Detecting sound card for playing WAV files
Author Message
 Detecting sound card for playing WAV files

I'm using VB3 Pro and I can play sound from my programs with:
declare Function mciExecute Lib "MMSystem" (ByVal Filename as String) as
        Integer

and then by calling it with :
        Result = mciExecute("C:\windows\tada.wav")

My question is, is there a way to detect that a sound card exists, or
that windows has the ability to play WAV files.  Or if the system doesn't
have a sound card and can't play wav files, and I try to play a wav file
will that cause an error and stop execution?

If I can't find an answer, would someone be willing to run a program for
me and report the results back?

Thanks in advance

Greg

The Complete Solution BBS     Allfiles List:    Anonymous UUCP Calls Accepted
707-459-4547 (24hrs, v.32)    ~/tcsbbs.lst      Login: nuucp  Password: nuucp

Fri, 31 Jan 1997 00:37:59 GMT
 Detecting sound card for playing WAV files
Check the WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI, there are some sections that should answer
that:

[mci extensions]  in WIN.INI
wav=waveaudio
mid=sequencer
rmi=sequencer
avi=AVIVideo
MMM=MMMovie
mov=QTWVIDEO
fli=Animation1
flc=Animation1

[mci]
Sequencer=mciseq.drv
WaveAudio=mciwave.drv
CDAudio=mcicda.drv
QTWVIDEO=MCIQTW.DRV
Animation1=MCIAAP.DRV
mixer=mcimixer.drv
AVIVideo=mciavi.drv

[drivers]
timer=timer.drv
AUX=sbpaux.drv
MIDI=sbp2fm.drv
Wave=sbpsnd.drv
MIDI1=sbpsnd.drv
VIDC.CVID=iccvid.drv
VIDC.MSVC=msvidc.drv
VIDC.IV31=indeov.drv
VIDC.MRLE=msrle.drv
VIDC.RT21=indeov.drv
VIDC.YVU9=indeov.drv
WaveMapper=msacm.drv
MSACM.msadpcm=msadpcm.acm
MSACM.imaadpcm=imaadpcm.acm
MidiMapper=midimap.drv
mixer=sbpmix.drv
VIDC.IV32=ir32.dll

Martin Evaldsen

: -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Bainbridge Knowledge Management Arts, Inc.  Serving Puget Sound since 1987
  Gurus' in Visual Basic, Access Basic, NT SQL, Client/Server in WIndows

     DLL, VBX, OCX developers      | Winhelp/Viewer/Advisor Custom Tools

Tue, 04 Feb 1997 21:37:41 GMT

1. Playing *.wav file w/out sound card.

2. Playing WAV file in Win 95 with no sound card

3. Capturing sound info from sound card without a WAV file

4. Detecting when a wav has finsihed playing on a sound device

5. Urgent, How to: Play sound using sound card?

6. Urgent, How to: Play sound using sound card?

7. Playing multiple sound (wav) files at once

8. Playing WAV File using Sound Recorder

9. How to detect a wav file is playing

10. Sound Card <-> Sound Card Via Data

11. Streaming Wav Audio from a UDP network stream to the sound card

12. Playing a sound when two cards match...