x/PDS7x - 600 bytes
ASIC = 350 bytes
Micro C - 300 bytes
Terse - 19 bytes

BASM is basically a macro assembler language front end, and you take
credit for the assembler/linker output? Time to deflate your ego a bit
- your {*filter*} will perhaps grow eventually.

Quote:
>Perhaps you should consider joining the Alt.Lang.Basic.Compiler NG.  They have
>a swell web site and they promise to one day produce a Free Basic Compiler
>that rivals the commercial packages.  Just like you!   Right now though, they
>just don't have a compiler of their own to offer. Also, just like you :-(

Never claimed nor promised a BASIC compiler. Just said I thought it
was a good idea, child. I must have skipped reading the rule that one
must have written a compiler to give their opinion of one.

Quote:
>Maybe they'll let you be the Chief Executive Technical Assistant WebMaster and
>then you can add some ~ really cool ~ animated web graphics to their web site.
>That way, visitors will have something to do while they wait for The Dude
>Whiz-Bang Free Basic Compiler to be invented.  Great idea ... yes?  no?

Darn. You really need to get to the restroom with your Penthouse and
relieve some of that {*filter*}tension you seem to so much enjoy.

Dude

Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
[...]

Jeez, I love a good flame war, especially in such a nice, quiet NG filled
with dilligent programmers. Is it me or are flames sooo much more exciting
when its just an all out attack stemming from a fairly innocent post?
Its almost hypnotic, kinda like watching a nice quiet family man snap and
butcher his whole family...<g>

C'mon, peace you guys.

-- Jon.
Jonathan M Baker                     Member of PLOT

Tron Software                       "Hey...kinda feel like God"
   - - - - - - - - MEMBER OF THE FIRST CHURCH OF WINTERMUTE - - - - - - -

Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Writing a BASIC-like compiler in PowerBasic

2. BASIC COMPILER : BYWATER BASIC

3. BETTER BASIC - old Basic Language Compiler

4. Compiler switches for MS Basic Compiler 5.35

5. Is there a BASIC interpeter or compiler written in BASIC?

6. Yet another Quick Basic Web page...

7. Visual Basic NET Any one try it yet?

8. Help finding basic compiler for Pocket PC

9. The Basic compiler is unable to recover...

10. Free/Share Basic software with compiler

11. visual basic compiler

12. 8051 Basic Compiler - XBasic